Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

View Poll Results: HD-DVD on a DVD+/-R DL...
.EVO output support for tsMuxeR is overdue! 13 43.33%
.EVO output support for tsMuxer is a waste of roman's time. 2 6.67%
hddvdmuxer will get there, you just wait... 3 10.00%
HD-DVD is dead, wake up, dude! 14 46.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27th September 2008, 15:42   #1  |  Link
jofarmer

vote here if you want HD DVD output

Thanks to this forum I learned everything necessary to create a BD9 from a Blu-ray disk. But I need to be able to make a HD-DVD on a DVD+R DL (call it Mini-HD-DVD or HD-DVD9, whatever you want) from these nice *.ac3, *.sup and *.264 files I created in the process.

But how? Nero will reencode everything I throw at it, Ulead Movie Factory refuses to do what I want (despite carefully reading through this thread), hddvdmuxer is not ready for prime time yet and tsmuxer (tough supporting .EVO input) does not support .EVO output, not to forget the needed folder structure.

So I want to ask all of you: is HD-DVD really this dead? I think at 8-15MBps one can produce pretty decent quality and at the price of Dual Layer DVD-/+R all those HD-DVD players could be pretty useful for quite some time.

Going through the forum I have the impression that only very few people are interested in this though, and I refuse to believe this. So (hopefully) to encourage the coders of all the fine software in this forum to support HD-DVD/.EVO-muxing I put up this poll. The war may be lost, but browncoats: the fight is never over! Come out and vote for your format, so your starships may have better things to do than menial upscaling.

Last edited by jofarmer; 27th September 2008 at 15:49.
jofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2008, 16:03   #2  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofarmer View Post
Going through the forum I have the impression that only very few people are interested in this though, and I refuse to believe this.
Well, I for one would surmise that although there may be many here who bought HD-DVD *first*, that given any/all new releases of programming are going to be BD folks have resigned themselves to acquire a BD-playback capability of some sort. So now, which format to make homemade discs in?

I for one do have the ability to make both types of discs (my source material being primarily OTA hd TV recordings) but when I think about which type of discs I should use "for posterity" it's hard to rationalize HD DVD, particularly as there ARE such easy-to-use freeware apps as tsMuxeR available, to output a BD structure for burning.
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2008, 16:15   #3  |  Link
setarip_old

@jofarmer

Click on the following link:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=137151
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2008, 16:20   #4  |  Link
jofarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
@jofarmer

Click on the following link:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=137151
Thank you, but if I'm not mistaken this threads describes how to create a BDMV from a HD DVD - and I would like to do exactly the opposite...
Old 27th September 2008, 16:24   #5  |  Link
jofarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserfan View Post
... but when I think about which type of discs I should use "for posterity" it's hard to rationalize HD DVD
Thank you, I hadn't even thought about that - the "future-proofiness" of your disks. I had only applied this thought to newly bought movies, but I see your point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserfan View Post
... particularly as there ARE such easy-to-use freeware apps as tsMuxeR available, to output a BD structure for burning.
And that is exactly what I hope might change in the future.
Old 27th September 2008, 17:04   #6  |  Link
setarip_old

@jofarmer

The opening paragraph of the first post to the thread I pointed you to at: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=137151

Quote:
This guide will describe an extremely basic method of decrypting an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray disc, excluding all "unnecessary" audio tracks, creating an image (.iso) of your movie, and finally, playing it back. Please note that there are definitely multiple ways to do this and multiple programs that can be used. In addition, there are many many more steps that can be included for various processing needs, this guide is meant to cover just the absolute basics and hopefully help out those who are just starting out. This guide is broken up into 2 sections: the first is related to HD-DVD's and the second for Blu-Rays.
**EDIT** The good folks at Toshiba have just seen fit to provide a firmware update (v.4.0) for what appears to be their entire line of HD-DVD players. Go here for the download:

http://www.tacp.com/customersupport/

Enjoy!

Last edited by setarip_old; 27th September 2008 at 18:52.
Old 27th September 2008, 23:54   #7  |  Link
jofarmer

@ setarip_old

after jumping to the HD DVD section you will discover that this post is about being able to play back a HD DVD by changing in into a BMDV:
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadcoreHD View Post
(...)
Step 2: Demux feature files in EVODemux
Step 3: Mux audio and video with TSMuxer
-Open the video and audio tracks you've just demux with EVODemux in TSMuxer.
-Select "Create Blu-Ray Disk" under Output
-Hit "Start Muxing".
-this will create a folder titled "BDMV" on your desktop (or wherever you place it on your system).
Step4: Create an .iso of the "BDMV" folder with ImgBurn
(...)
And as I said, that may be helpful information to others but has nothing to do with what I aim to achieve.

And thanks for the link to the new firmwares, I didn't know about that yet :-)

Last edited by jofarmer; 27th September 2008 at 23:56.
Old 2nd October 2008, 00:37   #8  |  Link
vmrsss

yes, I would like to be able to output hddvd from h.264 encoded with x264. I spent weeks trying to do so; the sad truth is that there aren't any reliable tools for that, the existing ones are all broken and buggy (eg toast). I suppose I will soon get to the point where it will be cheaper for me to trash my tosh hddvd and buy a new BD player, rather than keep wasting time (and money) on hopeless software.
vmrsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2008, 10:47   #9  |  Link
ReferenceDivx

I cheated and voted for my program. Hopefully the new release will fix some issues.
ReferenceDivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2008, 11:42   #10  |  Link
jofarmer

No cheating in that! To be honest, I think a working hddvdmuxer is more likely than a new version of tsmuxer with HD DVD support...
Old 7th October 2008, 12:20   #11  |  Link
themaskfly

i always dreams of a tool as hddvd remuxer. the scenarist has dame GOP restriction, and the others tools just mess up everything (Ulead or Nero).
themaskfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2008, 01:22   #12  |  Link
setarip_old

@jofarmer

Does the following address what you're seeking? :

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...51&postcount=1
Old 8th October 2008, 07:14   #13  |  Link
jofarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
Does the following address what you're seeking? :
Thank you for that link, up until now I had been using AnyDVD HD in a VirtualBox Win Installation, so replacing that with OSS is a step in the right direction.

But I am appalled that it obviously still is not clear what I want to to: In short, I want to create HD DVDs from Blu-rays. That does involve demuxing, but demuxing has never been the problem - muxing has. ReferenceDivX's hddvdmuxer is the first program that promises to mux the audio and video streams I created by demuxing (for instance) a Blu-ray into a container playable on HD DVD Players. And that's what I am trying to to. On Linux (preferred) or a VirtualBox Win installation (acceptable).

edit: hm, not sure, but DumpHD may not be OSS after all. But it runs in Linux, so I'm happy.

Last edited by jofarmer; 8th October 2008 at 07:48.

Tags
.evo, hd-dvd, mux