Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th May 2015, 12:23   #1  |  Link
stax76

Questions on m2ts

Maybe I few people can share their m2ts experience, I have a few questions on m2ts:

What are typical sources for m2ts other then Blu-ray?
Can eac3to demux all typical sources well?
Is it necessary to demux video or is demuxing audio and subtitles sufficient?
If video demuxing is not necessary what are the best source filters then for m2ts?
For StaxRip I need default handling with free tools and with tools working on Win10 and AviSynth x64 so DGDecode and DGAVCDecode are out off business.
Does LwlibavVideoSource (horrible filter name!) m2ts better then ffms2?
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 12:37   #2  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Not quite all question for the eac3to thread only, but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
What are typical sources for m2ts other then Blu-ray?
Also the very related AVCHD (used by cameras with hard disks and memory cards), and DVB.

Quote:
If video demuxing is not necessary what are the best source filters then for m2ts?
For StaxRip I need default handling with free tools and with tools working on Win10 and AviSynth x64 so DGDecode and DGAVCDecode are out off business.
Does LwlibavVideoSource (horrible filter name!) m2ts better then ffms2?
If it contains MPEG-2 video, DGMPGDec can read it. DGDecNV and DGDecIM can handle VC-1 and AVC too. The first one may never be available for x64, the others are available in both code styles from Donald Graft...

DGAVCDec uses a very outdated version of libav to be frame accurate, it is obsolete now as it does not support e.g. PAFF interlaced AVC.

FFMS2 used to handle it very unreliably as long as it depended on Haali, but now (from version 2.21 on) that it depends on libav splitters only, like L-SMASH Works (LwLibavVideoSource), FFMS2 should be more reliable too. But it will still need testing to prove that FFMS2 is now as reliable as L-SMASH Works, both handling M2TS in general as well as being reliable with more than one decoding thread.

Both FFMS2 and L-SMASH Works will prefer one contiguous M2TS file over a playlist of several segments, though, which is used on BD and AVCHD.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid

Last edited by LigH; 18th May 2015 at 12:43.
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 12:42   #3  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

subtitles demuxing from DVBs files are not supported by eac3to...
Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 13:08   #4  |  Link
stax76

I never tried DVB demuxing with eac3to but it would surprise me much if it works. There are only very few tools I have good experience in regard of av sync, it's ProjectX (supports only MPEG-2), dsmux (supports no HEVC) and all tools by Donald Graft, even without source filters (which are not working on Win10 and AviSynth x64) and ancient ffmpeg DGAVCIndex and DGIndex might still be useful as demuxing tool to fix av sync, I just started to experiment with this as I don't like that users have to install Java for ProjectX or Haali splitter for dsmux, every time Haali splitter is installed, LAV Filter must be reinstalled and most users don't know this. That's why I suggested eac3to to replace the Haali splitter.
Old 18th May 2015, 13:13   #5  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

A/V streams demuxing works fine from DVBs files w/ eac3to...only subtitles are not supported. For such streams, I use TS-Doctor.
Old 18th May 2015, 13:37   #6  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtnoise View Post
A/V streams demuxing works fine from DVBs files w/ eac3to...only subtitles are not supported. For such streams, I use TS-Doctor.
Do you demux video from DVB with eac3to or only audio and open video directly?
Old 18th May 2015, 14:02   #7  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Another typical source for M2TS files, as said before, was the DVB (digital television). I mean, yeah, the HD camcorders might have MTS files, but hey, they do not count as much as the first two sources (BD and DVB).

Like BD, DVB also has subtitles in two forms, text (ie teletext/videotext pages, usually 150, 888 etc) and DVB (timed bitmaps).

It's a long time since I've done my last HD DVB-originated M2TS file, but I remember demuxing the text subtitles with ProjectX. I still struggle with the correct obtention and manipulation of graphic-based ones. My (not so updated) version of SubtitleEdit (Nikse) can demux the subtitles but removes their position, maybe tsMuxer (I don't know which version, I do not always use the latest one, the Roman76' older one seems to work better with some files).
Old 18th May 2015, 15:17   #8  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Another typical source for M2TS files, as said before, was the DVB (digital television). I mean, yeah, the HD camcorders might have MTS files, but hey, they do not count as much as the first two sources (BD and DVB).

Like BD, DVB also has subtitles in two forms, text (ie teletext/videotext pages, usually 150, 888 etc) and DVB (timed bitmaps).

It's a long time since I've done my last HD DVB-originated M2TS file, but I remember demuxing the text subtitles with ProjectX. I still struggle with the correct obtention and manipulation of graphic-based ones. My (not so updated) version of SubtitleEdit (Nikse) can demux the subtitles but removes their position, maybe tsMuxer (I don't know which version, I do not always use the latest one, the Roman76' older one seems to work better with some files).
I would be greatly interested in camcorder and DVB samples. Did you try TS-Doctor for subtitles as suggested by Kurtnoise?
Old 18th May 2015, 16:11   #9  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Quote:
Do you demux video from DVB with eac3to or only audio and open video directly?
that depends on what I need...mostly, video and audio demuxing. Eac3to is very convenient for audio gaps correction.
Old 18th May 2015, 17:31   #10  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
I would be greatly interested in camcorder and DVB samples.....
Camcorder sample at your disposal:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/a6...22_130903.m2ts
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 18:00   #11  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post