Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 31st August 2009, 19:03   #1161  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

mkvmerge, mkvextract and mkvpropedit (new application coming soon) are all text-only and don't need any of the wxWidgets libraries. mmg and mkvinfo both need the libraries even though mkvinfo can be compiled without GUI support -- but my Windows build isn't.

You can safely leave out the wxWidgets DLLs. But please remember to include at least the doc\README.txt and the doc\COPYING.txt files -- they contain the license and are NOT optional for a binary distribution.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 31st August 2009, 19:09   #1162  |  Link
stax76

Thanks, do you know where I can download a mkvinfo build that don't need wx? Maybe this was the reason for the issue reported by a StaRip user.

Last edited by stax76; 31st August 2009 at 19:12.
Old 31st August 2009, 19:24   #1163  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

There is none at the moment. I could build one from time to time, but as it doubles the compilation time up to 15 minutes I will not do that regularly.

Old 31st August 2009, 19:58   #1164  |  Link
stax76

IIRC RipBot264 uses mkvinfo without any wx files as well so I wonder if it's such a wx free built, I'll ask the author.
Old 1st September 2009, 11:15   #1165  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...nogui-2.9.8.7z

This is mkvinfo.exe without the GUI dependencies.

Old 1st September 2009, 12:26   #1166  |  Link
m3mbran3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
Please try to create a small(er) file with x264 for which the header editor crashes. Then upload that file to my FTP server and I'll take a look at it. Thanks.
Hi mosu, I appreciate your effort looking into my problem.
I have uploaded a file to your ftp m3mbran3_headereditor.mkv that I have been having trouble with.

I downloaded a fresh copy of 2.9.8 and it still didn't work. Other than that I am using Vista x64, not sure what other dependencies are important though.
Old 1st September 2009, 12:34   #1167  |  Link
stax76

Danke!
Old 1st September 2009, 20:57   #1168  |  Link
stax76

Do I need the --aac-is-sbr switch for m4a files or does mkvmerge read this from the mp4 container?
Old 1st September 2009, 21:06   #1169  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quoting the documentation:

Quote:
This options is needed if a) the source file is an AAC file (NOT for a Matroska file) and b) the AAC file contains SBR AAC data.
However, this is indeed not as clear as it could be. For AAC tracks in MP4 files you usually do not need this flag as the type can be derived from the track's private data. The same is true for AAC in Matroska files. The "usual" is due to the fact that there are badly mastered files which contain the wrong private data -- e.g. if you add AAC to Matroska files using the wrong option for --aac-is-sbr.

However, there are other contains which do not contain said private data. Amongst them are AVI, OGM, raw AAC files. For those you definitely need the option if the AAC track is in fact SBR/HE. If it isn't then you don't need it

So in order to answer your question: Most likely you don't need the option.

Old 1st September 2009, 21:22   #1170  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

@Mosu, you forgot to update this thread's title. mkvtoolnix is at version 2.9.8 while thread title still says 2.9.7
Old 1st September 2009, 21:50   #1171  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

I know. I'll update it with the next release. Too lazy to do it now

Old 2nd September 2009, 01:37   #1172  |  Link
m3mbran3

Another thing. I noticed that the Windows 2.9.8 version zip archive version from your site reports that it is 2.9.5 in its debug window. I also downloaded and installed 2.9.8 with the installer and it reports that it is 2.9.8 in the debug window.

Both versions still crash when I try and use the header editor though.
Old 2nd September 2009, 13:54   #1173  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

That's not correct. The 7z version of the 2.9.8 release (!) reports 2.9.8 as well -- especially as both archives (the exe and the 7z) are built from the very same compiled files. If you're using the 7z version and the debug window shows 2.9.5 then you're actually using an older mkvmerge.exe lying around somewhere in your file system. Check mmg's preferences dialog in such a case in order to find out which mkvmerge executable it is calling.

What is possible is that both the installer and the 7z version of "pre" builds report the wrong version number. This is due to the fact that they're built directly from my development directory (whereas the release versions of the installer and the 7z are built from a freshly extracted directory of the release source code archive) and I sometimes forget to re-build everything after a version number change.

But again -- http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...icode-2.9.8.7z reports 2.9.8 in the debug window as well for a proper installation (I just checked to make sure).

Old 2nd September 2009, 13:55   #1174  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

About your crash: I can reproduce it, and I know what causes it. But I don't have a lot of time at the moment, so fixing it will take a couple of days.

Old 4th September 2009, 06:16   #1175  |  Link
Vincent Vega

.srt tracks in .avi input file

i have an avi with 1 xvid, 2 ac3 and 2 srt tracks. no matter whether i check both srt tracks or just one of them or uncheck both mmg still muxes both subtitle tracks into the .mkv. tried versions 2.9.7 and 2.9.8

p.s. i posted the same on gmane/user a few days back but there was no reply
Old 4th September 2009, 09:12   #1176  |  Link
Liisachan
李姗倩 Lǐ Shān Qiàn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
Sorry about that. Actually I read your mail but only I could have said in my reply would have been "I have no idea." Does mmg/mkvmerge recognize SRT in AVI, as in muxed with AviSubMux?

Also, Vincent, you asked another question there, right?
"Is there any way to convert V_MPEG4/ISO/ASP 'back' to V_MS/VFW/FOURCC?"
I don't think I'd do that myself, but I'm curious. Mosu, can we somehow do that, directly or indirectly, using mkvextract?
Old 4th September 2009, 09:55   #1177  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
i have an avi with 1 xvid, 2 ac3 and 2 srt tracks. no matter whether i check both srt tracks or just one of them or uncheck both mmg still muxes both subtitle tracks into the .mkv. tried versions 2.9.7 and 2.9.8

This is a bug that I've already tracked down, but I don't have any AVI to test at the moment. I'll try to create one later today and check whether or not my fix works.

Old 4th September 2009, 09:58   #1178  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liisachan View Post
Also, Vincent, you asked another question there, right?
"Is there any way to convert V_MPEG4/ISO/ASP 'back' to V_MS/VFW/FOURCC?"
I don't think I'd do that myself, but I'm curious. Mosu, can we somehow do that, directly or indirectly, using mkvextract?
I don't think that there's an easy way to do it (if at all). I'm aware that mkvmerge does not contain code to convert back from ASP to VFW mode, and that will not change. What might be possible is extraction with mkvextract in raw or full raw mode and then importing the file with some MP4 tool (mp4creator, MP4Box) into a MP4 and from there to AVI, but I've never tried it myself.

Old 4th September 2009, 13:08   #1179  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
I don't think that there's an easy way to do it (if at all). I'm aware that mkvmerge does not contain code to convert back from ASP to VFW mode, and that will not change. What might be possible is extraction with mkvextract in raw or full raw mode and then importing the file with some MP4 tool (mp4creator, MP4Box) into a MP4 and from there to AVI, but I've never tried it myself.
Just so as you know...

MP4box provides an option to de/re-mux MPEG-4 Part-2 (SP/ASP) streams from .MP4 directly to the .AVI container. It will add Xvid fourCC codes by default too.

Cheers
Old 4th September 2009, 17:33   #1180  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

Hi Moritz

Maybe a somewhat stupid question but I was wondering a bit here. I know that one can set movie titles (with --title) and track names (with --track-name) but there's no --genre option present. I know I can use an XML tag file (and I just added that to h264enc) to set the genre and much more, but I was wondering if a --genre option could be added for when I don't want to create an XML just for that. It'll be also nice for audio files in MKA's

Last edited by microchip8; 4th September 2009 at 17:35.
Closed Thread