Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 10th October 2017, 21:59   #46441  |  Link
jmonier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
Yea, it really looks like nvidia does not allow a new mode to be saved while it is the active refresh rate.
That certainly sounds to me like a reasonable thing to do. I can think of problems that would occur if it were not done this way.

In madVR 92.3, this situation was handled properly and everything worked fine. In 92.4, the Nvidia user interface was changed (generally for the better) and (in 92.6 at least) this part of it is no longer done properly.

So, I want to emphasize that this a madVR problem, not an Nvidia one.
jmonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2017, 22:26   #46442  |  Link
Dorohedoro

For my custom mode to work I just write on a paper the values and created a new custom resolution with those values. Just a workaround for the time being.
Dorohedoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2017, 23:08   #46443  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_OS View Post
No, I definitely prefer RCA because a) RRN is texture detail killer; b) RCA better removes mosquito noise.

RCA5 - original - RRN5

RCA and especially RRN definitely needs strength levels lower 1.
Im unable to watch dota with any kind of smoothing which lowers sharpness. guess this is what you get for starting off with RoC dota
Old 11th October 2017, 00:18   #46444  |  Link
Pat357

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
That certainly sounds to me like a reasonable thing to do. I can think of problems that would occur if it were not done this way.

In madVR 92.3, this situation was handled properly and everything worked fine. In 92.4, the Nvidia user interface was changed (generally for the better) and (in 92.6 at least) this part of it is no longer done properly.

So, I want to emphasize that this a madVR problem, not an Nvidia one.
Indeed. I wouldn't mind if Madshi would drop the idea of the changed (better?) interface and go back to the 0.92.3 interface.
My work-around for this issue is simply rolling back to 0.92.3, do my changes and roll forward to 0.92.6.

Last edited by Pat357; 11th October 2017 at 00:23.
Pat357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2017, 00:54   #46445  |  Link
burfadel

I agree, set both to 1 for a look and the image was very flat. Neither were nicer than the original. An issue I see is the quality of the source file. Is the filter applied before or after everything else? The nature of the functions it should be applied before. If it were much weaker at low settings it would be more usable. In Windows task manager I noticed it uses a couple of percent more GPU than disabled. The GPU used seems to be more? than applying NGU. Post is meant as feedback and discussion, the sound of criticism was unintentional .
burfadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2017, 01:42   #46446  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
If you still think you need different luma vs chroma strengths, you can now use the file tags (e.g. "deblock=4 deblockChroma=8"). The settings dialog doesn't support this atm, though.
I retested those LP videos using the new build, and I think it looks best with "deblock=3 deblockChroma=5". So not a huge difference, but I think the chroma can take a bit more punishment before you start to lose any important details (at least on these videos). The deblocking filter definitely helps these videos a lot!

In general I think I'd like it if I could enable chroma deblocking without enabling luma deblocking at all, for videos where the luma channel is fine but the chroma channels need some help. Or do you think that would just be a waste of cycles for something imperceptible? I'd like to think that some deblocking might help the chroma upscaler do a better job.

Last edited by Ver Greeneyes; 11th October 2017 at 01:52.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2017, 11:30   #46447  |  Link
Razoola

Can somone please explain to me what happens in a situation where windows (win7) only allows one to set 12bit HDMI output in its drivers control panel (nvidia) , madVR only have a setting of 10bit or greater and D3D11 10bit?

I have a 2016 LG E6 OLED and denon x2300w. I have nvidia control panel set to 12bit, madVR set to 10 bit or greater and using D3D11 exclusive mode (madVR reports it is 10bit). While a video is playing with these settings I can go into the AVR and get a report of the resolution, it is reported that it is received a 12bit 4k resolution while madVR reports D3D11 10bit. So you see there is a discrepency between 10bit and 12bit.

My question then, in this setup, what part of My pc is handling the 10bit to 12bit conversion? Is it MadVR or the graphics card? From my understanding the E6 can handle both 10bit and 12bit resolutions but win7 gives no option for 10bit and I can see the output remains 12bit while madVR reports 10bit. Does madVR require a 12bit setting in the device settings also?
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2017, 12:46   #46448  |  Link
Grimsdyke

@ Madshi. MPC-BE and 92_6.
When clicking stop during playback MPC-BE restarts playback from beginning !! When using EVR-CP playback stops as it should. I had the buggy v92_5 installed. Maybe that's some sideeffect ?
Grimsdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2017, 13:50   #46449  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
Can somone please explain to me what happens in a situation where windows (win7) only allows one to set 12bit HDMI output in its drivers control panel (nvidia) , madVR only have a setting of 10bit or greater and D3D11 10bit?

I have a 2016 LG E6 OLED and denon x2300w. I have nvidia control panel set to 12bit, madVR set to 10 bit or greater and using D3D11 exclusive mode (madVR reports it is 10bit). While a video is playing with these settings I can go into the AVR and get a report of the resolution, it is reported that it is received a 12bit 4k resolution while madVR reports D3D11 10bit. So you see there is a discrepency between 10bit and 12bit.

My question then, in this setup, what part of My pc is handling the 10bit to 12bit conversion? Is it MadVR or the graphics card? From my understanding the E6 can handle both 10bit and 12bit resolutions but win7 gives no option for 10bit and I can see the output remains 12bit while madVR reports 10bit. Does madVR require a 12bit setting in the device settings also?
To use 12 Bit I think you need Quadro card ? or 12 bit is just for Dolby Vision because HDR is 10 bit .

It is still confusing for me also, MadVR only support 10 bit anyway, you can't choose more in the Bit depth .

Btw , what is the default CPU Queue size, GPU queue size is 8 as I remember. do I need it to be CPU half more than GPU Queue or 12 ?

Last edited by x7007; 11th October 2017 at 13:52.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2017, 14:15   #46450  |  Link
d3rd3vil

We need Dolby Vision support for mpc BADLY there is no other way to put it

Last edited by d3rd3vil; 11th October 2017 at 14:19.
d3rd3vil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2017, 14:47   #46451  |  Link
mitchmalibu

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3rd3vil View Post
We need Dolby Vision support for mpc BADLY there is no other way to put it
And what content are you so eager to watch in DV ?
Media setup: MPC-BE x64, madvr, lav filters (nightly)
mitchmalibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2017, 14:51   #46452  |  Link
d3rd3vil

Testfiles and upcoming UHD DV Blurays, when the Disc to HDD process works like with Blurays
Old 11th October 2017, 15:08   #46453  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Testfiles and upcoming UHD DV Blurays, when the Disc to HDD process works like with Blurays
I guess mitchmalibu meant that there's still some time before the process becomes easy and widespread enough to qualify for "we need DV badly".
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2017, 15:09   #46454  |  Link
d3rd3vil

Well that depends. All in all DV is out for 1,5-2 years even if its only with testfiles I can only pray its happening soon not 2019...
Old 11th October 2017, 15:14   #46455  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

At this point even playing HDR10 from a PC is still hit-or-miss most of the time, and playing Dolby Vision properly with its dynamic metadata is likely entirely impossible for the forseeable future.
If you truely care about playing something like this, I can only recommend to get an actual Blu-ray players.
Old 11th October 2017, 15:15   #46456  |  Link
d3rd3vil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
....is likely entirely impossible for the forseeable future.
Thank you very much for the confidence. I always thought a modern pc is unbeatable. But apparently that Oppo 203 player knows how to work with DV as well. Pc defeated, lost big time
Old 11th October 2017, 15:47   #46457  |  Link
mitchmalibu

Quote:
Thank you very much for the confidence. I always thought a modern pc is unbeatable. But apparently that Oppo 203 player knows how to work with DV as well. Pc defeated, lost big time
Frankly, I have a DV compatible TV and wasn't blown away by the few test files I've seen in DV. Modern TV sets are still not able to cope up with the specs HDR and DV are pushing (my oled barely pushes 750 nits max ...), so it's pretty pointless as of now to say that PC lost on something that is, today, not really relevant anyway...
Media setup: MPC-BE x64, madvr, lav filters (nightly)
mitchmalibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2017, 15:54   #46458  |  Link
d3rd3vil

Especially on an Oled its important and not on any extremely bright LCDs
Old 11th October 2017, 16:29   #46459  |  Link
videobruce

46,500 posts???? Sheesh...............

I did a search for "Light Alloy" in this thread and only found one hit. They (LA) claim it works with this software, but on madvr's home page, Light Alloy Player is not listed. There are at least two issues with it, but it may be LA's software. Anyone else use LA here?
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2017, 16:55   #46460  |  Link
bitterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Hybrid decoding (like HEVC on Kepler cards) is generally best to stay away from. Its usually slow and often presents problems if the GPU is under high load (ie. with high madVR settings).
I'm not really familiar with the term "Hybrid decoding", but I assume you mean that with Kepler cards it's best to just untick HEVC in LAV video?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
I never said it shouldn't work. I'm just saying it's not worth the bother. It works just fine with software decoding, doesn't it?
Yes, it works just fine with software decoding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
If you still want, you can cut a couple of minutes sample (with mkvtoolnix) and upload it somewhere. (But make sure first that you still have the problem with that sample.)
It happens sporadically. There seem to be no real pattern when it happens. So making a sample won't be worth the trouble, unfortunately.

Last edited by bitterman; 11th October 2017 at 16:57.
bitterman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling