Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 13th October 2010, 15:29   #1  |  Link
Klagar

FFMPEG versions

Hi everyone !

I once started a thread that talked about the subject, but I reckoned it deserved a whole new thread since I want to ask in a whole new way.

We've had some issues making up command lines in FFMPEG which would fit our needs, chiefly because, I recently discovered, we use simultaneously two versions of FFMPEG. The principal one is installed on a Linux system, and I'm not sure what exact version it is, but I guess it would be the most recent one. It serves for batch encodes.
The second is version SVN-r18709, installed on Windows XP, and is used when we need to encode one particular video that does not fit in the batch.

To avoid having as well two versions of every command line, we designed ones that work equally well on both versions. That gave us, without surprise, exceedingly complicated lines, in which most people understand about half the parameters. And many of these parameters, when changed, make the command line unable to function on one system, or both of them.

So my question is this : can anyone tell me if there are any notable differences between the two aforementionned versions ? As an example, we noticed that the -trellis, -qcomp and -qmax parameters behaved differently depending the version used.

When I asked the question the first time, I thought we had the same FFMPEG on both Linux and Windows, and so most people assured me there should be no such discrepancy. But now that I know this is not only the OS differing, and especially since our Windows' version is dated 2009, maybe some new comprehension could come out of it ?

We will undoubtedly update our Windows side, but for now, I must try and understand what exactly went wrong all this time.

Thanks for any information or useful link !
Klagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 19:26   #2  |  Link
Selur

over at http://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer-win32/files/ you can find more current revision is 25107, afaik current versions don't really differ like you mentioned between linux&windows
Old 13th October 2010, 20:28   #3  |  Link
Chikuzen
typo lover

Latest ffmpeg for windows(and for MacOS X) is here.
They are updated on almost everyday.
However, "daily ffmpeg package for Linux" doesn't exist anywhere about all over the world.
thus I recommend you to compile ffmpeg (both for windows and for Linux from same revision) by yourself.

Last edited by Chikuzen; 13th October 2010 at 20:33.
Chikuzen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
differences, ffmpeg, linux, version, windows