Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 10th July 2023, 01:38   #1  |  Link
TCmullet

Fully uninstalling AviSynth

I've used Avisynth for about a decade, though not being an expert. I think I have numerous versions on each PC I have. What is a sure-fire way to fully uninstall all traces of all versions of Avisynth so that I can start from scratch with the current version? Yes, old scripts may break, but in most cases, I won't ever run them again. I want to write new scripts for new video projects, yet all my "skeleton" scripts have lots of stuff (now junk code) that was special or tailored for special versions or situations.
TCmullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2023, 10:43   #2  |  Link
StvG

1. If you installed any version from installer use the uninstaller.
2. Search in C: for avisynth.dll and delete any result.
3. Open the Registry Editor. Navigate to Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software and delete any Key with name AviSynth.
Navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE and delete any key with name AviSynth.
Navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node and delete any key with name AviSynth.
4. Make backup of all avs plugins then delete them (including any AviSynth/plugins(+)(64)(64+) folder).
StvG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2023, 21:54   #3  |  Link
TCmullet

Thanks, StvG. The steps you gave mostly fit with the kind of things I expected one would need to do. But I didn't want to do guesswork about the registry stuff.

However, I'm a bit puzzled by step 4. Those folders are various avsi and dll plugins I've acquired (or in a few cases written) over the years. What is the reason those should be deleted? After I install the most current Avisynth, I'll be using a lot of them again, so why delete? Does it have to do with WHERE the more current Avisynth version will be expecting them?
TCmullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2023, 02:49   #4  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Delete them and then once re-installed, add them back (from the backup you made) as and when you need them.
(maybe one of them will break the install, so best to find out which)

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2023, 08:48   #5  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

BTW, TCmullet, you don't need to delete any scripts and plugins.
StcG just responded to your demand to "fully uninstall all traces".

And you can have some AviSynth versions as you like side-by-side,
being 2 (one 32 and one 64bit) at the same time.
See Groucho's Universal AviSynth installer.
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=172124

Later you may swap your plugins and scripts in and out of these installations manually with Windows Explorer,
they are loaded next on invocation of that particular AviSynth Installation(s) you decided for.

This gives room on your side to keep anything as-is and on demand flipping over to a new install on the fly, just by calling the Groucho script.

There is no real "install" of plugins in registry to be cleaned,
just the path(s) to plugins folder(s) to be parsed on any invocation of installed (yes, these are installed) AviSynth(s) (32 or/and 64).

Last edited by Emulgator; 18th July 2023 at 08:59.
Emulgator is offline   Reply With Quote