Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Old 9th May 2021, 22:54   #961  |  Link
real.finder

in general the problems come from dlls not avsi, QTGMC is avsi so update it or downgrade it probably will not do big change in this case
Old 10th May 2021, 08:03   #962  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

@Morku:

Just to add confidence in the source: VirtualDub has a "Scan for errors" command in the "Video" menu, which will decode the source quickly without any processing, useful for AVIs in doubt.

But if you say it's a random position, it is probably rather some processing issue. Does it completely stop, or is the harddisk very active (like swapping RAM), are there even noises of retrying access? Even if not the video file, maybe a swap file...

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2021, 09:02   #963  |  Link
Morku

Scanning for errors says, all fine:

Yes, the avs processing (unreleated to the encoding) just directly stop. There is no slowing down, warnings etc. ahead. The processing never finish, because it stops at a random frame count. There is also no more HDD activity (to read the avi) anymore. The onliest activity on this HDD is for Avisynth/Encoding. The HDD itself is still accessible and works fine when the issue occur. I can continue working normally on HDD. There are also no related errors in Windows eventviewer when the issue occur. It's only the avisynth processing which stops. My HDD Dock will bring the HDD even in sleep mode, because there is no more activity "during the progress".
But as said, I copied the video on my internal SSD with the same result, so this should be unreleated to the dock and used HDD.

Tried with ColorBars -> same issue.
Now I started to downgrade MVTools, MaskTools, RgTools, JPSDR tools one version by one. Tried 2 previous version with... same issue :|
Morku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2021, 09:19   #964  |  Link
real.finder

Morku, I note that you have avstp.dll, delete it and try
Old 10th May 2021, 12:48   #965  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

It would be a good idea to remove to a BackUp folder, all plugins not required by QTGMC, and retry on Colorbars.

If bug gone, continue using Colorbars, add back some dll's until problem returns, keep log of plugins added back, remove/addback
to narrow down problem plugin.

EDIT: Remove all plugins except those requred by QTGMC(Preset="Medium", EdiMode="NNEDI3", Sharpness=1.0)

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 10th May 2021 at 12:51.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2021, 13:21   #966  |  Link
Morku

I think real.finder found the issue =)
I removed avstp.dll and it's the first time AVSMeter finished the video.

So I updated my dll files back to latest, loaded my original Script and directly run a MeGUI encoding and it finished as well!
Thank you so much!

I didn't thought the reason could be found with that odd issue. Also it never occur before.
Old 10th May 2021, 14:50   #967  |  Link
manolito

Interesting...

I never had a problem with avstp.dll, probably because I followed a recommendation by almosely.
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...79#post1865279
The relevant information is in the third paragraph of the post.

At the end of any MT enabled script I have this:
avstp_set_threads(1)
Prefetch(Min(Int(Value(GetSystemEnv("NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS"))),8))

The prefetch command was inspired by Myrsloik, and for my Core i5 (2 physical cores plus Hyperthreading) this results in a prefetch value of 4.

Last edited by manolito; 10th May 2021 at 15:11.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2021, 17:24   #968  |  Link
real.finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morku View Post
I think real.finder found the issue =)
I removed avstp.dll and it's the first time AVSMeter finished the video.

So I updated my dll files back to latest, loaded my original Script and directly run a MeGUI encoding and it finished as well!
Thank you so much!

I didn't thought the reason could be found with that odd issue. Also it never occur before.
that mean it's mvtools bug with avstp.dll
Old 10th May 2021, 20:07   #969  |  Link
Dogway

Is this by design?
Code:
expr(" sx width / range_size * ", "range_half","range_half", scale_inputs = "none" )
Creates a PC levels ramp.

Code:
ConvertBits(16)
expr(" sx width / range_size * ", "range_half","range_half", scale_inputs = "none" )
Creates a TV levels ramp.

EDIT: Might be avspmod related.

Last edited by Dogway; 12th May 2021 at 13:26.
Dogway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2021, 12:51   #970  |  Link
pinterf

Quote:
Originally Posted by real.finder View Post
that mean it's mvtools bug with avstp.dll
We know nothing about the problem other than removing avstp dll from behind a complex script stopped random freezing after some hundred thousand frames.

I suppose Morku is the only one with such experiences, and would like to help solving the issue

You can report it for me or for anyone but if something is not reproducible then it will be unanswered for sure.

- monitor processor temperature (though using avsmeter w/o encoding doesn't seem to have much burden on the processor)
- keeping avstp there in its place (which version?), then
- start providing mt=false parameters one-by-one for the appropriate mvtools functions (I don't know what is used in the actual script, probably MAnalyze, MDegrain, MSuper? which have such mt parameter which can be disabled. See mvtools html docs)
- Run qtgmc with parameters which do less and less things inside.
- or build a script from zero until you experience the freeze
pinterf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2021, 17:24   #971  |  Link
Morku

I would like to help to solve the issue, but from current perspective I think it's a waste of time.
I copied back avstp.dll (1.0.4 x64 btw.) and guess what... I run the script in AVSMeter and it finished fine again. This makes it suspicious if removing avstp.dll really was the issue. But it was the onliest I changed on my system to solve it.

Also other utvideo avi with QTGMC and shorter runtime (a 20 minutes video, 30 minutes video, 10 minutes video) directly encoded fine before I had the trouble with that longer time video (90 minutes) which stopped processing mostly after 8-15 minutes of video.

If I could see in detail whats going on in background and 'whatever part of my PC stops for no reason'... it could be helpful.

Temperature during AVSMeter was about under 60°C on my CPU (HWiNFO).

If there is anything you might think I could test, please let me know, I will do, but you might need show me in detail what to change and load.
Now, I will keep avstp.dll just to see if the issue reoccur and if deleting avstp.dll will solve it again.
In 30 minutes is Patchday. Pretty sure this time Microsoft will solve all Windows 10 bugs
Old 11th May 2021, 23:44   #972  |  Link
mp3dom

I have the same issue here, and happens with plain QTGMC() (preset medium without any other parameter) and something more complex. On VDub I get the error that it's waiting the frame without success and ask me if I want to wait more. Obviously it stays there forever. If I abort the process then Vdub crash.

I actually have avstp but I'm not calling it in any way (it's not in the autoload folder, I have nothing in autoload besides the default 4-5 plugins installed by default by Avisynth).
I'll try on my side as well and report back (I'm using QTGMC intensively lately). Didn't report earlier because no one reported similar issue, I thought it was my fault or my configuration error...

It's very difficult to "reproduce" because sometimes it happens and sometimes not, even with the same file. Sometimes 1 time every 5, and sometimes 2-3 times every 5. It seems quite "random".

Last edited by mp3dom; 11th May 2021 at 23:50.
mp3dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2021, 04:09   #973  |  Link
real.finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3dom View Post
I have the same issue here, and happens with plain QTGMC() (preset medium without any other parameter) and something more complex. On VDub I get the error that it's waiting the frame without success and ask me if I want to wait more. Obviously it stays there forever. If I abort the process then Vdub crash.

I actually have avstp but I'm not calling it in any way (it's not in the autoload folder, I have nothing in autoload besides the default 4-5 plugins installed by default by Avisynth).
I'll try on my side as well and report back (I'm using QTGMC intensively lately). Didn't report earlier because no one reported similar issue, I thought it was my fault or my configuration error...

It's very difficult to "reproduce" because sometimes it happens and sometimes not, even with the same file. Sometimes 1 time every 5, and sometimes 2-3 times every 5. It seems quite "random".
fun fact: even if you don't put avstp.dll in autoload folder, if you put it with mvtools or any other plugin that use it in same folder and then load that plugin in avs that plugin will load it!
Old 14th May 2021, 10:50   #974  |  Link
mp3dom

Indeed, without avstp at all I've batch-processed more than 20 files (at 25min each on average) without any issue... and never encounter this success-rate before.
Avstp version used was 1.0.4 (the last compile from 2020/2021)
mp3dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2021, 19:25   #975  |  Link
Morku

Good to know I am not alone with that odd issue and more importantly, I am not insane
Old 15th May 2021, 20:50   #976  |  Link
real.finder

ok then, since QTGMC is huge, maybe start test with

Code:
super = MSuper()

bv2 = super.MAnalyse(isb = true,  delta = 2, overlap= 4)
bv1 = super.MAnalyse(isb = true,  delta = 1, overlap= 4)
fv1 = super.MAnalyse(isb = false, delta = 1, overlap= 4)
fv2 = super.MAnalyse(isb = false, delta = 2, overlap= 4)

MDegrain2(super, bv1, fv1, bv2, fv2, thSAD=300, thSADC=150)
Old 19th May 2021, 19:54   #977  |  Link
sofakng

Does AviSynth (+) support DXVA2 or D3D11 hardware decoding?

I'm confused on how my system is playing back videos...

Here is my configuration:

- Windows 10 x64 (Nvidia GTX 3080 / Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz)
- LAV Filters v0.75
- AviSynth+v3.7.0
- AviSynth Filter v1.0 (no scripts loaded)
- MPC-HC v1.9.8.75 (with AviSynth Filter enabled with 'Preferred' but no scripts loaded)

If I select 'D3D11' (native or copy-back) with LAV then I get a black screen.
If I select 'DXVA2' (native or copy-back) it works but is extremely slow with 7K or 8K video.

The only method I can successfully play 7K or 8K is using D3D11 (native) or DXVA2 (native).

1) Does AviSynth+ support D3D11 hardware decoding in LAV Filters?
2) Does AviSynth+ force DXVA2 (native) into copy-back mode? For example, my 7K/8K videos playback perfectly with DXVA2 (native) but adding AviSynth Filter (but no scripts!) causes the playback to become extremely slow similar to copy-back methods.
sofakng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2021, 20:57   #978  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Decoding is not a matter of AviSynth, but a matter of the used source plugins. AviSynth is a video filter and frame server, optimized for accuracy over speed. It is not a replacement for DirectShow decoders.

New German Gleitz board
Old 20th May 2021, 14:26   #979  |  Link
sofakng

OK - I understand that AviSynth is not a decoder (ie. I'm using LAV Filters with hardware decoding), but AviSynth needs access to the decoded frame for processing, right?

Does this mean AviSynth is NOT compatible with DXVA2 or D3D11 Native-mode? Does it require copy-back instead?
sofakng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2021, 07:29   #980  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

There are decoder plugins which may have access to DirectX accelerated decoders, e.g. DirectShowSource, or to decoders in specific GPU chipsets, like DGDecNV using Nvidia PureVideo. But then, AviSynth needs the frame content in main RAM. A decoder which does not return the frame content but displays it immediately (i.e. connects to a renderer directly) has no value for a frame server which is supposed to filter the frame content further.

In most cases, AviSynth is used to serve filtered video to an encoder. In your case, it seems you try to use AviSynth to filter a video in a media player in real time?

New German Gleitz board

Last edited by LigH; 21st May 2021 at 07:32.