Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 20th February 2009, 09:15   #1  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine

Location: Lowestoft, UK (but visit lots of places with bribes [beer])
How close are we to no DRM?

In keeping with the nature of Doom9 forums about (most) things digital and backup rights associated in that respect, I spotted the following comic today: [link removed]

How close are we to a DRM-free music business? Is the same thing likely to happen to video too, or will studios think that's just a big step too far?

Discuss.

Last edited by Guest; 20th February 2009 at 14:21. Reason: link violates rule 4
Inventive Software is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 20:06   #2  |  Link
Ranguvar

A few game manufacturers have dipped their toes into the no-copy-protection pool, but most still rely on crap piles like SecuROM and SafeDisc. IMO that's where the battle will go next, and from there, the rest of the software industry. This will take a while.

Also video - once we have Blu-rays and DVDs mass-produced unencumbered, we've won. Still a ways off, but some day
Ranguvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2009, 17:01   #3  |  Link
Esurnir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranguvar View Post
A few game manufacturers have dipped their toes into the no-copy-protection pool, but most still rely on crap piles like SecuROM and SafeDisc. IMO that's where the battle will go next, and from there, the rest of the software industry. This will take a while.

Also video - once we have Blu-rays and DVDs mass-produced unencumbered, we've won. Still a ways off, but some day
I concure, DRM are far from disapearing, even after the Spore massacre some producer still rely on it. Oh and atari ceo seems to believe that the trust computing initiative will be where they'll hide their next drm. As if it'll help.
Esurnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2009, 07:10   #4  |  Link
Sagekilla
x264aholic

I feel they're moving away from the intrusive systems and into more subtle versions that don't try to hijack your computer (read: Starforce). With the music industry, we got a big win with Amazon and iTunes.

But no DRM at all? I think that's a bit way off. I think we're gonna move into support based DRM: look at Sins of a Solar Empire for example, you can play the game legitimately without a CD (!) or having to put in any serial key, internet activation, etc. If you wanna update the game you have to enter a serial key first though.

Nifty, if you ask me. It doesn't stop you from playing the game in any way, but if you want an enhanced experience with all the latest updates you have to enter your serial key to get those updates
Old 8th March 2009, 09:50   #5  |  Link
Hard Core Rikki
Calling to the night...

Rather than technical locks, it might be theyre favoring approaches like traitor tracing, like unique customer prints hashed into music files or the metadata (iTunes-purchased tracks had that, I believe). Rather than preventing 'sharing', allow to trackback sharers to the source (for either fine or just statistical purposes, such as to identify significant offenders).

@ES: @ruantec Entertainment Software
Website | Forum

Last edited by Hard Core Rikki; 8th March 2009 at 09:57.
Hard Core Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drm, drm free