Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > NLE - Non Linear Editing

Old 22nd June 2021, 22:33   #21  |  Link
kolak

GV lossless is nothing that special and 8bit only. It works well inside Edius of course

MagicYUV is way more features packed, faster and more efficient.
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2021, 23:38   #22  |  Link
mp3dom

I have always the doubt that inside a NLE these "external" codecs gets converted to RGB and then back to YUV, in a lossy way. At least with CLLC I'm sure that in that workflow nothing gets converted.
For example, what about UTVideo or MagicYUV once they're ingested into Premiere? Are we sure that the NLE itself doesn't convert the colorspaces in any way?
mp3dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2021, 16:12   #23  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Yes, most of them will negotiate RGB from the input codec or convert YUV to RGB internally.
Since most of compositing operations have to be done in RGB anyway most of Semi-Pro and Pro NLE makers seem to have adopted to decoding from <any codec> to RGB (Pro:32bpcfloat), do compositing/FX in RGB (Pro:32bpcfloat) and then outputting/encoding to <desired codec>,
Avid and the likes can output in 32bpc too, asking 128bpp uncompressed for RGBA.
YUV exemption: Edius (8-bit YUV engine, later 10-bit YUV engine) which I used to use 2005..2010 V4,V5,V6.
Vegas (I am on Vegas since 8 to 15) input negotiates RGB from codec and offers the choice of RGB 8-bit fixed or RGB 32-bit float engine/FX as per project settings.
Earlier Premiere (I was on Premiere from 6 to CS3) could handle YUV or RGB directly and restricted its FX depending on input codec, IIRC.
Old 26th June 2021, 15:08   #24  |  Link
PCU

MainConcept Beats Open Source

Save time and money without sacrificing quality!
HEVC_greater_efficiency
HEVC vs. x265
30% better bitrate encoding

AVC_save_time
AVC vs. x264
2x faster encoding

https://www.mainconcept.com/

Guys could you please benchmark MC's H.265 vs x265?
MainConcept TotalCode Studio (alternative to Adobe Media Encoder) demo is here:
https://www.mainconcept.com/e2t/tc/V...Qz84X_Fmz3pVf1
PCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2021, 13:52   #25  |  Link
kolak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3dom View Post
I have always the doubt that inside a NLE these "external" codecs gets converted to RGB and then back to YUV, in a lossy way. At least with CLLC I'm sure that in that workflow nothing gets converted.
For example, what about UTVideo or MagicYUV once they're ingested into Premiere? Are we sure that the NLE itself doesn't convert the colorspaces in any way?
It depends.
With Edius path will be established at YUV domain as this is Edius preferred method.
With Premiere not sure, but there is a way to display debug overlays and then you may see how it's handled (YUV or RGB).

MagicYUV developer was analysing it and I don't remember if it was codec suggesting format to NLE or other way. In case it's codec and NLE agrees to it then all should be fine as you will have native format as preferred.

You can always do simple test. Load video export as lossless or uncompressed and compare to source. If PSNR is infinite then all is fine.

Overall - native implementation or over some import API with full control is always preferred. DirectShow or VFW, etc. are not the best way.

Last edited by kolak; 1st July 2021 at 13:56.
Old 6th December 2021, 16:42   #26  |  Link
PCU

I'm looking for a pro de facto industry standard for audio editing, like Photoshop for images.
PCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2021, 17:10   #27  |  Link
VoodooFX
Banana User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCU View Post
I'm looking for a pro de facto industry standard for audio editing, like Photoshop for images.
I'm not a pro, but Adobe Audition looks good for me.
VoodooFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2021, 11:03   #28  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

ProTools is _the_ standard, period.
Old 14th December 2021, 15:11   #29  |  Link
kolak

Standard, wehre? In outdated broadcast\big facilities world?
It means not much. You can do about the same in many tools. ProTools may be overkill for many.
Same as AVID Media Composer is _the_standard. Yeeeee....no comment. As 1 man company (or even few people) would never touch Media Composer.

Last edited by kolak; 14th December 2021 at 15:16.
Old 15th December 2021, 19:37   #30  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Yeah, exactly. In big professional workflows with lots of people involved Avid MC and ProTools are nearly ubiquitous. Most full time editors literally only know Avid.
Old 16th December 2021, 18:11   #31  |  Link
kolak

At least recently AVID made MC more up to date.
In the past its performance was poor as hell.

When it comes to simple editing I prefer Edius. Unfortunately it's getting worse, but version 5.5 was most stable NLE I ever used (and I used all of them).

AVID operator are like Flame ones- they come from past and can't be bothered to learn anything else. With such an approach you have to be bit careful though It's very different world compared to one from 20 years ago.
Old 18th December 2021, 04:31   #32  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

I don't think there's any shortage of work for AVID editors If anything they're all just busier than ever. One of my family members works in post and good editors in TV can basically name their price. They're all totally non-technical too and don't know anything whatsoever about video. They have AEs who deal with all their ingest and exports and data management. They know AVID and nothing else and will likely never learn anything else unless for some reason the industry ditches AVID like it looked like was happening with Final Cut there for a bit.

It's an amazing job (often union too), but requires a lot of focus and some good creative skill to do well.

Last edited by Blue_MiSfit; 18th December 2021 at 04:34.
Blue_MiSfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2021, 10:43   #33  |  Link
richardpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCU View Post
MainConcept Beats Open Source

Save time and money without sacrificing quality!
HEVC_greater_efficiency
HEVC vs. x265
30% better bitrate encoding

AVC_save_time
AVC vs. x264
2x faster encoding

https://www.mainconcept.com/

Guys could you please benchmark MC's H.265 vs x265?
MainConcept TotalCode Studio (alternative to Adobe Media Encoder) demo is here:
https://www.mainconcept.com/e2t/tc/V...Qz84X_Fmz3pVf1
Nothing beats open source.
richardpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2021, 00:21   #34  |  Link
kolak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_MiSfit View Post
I don't think there's any shortage of work for AVID editors If anything they're all just busier than ever. One of my family members works in post and good editors in TV can basically name their price. They're all totally non-technical too and don't know anything whatsoever about video. They have AEs who deal with all their ingest and exports and data management. They know AVID and nothing else and will likely never learn anything else unless for some reason the industry ditches AVID like it looked like was happening with Final Cut there for a bit.

It's an amazing job (often union too), but requires a lot of focus and some good creative skill to do well.
This has even deeper roots. Post is not very popular and thriving industry, nor very well paid either. If I were to choose now I would never pick it. There is lack of people with experience, so I assume AVID users are still in demand. Fact that AVID is still so popular also shows how stagnated industry is. Post hates changes (broadcast itself even more) so things are still the way how they were 20 years ago in many places. I've seen this in London everywhere (smaller place you go more modern it's). It slowly changes as finally all those "old" experts have to go and new people don't necessarily choose 'AVID'
Old 22nd December 2021, 10:13   #35  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

A good editor in LA can make maybe $250k if they work constantly in TV and also get fabulous health benefits through the union. I'd say that's a very well paid job indeed!
Old 22nd December 2021, 13:18   #36  |  Link
kolak

Not in Europe, nor in UK which does by far most European post.
If you have 20 years experience and good position which you secured those 20 years ago, then money is ok, but this is 10% of all workers.
Way better money is for system integrators but they need to know waaaaay more than just editing.

Last edited by kolak; 22nd December 2021 at 13:21.
Old 23rd December 2021, 09:59   #37  |  Link
TlatoSMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_MiSfit View Post
Yeah, exactly. In big professional workflows with lots of people involved Avid MC and ProTools are nearly ubiquitous. Most full time editors literally only know Avid.
Over here in Germany, public radio annually funded with close to 10 billion Euros of tax money uses Audition.
TlatoSMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2022, 01:46   #38  |  Link
g0ren

Here in the Southeast of the US, it's a mix of Avid, Premiere, and Final Cut Pro is starting to make a comeback. I've worked for a few large national networks (not locals) and they're Premiere based, but our West coast offices are usually Avid. However they've started to move to Premiere so that we're on the same workflows and can collaborate easier remotely, which has become needed during the pandemic. Adobe Edit Anywhere was a big reason to switch since we can do proxy edits across the country. Audition, Photoshop and After Effects integration are also nice perks.
g0ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2023, 14:23   #39  |  Link
DeafYakuza

Nowadays, tools are evolving rapidly, and these kind of transitions is a normal phenomenon because people are searching for the most convenient tool.

I won't be surprised if a full AI video editor is launched soon. Has anyone met some AI features in video editing tools?
DeafYakuza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2023, 17:14   #40  |  Link
dracore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafYakuza View Post
Nowadays, tools are evolving rapidly, and these kind of transitions is a normal phenomenon because people are searching for the most convenient tool.

I won't be surprised if a full AI video editor is launched soon. Has anyone met some AI features in video editing tools?
You're right. The tech landscape is changing so fast. I remember when basic edits took forever, and now we have AI easing the process. Anyway, I think that for a full AI editor, we have to wait a lot of time for a final working product, + I am afraid that authorities will start to regulate AIs to avoid them becoming too powerful.

Almost every video editor has integrated some AI features. I use this free movie maker with AI-powered background removal that works smoothly. Also, it has automated transitions and color correction.

Last edited by dracore; 22nd September 2023 at 18:35.
dracore is offline   Reply With Quote