Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Closed Thread

Old 23rd February 2017, 13:43   #1161  |  Link
Triple-M

I don't know what you mean, there is only 3D on/off and Side-by-Side or Top-Bottem as Option. The UHD Player from Panasonic plays the Movie also correct and normal.

Old 23rd February 2017, 14:03   #1162  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Well, you told me this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple-M View Post
Under the Player MrMC in my Apple TV i can change the Pixel Ratio in the options from 1.00 to 0.50 and then the Movie Looks normal.
Perhaps there is a similar option in the settings of your Panasonic TV. Or something to tell it to always display the 3D movies in full screen (16:9)? That's what my Samsung TV does anyway.

The 3D button on the remote is only used to switch the 3D mode on or off, or to select the correct SBS or T&B mode of movies that are encoded without the right information. (That button should be useless with 3D movies encoded with BD3D2MK3D, because the info is encoded in the MKV file, and should be recognised by a good 3D TV.) Anyway, recognising that a movie is in 3D is not sufficient to display it with the correct aspect ratio. It's why there is perhaps another option somewhere, although I have never seen that in hardware players or 3D TVs. Since your TV seems to be different than the vast majority of the players, it may have that option, but of course, I can't be sure.
Old 23rd February 2017, 14:14   #1163  |  Link
Triple-M

Ok i look but i thing there is nothing. My TV doesn't recognize that a 3D Movie is playing. The Sony does so but the Panasonic not. I have tried 3D or SBS in the filename but the TV doesn't recognize this and switch to 3D. Only when i play a 3D BluRay in the UHD-Player the TV switch to 3D Mode.

Old 23rd February 2017, 20:44   #1164  |  Link
Triple-M

There is no Option in the TV. I tried a little bit more and under the Plex Client the movie is normal hight if i deactivate the subtitle. If i activate the subtitle again, the movie squeezes. Is this a bug in Plex oder a problem with the file i encoded?

Old 23rd February 2017, 21:26   #1165  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

It seems that it's a bug in Plex. Or do you combine full-SBS with half-SBS subtitles?
Old 24th February 2017, 08:26   #1166  |  Link
Triple-M

No i use only half-SBS.

Old 24th February 2017, 09:25   #1167  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Then it's certainly a Plex bug.
Old 28th February 2017, 10:42   #1168  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

BD3D2MK3D v0.99

This version contains mainly a relatively important bug fix, and some improvements.
Quote:
v0.99 (February 28, 2017)
- Bug fix: The filter of the MPLS files to show crashed when comparing the number of 3D-Planes of two MPLS if one of them has no 3D-Plane.
- Added Settings -> MVC Decoder -> Hardware acceleration -> Online list of Intel CPUs supporting QuickSync (hardware acceleration for MVC decoding)
- Improved the paste operations (Control-V) in tab 3: Title & tags, when there are several lines in the clipboard.
- The BD3D2MK3D.log file is now included as an attachment in the final MKV file.
- Tools -> Chapters File Converter can now also load basic files with one timecode per line (tsMuxeR format)
- Updated the Mkvtoolnix exes to the latest version (v9.9.0)
- Updated the x265 exes to the latest version (v2.3+7 or v2.3+9)
Enjoy!

Download: BD3D2MK3D.7z
Old 4th March 2017, 11:19   #1169  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

BD3D2MK3D v0.100

Sorry, I've introduced a bug in the last version. This is the fix.
Quote:
v0.100 (March 3, 2017)
- Bug introduced in v0.99: Error when pasting in some fields of the Title & Tags tab.
Download: BD3D2MK3D.7z
Old 10th April 2017, 11:46   #1170  |  Link
Araldwenn

Hi,

I'd like to simply convert an MVC bluray to FullSBS, without re-encoding it (well, in fact, I want it to be lossless).
Is BD3D2MK3D the right tool, ans if yes, how should I set it in order to do that ?

Last edited by Araldwenn; 10th April 2017 at 12:25.
Old 10th April 2017, 12:21   #1171  |  Link
robl45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araldwenn View Post
Hi,

I'd like to simply convert an MVC bluray to FullSBS, without re-encoding it (well, in fact, I want it to be lossless).
Is BD3D2MK3D the right tool, ans if yes, how should I tweak it in order to do that ?
I gotta ask why you would want to convert to the least compatible format Of all?
Old 10th April 2017, 13:34   #1172  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Good question, robl45!

And I add that you cannot make a full-SBS without re-encoding, because the native BD3D format is AVC+MVC (two video streams encoded differently), and the format of Full-SBS is a single stream (with the two views side by side) encoded in pure AVC (or another format such as HEVC). Therefore, no, BD3D2MK3D cannot do that, but what you want cannot be done, with BD3D2MK3D or any other tool.

You can however re-encode with any CRF value, including CRF 0, meaning lossless. But the output file will be MUCH larger than the original BD, and you will probably be unable to store the final MKV on a standard HDD! Is it really what you want?

Note also that with a reasonable CRF value (say around 20), you will probably be unable to see the difference with the original (unless you use comparison tools to highlight the differences). Why do you want to waste disc space for a supposed high quality that your eyes are unable to see?

If you really want to keep the original video streams without re-encoding them, try MakeMKV. It can store the AVC and MVC streams in a single MKV, but only one or two software players are currently able to play the generated video in 3D. And of course, it's not Full-SBS. IMO, that solution is roughly equivalent to doing a backup of the original movie, but without a real possibility to watch it.

Last edited by r0lZ; 10th April 2017 at 13:37.
Old 10th April 2017, 13:59   #1173  |  Link
Araldwenn

That's the problem. There's no free video player that allows me to read mvc videos (stereoscopic player does it very well, but it's not free). I actually use sView, which works perfectly with full SBS videos, but doesn't work with those made with MakeMKV.
Well, then, I haven't encoded any movie for a long time, and I used to make a 2 pass encoding.
I see there is many other options to choose (CRF, CQ, 2 pass, ABR). Which one should I use to have the best quality with a decent file size, I mean something about 15/20 Gb ?

Last edited by Araldwenn; 10th April 2017 at 14:09.
Old 10th April 2017, 14:48   #1174  |  Link
robl45

Kodi has version that plays mvc as well as mad vr with lav filters through mpc. I been using the latter for months now

Quote:
That's the problem. There's no free video player that allows me to read mvc videos (stereoscopic player does it very well, but it's not free). I actually use sView, which works perfectly with full SBS videos, but doesn't work with those made with MakeMKV.
Well, then, I haven't encoded any movie for a long time, and I used to make a 2 pass encoding.
I see there is many other options to choose (CRF, CQ, 2 pass, ABR). Which one should I use to have the best quality with a decent file size, I mean something about 15/20 Gb ?
Old 10th April 2017, 15:49   #1175  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Personally, I prefer CRF, that gives ALWAYS a better result than 2-pass for the same global bitrate. But with CRF, it is not easy to predict (even approximately) the resulting file size, because it compresses much more the "easy" movies such as the Pixar films in computer graphics than the "difficult" ones like the live action films of the 80's, or the old 3D movies of the 50's with much noise. That's normal, because CRF adapts automatically its compression to the image, something that doesn't do 2-pass or, of course, ABR (= 1-pass). CRF is also better than CQ because it compresses more the blurred part of the images with fast action (motion blur), because it is impossible for the human eye to distinguish the loss of quality in moving images (unless you press the pause button, of course). It has therefore more bitrate to spend for the slow or static images, where small defects are more visible. CRF is therefore the more intelligent way to encode a video, and I don't understand why peoples continue to use 2-pass. (2-pass should be used ONLY when the final file size must be precisely controlled, like when you encode to put the movie on a DVD.)

The CRF value to use is another question. IMO, the default value of 23 is a good compromise between quality and disc space, but I prefer to use 20 for movies where the image quality matters much (like Sin City 2). However, even with CRF 20, you will never obtain a 20GB file. That's way too high IMO. Don't forget that the huge file sizes of the commercial BDs are so high simply for commercial reasons. A movie (with 1 AC3 audio stream) can be perfectly encoded with 4 to 8 GB, depending of the "difficulty" to encode it and its length. More than 10 GB is IMO total nonsense. You cannot see the difference with the same movie encoded at 8 or even 6 GB. Try it. Encode two movies with, say, CRF 20 and CRF 12, and ask a friend to show you both of them in random order. I'm sure you will not see what is what.

Anyway, you are free to use any CRF value. It is often explained that subtracting 3 to the CRF value has roughly the effect of doubling the size of the video stream. It's not really accurate, but take that in mind when you will try different values. (So, for example, CRF 10 may produce a video stream about 10 times larger than CRF 20, for an almost imperceptible visual improvement. But similarly, using CRF 26 may produce a really bad quality.)

Trust your eyes ONLY, and don't try to encode at a specific bitrate.

And, to reply to your initial question, if you re-encode in Full-SBS, then BD3D2MK3D is the tool to use! ;-)

Last edited by r0lZ; 10th April 2017 at 15:59. Reason: typo
Old 10th April 2017, 16:52   #1176  |  Link
Araldwenn

Thanks a lot for your clear answer

And what about presets and tune ? Do they have a big impact on encoding ? I've got a decent CPU (i7 3930k @4.6 Ghz).

Last edited by Araldwenn; 10th April 2017 at 16:59.
Old 11th April 2017, 08:42   #1177  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I don't use the tune (except sometimes PSNR or SSIM, when I want to measure the quality of the encoding). IMO, they are useless and often misleading. But I'm not an expert in encoding. Perhaps some of them are really useful in specific circumstances.

The presets have a big incidence on the quality and file size (and on the time necessary for the encoding). It is not easy to understand exactly what they do, because they change a lot of internal settings, and without knowing what settings are modified and how, and without knowing the specific advantages of each of these settings, selecting a different preset is mainly a blind operation. But it is clear that globally, choosing a slower preset compresses more for a quality approximately equivalent. But with the slower, very slow or placebo presets, I have noticed that my TV has some trouble when it decodes some sequences, and the playback may become somewhat jerky. For that reason, I prefer to use the slow preset. Placebo is also extremely slow, even with a powerful CPU! (If you encode in h265, all presets are also much slower!)

Note also that changing the preset may (and will) modify the level (if you don't force it). My TV doesn't support a level greater than 4.2, and if I use a slow preset, I need also to force the level to 4.1 or 4.2. Of course, if the level is restricted, the settings of the preset are modified and you cannot take advantage of its full power. It's another reason to not use a too slow preset. (Level 4.1 is the level used on the blu-ray discs, and is therefore well supported by the vast majority of the hardware players. Levels 5.0 and greater are for the ultra-HD resolutions and full-SBS or full-T&B. Of course, if you encode in Full-SBS, you will need at least level 5.0, and therefore you can use a very slow preset. But be sure that your hardware supports it!)

You can also specify specific settings in the "additional options" field, to modify the default settings of the selected preset and build your own preset. But that requires much knowledge, and if you are really interested in experimenting with the x264 options, I suggest to join the x264 encoding forum. Personally, I trust the authors of the x264 encoder, and I use the presets without trying to modify them much.

Last edited by r0lZ; 11th April 2017 at 08:49.
Old 11th April 2017, 09:51   #1178  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
.... But with the slower, very slow or placebo presets, I have noticed that my TV has some trouble when it decodes some sequences, and the playback may become somewhat jerky. For that reason, I prefer to use the slow preset....
Just a sidenote: In my experience it is good practice to add --bluray-compat to the x264 commandline. It may overwrite some of the more stringent settings of the --preset selection with more relaxed settings, but it definitely reduces the risk of playback issues.
Old 11th April 2017, 10:43   #1179  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Yes, I agree, although I don't use that option. And, of course, it is not compatible with Full-SBS, that cannot be encoded in level 4.1 and therefore cannot be BD compatible.

BTW, BD3D2MK3D has the option "BD compatible" that just enforces that --bluray-compat option (and disables some other incompatible options). Of course, that option is not available if you encode with x265, because HEVC is not BD compatible anyway.
Old 11th April 2017, 12:30   #1180  |  Link
tebasuna51

About x264 Presets, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
I don't use the tune... Perhaps some of them are really useful in specific circumstances.
--tune film
Equivalent to --deblock -1:-1 --psy-rd 1.0:0.15
Can improve the quality with a little more bitrate needed.
Recommended for dark movies or with flat colours.

Quote:
The presets... globally, choosing a slower preset compresses more for a quality approximately equivalent.
That is true. Here is a table with the more important parameters changed by presets:
Code:
                defect
Param./Preset   medium     slow       slower     veryslow  placebo
--------------  --------   --------   --------   --------  -------
bframes         3          -          -          8         16
ref             3          5          8          16        16
b-adapt         1 (fast)   -          2 (optim)  2         2
direct          spatial    auto       auto       auto      auto
me              hex        -          umh        umh       tesa
merange         16         -          -          24        24
subme           7          8          9          10        10
trellis         1 (on MB)  2 (on all) 2          2         2
rc-lookahead    40         50         60         60        60
partitions      def.(113)  -          all (133)  all       all
no-fast-pskip   -          -          -          -         yes
slow-firstpass  no         -          -          -         yes
The two first (B-frames and Ref-frames) are important in order to player compatibility. See the Level after.

The rest improve the source analysis and reduce bitrate (not much) for the same quality CRF selected. The cost is increasing the encoder time.

Quote:
But with the slower, very slow or placebo presets, I have noticed that my TV has some trouble when it decodes some sequences, ... My TV doesn't support a level greater than 4.2
Even some TV's or cheap standalone players are only certified for DivX Plus with Level 4.0 and max B-frames 3 like big limitations.

In order to understand the problem read the Levels and Decoded picture buffering parts in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC

You can see than in 4.0, 4.1 or 4.2 the max Ref-frames for a full 1920x1080 image is 4. For a cropped image 1920x800 you can use maybe 5 Ref-frames but not more.

Then the Slow Preset is in the limit about this, and is recommended the parameter --level 4.1 (or 4.0 or 4.2 at your choice) to limit x264 about vbv_bufsize (also limit vbv_maxrate but is not a problem normally with CRF 20).

If you want use a *slow* preset don't forget limit B and Ref frames or use the --level parameter.

Last edited by tebasuna51; 11th April 2017 at 12:32.
Closed Thread