Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 3rd January 2010, 11:48   #1  |  Link
loom91

Hardware acceleration in MPC with subtitles

Hi,

I used to play videos mostly using VLC because it has lots of options, but for some reason it does not use hardware overlay on my machine even though the option is enabled (Core Duo notebook, nVidia 7400 Go GPU, Windows XP SP3). This was stopping me from playing high-res videos (CPU couldn't handle the load), so I switched to Media Player Classic.

Now MPC does use hardware overlay and after installing CoreAVC codec it decodes high-res x264 videos without problem, but I can't enable subtitles. To enable subtitles, whether embedded in container or .srt, I need to change the renderer and hardware overlay stops, causing jerky videos at high-res.

How can I have both smooth playback and subtitles? Will going over to Home Cinema help? Also, should I switch to The KMPlayer instead of VLC?

Thanks.

Molu
loom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 18:54   #2  |  Link
Pulstar

You can use ffdshow as PP filter (but without any actual post-processing) and use its subtitles feature. But make sure ffdshow doesn't take over CoreAVC in the process! The only downside to using ffdshow's subtitles is that you can't position the text towards the bottom of the screen, only relative to the actual video frame. Annoying for widescreen video.
Pulstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 20:44   #3  |  Link
loom91

Could you explain how I would set up ffdshow to show subtitles without taking over CoreAVC?
loom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 21:00   #4  |  Link
Hypernova

EVR CP don't give you smooth playback? I do not know how powerful your CPU is, but my ULV C2D 1.06 GHz can do 720p with animated subtitle (albeit barely). If you havn't try it yet, you should try EVR-CP with MPC-HC internal subtitle renderer. Just make sure you don't set the maximum subtitle texture too high.

Tags
hardware, mpc, subtitle, vlc, x264