Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 19th January 2021, 18:25   #18881  |  Link
slalom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Incorrect AviSynth+ version? EncodingServer.exe shows what AviSynth version you have installed at the bottom field.
No, that was 3.6.1, your update fixed my problem

will install 3.7 too

@Pauly
slalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2021, 01:10   #18882  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Strange DE connection & FFMPEG issues

So I was hoping to post this last night, but the forum seemed to be "down"...

Yesterday, for the 1st time in month's & month's, I thought I'd process a 4K movie (Hobbit-The Unexpected Journey, extended version), it's just over 3 hours, 182 chunks, so I expected it to take quite some time to process, even though I'm ONLY doing the video.

I only got 40% done, will continue when able to...

So once I had the main PC working on it (Ryzen 9 3950X), it was grinding along fairly well, I also had the DE help of another PC.

I thought I'd used some of my "farm servers" to help, so I turned them on, 1 at a time, as I hadn't used them for age's either, and the 1st one connected without issue (dual E5-2690 Xeon's), so then I turned on another (dual X5690 Xeon's, Windows Server 2019), and it just would NOT start processing a chunk, if I went back to the main PC and watched, the chunk would start it's process, but as soon as it switched to the actual processing, it would them go idle, then start again, repeat, repeat, repeat...

So I tried another server, (same spec's), same problem...

So I tried another server, (dual X5680 Xeon's, Server 2019), same problem...

There were no pop up error messages !!!.

So then I tried yet another PC, (again, dual X5680 Xeon's, Tyan MB, Server 2019), same problem !!!

And finally yet another PC, (again dual Xeon's, Windows 10 Enterprise), same problem, but this one threw up an ffmeg not working error).

Got the latest build of that, didn't make any difference.

Meanwhile the first PC's were still processing along pretty well.

I took a short video of this DE behaviour, and will post a link...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JCA...ew?usp=sharing

I can't help but think someone has had a similar issue recently, but not too sure when.

Later on, on the Ryzen, DE was starting to play up, and I have a screen shot of that...but then it got to a point, that I stopped RB, and hoping that it will re start where it left off, I re started, and sure enough, it carried on

(screenshot link) :- https://www.mediafire.com/file/4c7bg...dress.jpg/file

So to sum up, it's pretty frustrating when you have several reasonable PC's that you want to use to "help" with DE, and none of them connect

I think I might need to "start from scratch", and put fresh setup's on all of them....
Old 27th January 2021, 01:57   #18883  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

You should record what encoding server is showing. I suspect some problem with shared folder or/and avisynth instalation.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2021, 06:54   #18884  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
You should record what encoding server is showing. I suspect some problem with shared folder or/and avisynth instalation.
Damn, I knew there was something else I needed to check as well

It's just strange that some PC's are good, and others aren't, they're all set up pretty much exactly the same.

So what could go wrong with the Avisynth install ???, that link I posted (#18877 & 78), should be good...

Question:- If avisynth is installed into it's own default folder location, do the contents also need to be copied to the RB tool's folder as well ???

Would you be able to do an auto update with the latest avisynth included ??, and maybe a few more updates as well ??

Last edited by Pauly Dunne; 27th January 2021 at 07:00. Reason: question
Pauly Dunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2021, 21:58   #18885  |  Link
blacksapprow

Question: With Ripbot version 1.26.0 there came settings inside AviSynth:

Sharpen: Off, %25, %55, %75, %100 --> This is understandable.

CPU Denoise: Off, MDegrain1, MDegrain2, MDegrain3 --> Is that: MDegrain1 low, MDegrain2 middle, MDegrain3 high setting? What actually it is for? White Gaussian noise? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_noise

GPU Denoise: Off, KNLMeansCL1, KNLMeansCL3, KNLMeansCL5 --> Is that: KNLMeansCL1 low, KNLMeansCL3 middle, KNLMeansCL5 high setting? What actually it does? Can anyone tell about this more? What is it's difference with MDegrain? Only use of CPU and/or GPU? Near same results?

If we use only MDegrain, only KNLMeans and MDegrain + KNLMeans together, what they differs? Can anyone tell briefly?

Last edited by blacksapprow; 29th January 2021 at 22:17.
blacksapprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2021, 23:07   #18886  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Last digit indicates how many previous and next frames are taken for analysis. More means stronger denoising and more stable output.
MDegrain aims for fine detail retention while knlmeanscl is much more aggressive. My recommendation is as follows. Use MDegrain first and then knlmeanscl if you still need to remove any grain leftovers.

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 29th January 2021 at 23:20.
Old 30th January 2021, 01:53   #18887  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Avisynth question...

Atak,

I asked a legit question about the installation of Avisynth, mainly due to "you" suggesting that maybe something is wrong.

If you download the latest version of AV, it is installed (by default) into it's own folder, but AviSynth.dll & DevlL.dll are installed in the SYSWOW64 root.

In RB's "Tool's" folder under Avisynth/Libraries/x64 is where you'll find these files, and it's version 3.4.0.0, dated 04-11-2019.

So to be more specific, do these 2 .dll files need to be copied into RB's Libraries/x64 folder ???

Or is that Folder's contents redundant ??
Old 30th January 2021, 09:47   #18888  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

I sugested to check encoding server window in first place.
Old 30th January 2021, 13:34   #18889  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
I sugested to check encoding server window in first place.
Yes you did, but I haven't had a chance to get back to encoding, since then.

However, you haven't commented on the Avisynth question..
Old 30th January 2021, 14:48   #18890  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Dunne View Post
Yes you did, but I haven't had a chance to get back to encoding, since then.

However, you haven't commented on the Avisynth question..
Because it is irrelevant as long as you do not check what is happening on server side.
Old 30th January 2021, 17:15   #18891  |  Link
Dhry

Hey. Wanted to drop this off here just in case someone has ever experienced the same issue I did in recent months.

The problem was simply that starting a Ripbot encode did NOT trigger the startup of any EncodingServers. The client window appears, and four (which is what I use) EncodingServer.exe instances appear as tasks, but their WINDOWS do not appear and work does not commence. It was the absolute most frustrating thing for me and I tried dozens of things to try and fix it. I have a few other machines here and on each of those, the EncodingServer app would start fine. But it simply wouldn't on my main desktop. I read about something like this in previous posts on this thread and have tried reinstalling the VC redistributables, it did not help at all. Tried clean boots via msconfig and all of a sudden EncodingServer started working again and that's when I knew it was something I was running that was preventing proper operation.

By a process of elimination I have discovered that two Nvidia services kill the ability for EncodingServer.exe to bring up a window and/or commence work.
  • NVIDIA Display Container LS (this is the prime culprit)
  • NVIDIA LocalSystem Container
I have a Ryzen 9 3950X (but had an I7 4-core before, same issue) and a GTX1080. The services above appear to be related to the nVIDIA GeForce experience app that is installed by default with the GeForce drivers. I messed around in there with settings but absolutely could not fix this without completely stopping and disabling those services. Soon as I did, boom, up came all four windows for EncodingServer.

FWIW I also think that I had problems with my browser (Brave) at one point, but I changed a lot of flags in there and now there are no issues with EncodingServer, even with Brave running. I can only imagine that there is something related to the GPU perhaps, that when in operation somehow jams up EncodingServer's functionality.

Running the NVIDIA Display Container LS, over time, also seemed to spin up some sort of weird background process, making my mouse pointer sluggish to animate and move over time. Stopping that process instantly gave me back pointer responsiveness, however it also kills off the GeForce experience app from my systray. I'm fine with that.

Regards
Dhry
Dhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2021, 18:15   #18892  |  Link
slalom

Quote:
Later on, on the Ryzen, DE was starting to play up, and I have a screen shot of that...but then it got to a point, that I stopped RB, and hoping that it will re start where it left off, I re started, and sure enough, it carried on

(screenshot link) :- https://www.mediafire.com/file/4c7bg...dress.jpg/file

So to sum up, it's pretty frustrating when you have several reasonable PC's that you want to use to "help" with DE, and none of them connect

I think I might need to "start from scratch", and put fresh setup's on all of them....
I get that screenshot too, sometimes. I abort and restart and it goes away

About the other stuff in your post, restart all your PCs and make sure they have all the ripbot updates, as I understand you don't use them frequently
(I can't see the video you posted, maybe you removed it)
Quote:
Question:- If avisynth is installed into it's own default folder location, do the contents also need to be copied to the RB tool's folder as well ???
It works as it is
slalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2021, 00:54   #18893  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

L-Smash and/or FFMPEG

Going back to :- https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...09#post1933709

I asked what decoder RipBot now uses...

There was a time when "we" had a choice, but I think it's now just L-Smash by default, and GPU options.

Is there still a way to use FFMPEG ??
Old 1st February 2021, 04:45   #18894  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Because it is irrelevant as long as you do not check what is happening on server side.
OK, got to record what's going on (poor quality)..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Mfc...ew?usp=sharing

the pop error is :- "ffmpeg has stopped working"

and the error in the encoder window, is :-

x265 [error]: unable to open input file <->
Old 1st February 2021, 19:50   #18895  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Run EncodingServer.exe WITHOUT any extra switches. When window pops-up with message "FFMpeg.exe has stopped working" check details. You should see what exact DLL module crashed within ffmpeg.exe executable.
Old 1st February 2021, 21:41   #18896  |  Link
Ripmann

Hey guys. Can somebody please clarify how GPU-based encoding works? I have two GPUs in my system, a dedicated Nvidia card and the integrated graphics one that comes with most Intel chips. My question is, does the integrated GPU has any relevance on encoding at all? AMD finally came out with a non-crappy line of CPUs last year that don't have integrated graphics in them. If, for example, I switch to a roughly equivalent AMD CPU, will I lose any performance from not having an integrated graphics chip anymore? Or is it completely unused and the video card alone does all the encoding? This question bugs me from time to time and I never found an answer given by somebody who really knows what they're doing.

A related question, also. Is it possible to dedicate one particular GPU to encoding? RipBot's options don't seem to allow it, but it should be completely doable to choose which GPU you want to be used, right? If so, can this GPU selection option be added in the setting then? Seems like a useful feature with people with multiple cards. Thanks.
Ripmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2021, 22:14   #18897  |  Link
Ripmann

Also, a possible bug/oversight:

When clicking Preview Script, only one MPC window pops up regardless of the MPC settings ("Player->Open a new player for each media file played").

The reason it's even an issue is because I usually enabled multiple players before and clicking Preview Script several times opened several of them. That allowed me to quickly compare the quality of the frames with different denoise or color adjustment settings, so I used it all the time when I needed to manually tweak something. If that's something that can be easily addressed (I can only assume that RipBot checks if there's a "job1_preview.avs" named window and ignores another preview request), I'd really appreciate it.
Ripmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2021, 01:32   #18898  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripmann View Post
Hey guys. Can somebody please clarify how GPU-based encoding works? I have two GPUs in my system, a dedicated Nvidia card and the integrated graphics one that comes with most Intel chips. My question is, does the integrated GPU has any relevance on encoding at all? AMD finally came out with a non-crappy line of CPUs last year that don't have integrated graphics in them. If, for example, I switch to a roughly equivalent AMD CPU, will I lose any performance from not having an integrated graphics chip anymore? Or is it completely unused and the video card alone does all the encoding? This question bugs me from time to time and I never found an answer given by somebody who really knows what they're doing.

A related question, also. Is it possible to dedicate one particular GPU to encoding? RipBot's options don't seem to allow it, but it should be completely doable to choose which GPU you want to be used, right? If so, can this GPU selection option be added in the setting then? Seems like a useful feature with people with multiple cards. Thanks.
Well, GPU encoding uses the available GPU's in your system, generally slower, but it allows for the use of different filters.

And of course CPU encoding uses the CPU, generally a lot faster, and use other filters.

You can specify which does what by using appropriate switches...

check this link for a bit of info (hidden switches) :-

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...10#post1894410

Quote:
/port 1000 /minimize /priority low /node 0 /knlmeanscl-opencl-device-type CPU
/port 2000 /minimize /priority low /node 0 /knlmeanscl-opencl-device-type CPU
/port 3000 /minimize /priority low /node 1 /knlmeanscl-opencl-device-type CPU
/port 4000 /minimize /priority low /node 1 /knlmeanscl-opencl-device-type CPU

Multiple GPU's

/port 1000 /minimize /priority low /knlmeanscl-opencl-device-id 0
/port 2000 /minimize /priority low /knlmeanscl-opencl-device-id 1

and/or

If you are using x264+KNLMeansCL and you also have iGPU (device 0) and dGPU (device 1) then

/port 1000 /minimize /priority low /x264-opencl-device-id 0 /knlmeanscl-opencl-device-id 1
To see what devices you have you need to look in the OpenCL tab (in Settings) of RipBot, it will list your GPU's

Hope this helps a little.
Old 2nd February 2021, 12:46   #18899  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Run EncodingServer.exe WITHOUT any extra switches. When window pops-up with message "FFMpeg.exe has stopped working" check details. You should see what exact DLL module crashed within ffmpeg.exe executable.
So I was hoping to do this today, but I had an unexpected, but not surprising major set back with my current encoding job.

Anyway, I started up the PC that had my current 4K encode, and I only had about 60 or so chunks to do, but yesterday, RipBot did not want to shut down...even tho I stopped the processing once a chunk was complete, it just froze, (not responding) when I went to close it down.

So, not unexpectedly, when I re-started the job, it started from chunk #1, so 2 days (approx 10 hours of encoding down the f*ckin' drain).

Anyway, that's another whole major problem that needs to be addressed, that is & has been a problem, that has been around for a long time.

So I continued "testing" the problem on another PC, and I think it might have something to do with x265.

I just happened across this....I batch loaded a few files in, and once they were in the job list, I thought I'd change 1 job to HEVC, and as soon as Encoder started to process & start the job, it re started (as in that video I sent thru), so repeat, repeat...I stopped it, changed it back to x264, and started with no problem.

I got no error pop up's or anything, so have no idea what was causing it.
Old 2nd February 2021, 19:50   #18900  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
So, not unexpectedly, when I re-started the job, it started from chunk #1, so 2 days (approx 10 hours of encoding down the f*ckin' drain).

Anyway, that's another whole major problem that needs to be addressed, that is & has been a problem, that has been around for a long time.
When file EncodingProgress.Pass1 or EncodingProgress.Pass2 in Chunks folder is missing then you lose whole progress. That file is being updated every time chunk gets encoded. For your unstable PC I guess I would have to implement some backup system...

Regarding crashing ffmpeg.exe. I've just checked the code in EncodingServer.exe and crash window will always be automatically closed regardless of switches used. It would be much easier if you just manually executed /Chunks/1.cmd from shared folder and then expand details. Look for FAULTY MODULE: line

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360