Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Capturing Video

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14th August 2008, 16:50   #1  |  Link
robev

Can't fit ripped VHS movies onto one DVD

Hi there, I've had this problem for a while and I'm finally asking for help on it.

See I have all these home movies on VHS that I want to put on a single DVD for my family to watch on any DVD player, and to have a menu so I can pick from the many movies.

I have a capture card so I was able to rip the tapes by connecting my VCR to my computer. I had to use two different methods of ripping, one was using VirtualDub and compressing it with DivX, the other was Windows Movie Maker (bleh). I had to use windows movie maker because I wanted to put several clips from the same tape into one video file, and that program made it easy. All this means is i have a couple video files as .wmv instead of .avi.

Now when I used various DVD authoring software it always bloated the 1GB of video I had into ~10GB or more, so I had no chance of fitting it on a 4.3GB DVD. I never understood why until I did some research and realized that to play on a DVD player the video files must be converted to a different format, and this format was bloating the file size.

Since I could not post on this site for 5 days after registration, I thought I'd do everyone a favor and search the forums. I found this thread to be very useful: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...highlight=menu

Unfortunately it did not solve my problem. When I followed the steps provided by "setarip_old", DVD shrink could only shrink the files to 5.5GB, so it STILL won't fit on one DVD.

The only thing I can think of is that when compressing the video files when I ripped them, I didn't compress the audio, so doing that might make all the files small enough that when they're converted to vob and shrunk again with dvdshrink it will fit.

Any other suggestions though? I would really appreciate it, and would like to have this fixed before the 19th as I go on vacation then.
robev is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dvd, menu, ripping, shrink, vhs