Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 13th December 2009, 01:18   #1  |  Link
pacaveli211

HDDVD pulldown and deinterlacing

I currently have an HDDVD (ripped to hdd) which has 1080i/29.97fps video. I'm lookin for someone who better understands this to possibly clarify a couple things. with tsmuxer I can remove pulldown resulting in a bluray compliant 23.976fps video but it still indicates it's interlaced. is tsmuxer not properly removing the pulldown or should the video then be de-interlaced also? the video will be run through ripbot264 so I have deinterlace options of: TFF / BFF / IVTC. Using IVTC and decimate does not work properly as it ends up deleting frames =P. I can use the IVTC and change the output speed to 23.976 and that appears to work properly as I end up with 1080p/23.976fps video and there don't seem to be any audio sync issues. but I'm not sure if that's how it should be done or if that's improperly keeping some of the pulldown frames.
pacaveli211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 01:59   #2  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

Post a sample; a minute of main movie video cut with TSMuxer and left in an M2TS container will suffice.
Inspector.Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 02:27   #3  |  Link
pacaveli211

tsmuxer isn't properly muxing into m2ts
I do have a few files that I muxed to mkv using mkvmerge, would those suffice?

also I noticed when doing any muxing with tsmuxer it says:
VC-1 manual setted fps not equal stream fps. Change VC-1 fps from 29.97 to 23.976
and it aborts with the error: Reading buffer overflow. Possible container streams are not syncronized. Please, verify stream fps
Old 13th December 2009, 02:43   #4  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

As long as the original video isn't re-encoded, that'll be fine. In the interim, try VC1Conv or eac3to for pulldown removal instead.
Old 13th December 2009, 03:07   #5  |  Link
pacaveli211

here's about a 1min clip cut using mkvmerge
Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?dmztvqnzv2z
also I know eac3to will do the pulldown removal. but if the software I have will already do it....
Old 13th December 2009, 04:08   #6  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

MediaInfo reports pulldown, eac3to and tsmuxer successfully remove it here. The picture is jerky here afterwards, though, and the timeline (I've seen Chronicles of Riddick) doesn't seem to match the reported runtime, so either the disc was really badly created or your cutting method was faulty (I suspect the latter). TSMuxerGUI muxes to M2TS perfectly here; to eliminate such issues, an M2TS sample would be better.
Old 13th December 2009, 04:49   #7  |  Link
pacaveli211

well as I said tsmuxer errors after about 10% muxing to m2ts, and it desyncs the audio throughout. most likely because it's tryin to remux the video at 24p instead of 30p
here is a chunk of the original file itself, unmodified in any way (other than chopping)
Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/?znx03tmgtym
Old 13th December 2009, 05:02   #8  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

Code:
eac3to feature2.evo 1: test.mkv 2: test.dts
works fine here. Produces a 24/1.001 VC-1 stream correctly flagged as progressive inside a Matroska container and an external dts file with only a -1ms unfixable delay (because smaller than DTS frame) produced by cutting. These two output files can then be muxed to Matroska with mkvmerge or M2TS with TSMuxerGUI. Any remaining problems?
Old 13th December 2009, 05:10   #9  |  Link
pacaveli211

well just back to my original question. does this only need to have the pulldown removed, or does it need to have pulldown removed and then be deinterlaced?
possibly after running it through tsmuxer and having the pulldown removed it just doesn't correct it to say it's 1080p (instead of 1080i)??
Old 13th December 2009, 05:14   #10  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

That's just a display thing peculiar to TSMuxerGUI. It's soft telecined; removing the pulldown leaves only progressive frames.
Old 13th December 2009, 05:20   #11  |  Link
pacaveli211

awesome, that's what I needed to know

I already ran the whole thing through tsmuxer removing the pulldown already
so I'll just reencode to drop the bitrate and all should be well

appreciate the help, thanks