Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 24th May 2024, 12:47   #31701  |  Link
kpic

To follow-up on the results...

Setting 'Target=BD50' and with the INI set to 'REENCODE_MENUS=1' & 'MIN_M2TS_SIZE=0' did nothing to the extras (none of them were re-encoded).

However this time with those INI statements in there I was able to select 'Target=BD25' (before it required a BD-9 output) and it did end up re-encode every single one of the teasers\trailers (including the super-short 9 second ones) and thus also lowered the bit-rate way down (from overall 109 to 35.5) to where I had the 'UHDMaxrate' set, but of course the main movie took a big, big hit (now only 19gb).

At least this way I don't have to re-insert the 20+ trailers and deal with them individually, I just have to deal with re-inserting the main movie into the disc structure instead and just deal with that one. But I suppose there is no one-trick easier way to deal with this situation?

So I originally thought BDRB would take a look at each file and with that UHDMaxrate setting determine that 'Ok these 20 M2TS files need to be re-encoded to lower the bit-rate to match that UHDMaxrate setting' but I guess it doesn't, it appears to just take the largest M2TS file (assuming it's the main movie) and that's the only one it determines to 'lower the bit-rate'. I'm no programmer or anything like that but if BDRB were to able someway take the initial look at the file through Mediainfo it would see that the bit-rate for that file is too high and needs to match or be under the 'UHDMaxrate' setting.

Last edited by kpic; 24th May 2024 at 12:48. Reason: Addition
kpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2024, 02:30   #31702  |  Link
iambryanknowles

Running 1080p AVC to UHD/x265 BD9 (UHD_CONVERT_ENABLE)

was looking at the command line and noticed it says FFMPEG
Quote:
x265.bat says
"C:\Program Files\BD_Rebuilder\tools\ffmpeg.exe" -probesize 100MB -i "D:\BDREBUILDER\IMPORTS\POKEMON_THE_FIRST_MOVIE_-_MEWTWO_STRIKES_BACK_(1080P)_(STABILIZED)____[DARKDREAM]\BDMV\STREAM\00000.m2ts" -an -pix_fmt yuv420p10le -f yuv4mpegpipe -strict -1 -vf pad=1920:1080:0:22 - | "C:\Program Files\BD_Rebuilder\tools\x265-64.exe" - --preset slow --profile main10 --uhd-bd --repeat-headers --vbv-bufsize 45000 --vbv-maxrate 48000 --colorprim bt709 --transfer bt709 --colormatrix bt709 --fps 23.976 --sar 1:1 --qpfile "D:\BDREBUILDER\WORKFILES\VID_00000.CHP" --keyint 24 --bitrate 5979 --y4m --vbv-bufsize 17000 --vbv-maxrate 17500 --stats "D:\BDREBUILDER\WORKFILES\VID_00000.AVS.hevc.stats" --pass 2 --output "D:\BDREBUILDER\WORKFILES\VID_00000.AVS.hevc"
but I have it set for DGDecNV - shouldn't the .avs file be being fed to x265?

Or am I misunderstanding?

Actually, it happens in Alternate MKV/HEVC mode as well. My gpu is a 970m, so maybe it's always checking HEVC support on the gpu for x265 encoding, even with an AVC source? It does index the file before encoding.

Last edited by iambryanknowles; 28th May 2024 at 23:00.
iambryanknowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2024, 21:04   #31703  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
On that subject... I was thinking about adding QuickSync support (probably via FFMPEG). But in a test (using a 13th gen i5 [i5-13420H] with built-in UHD graphic support) doing H265 encoding I was a little surprised how much slower it was than my Nvidia card. My Nvidia card is giving well over 300fps on 1080p encodes -- and I was only averaging about 100fps using that GPU and Quicksync. Is that typical? It doesn't seem that much faster than X265 on that same CPU?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
If you want to give me command lines for both QuickSync and Nvidia that I could run against the same MKV, I can can share the outcome.

I have EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 XC GAMING 12GB, 12G-P5-3657-KR, and i7-14700k (UHD770), and i9-10900k(uhd630) that I can run it against.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
I just noticed, isn't the i5 13420H a mobile processor? Will its GPU be as strong as a desktop 13th gen's UHD7xx gpu?.
Just a note on this topic. I ended up buying a DELL notebook with an I7-1360P processor and IRIS Xe graphics. I'm doing some testing -- and it is actually running significantly faster than my Nvidia card. (I just did a 1080p encode at 465fps.) I'm pretty excited about that. I also noticed that Rigaya has developed QSVEncC which is very similar to the NVEncC software that I'm using in BD-RB and NVENCC. That's what I used for the encode I mentioned. It was way faster than my testing with FFMPEG. So it may not be a huge task enhancing BD-RB to take advantage of the Intel Quick Sync technology.

I'll let you know what I find.

Last edited by jdobbs; 30th May 2024 at 21:16.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2024, 23:24   #31704  |  Link
iambryanknowles

Also just ran into a problem where creating a 720p AVCHD BD5, the calculated bitrate is based on converting the audio to AC3, even when Do Not Encode DTS is selected.

Edit: Remebered DTS isn't part of the spec. But assuming it should auto enable ac3 encoding then?

Last edited by iambryanknowles; 31st May 2024 at 00:04.
Old 31st May 2024, 15:03   #31705  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambryanknowles View Post
Also just ran into a problem where creating a 720p AVCHD BD5, the calculated bitrate is based on converting the audio to AC3, even when Do Not Encode DTS is selected.

Edit: Remebered DTS isn't part of the spec. But assuming it should auto enable ac3 encoding then?
Exactly.
Old 8th June 2024, 19:48   #31706  |  Link
iambryanknowles

Oops. Realized my mistake there.

Today I ran into an issue when importing an mkv that has Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos data. When it converts the 5.1 file to ac3, it results in a stereo file.
Old 9th June 2024, 12:50   #31707  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Quote:
Just a note on this topic. I ended up buying a DELL notebook with an I7-1360P processor and IRIS Xe graphics. I'm doing some testing -- and it is actually running significantly faster than my Nvidia card. (I just did a 1080p encode at 465fps.) I'm pretty excited about that. I also noticed that Rigaya has developed QSVEncC which is very similar to the NVEncC software that I'm using in BD-RB and NVENCC. That's what I used for the encode I mentioned. It was way faster than my testing with FFMPEG. So it may not be a huge task enhancing BD-RB to take advantage of the Intel Quick Sync technology.
Testwise I am calling both h.265 hardware encoders from Staxrip 2.39.3 for UHD-BD encode attempts.
(Notebook i9-11900K, Intel UHD750, QSVEncC is eating less power than NVEncC nVidia 3080, and the latter is free to run a different encode)
At the moment I have problems with rigaya's QSVEncC builds north of 7.61.
Controlled from Staxrip these won't take orders, although parameters seem to be passed the console reports some defaults
Up to QSVEncC 7.61 they do work, but Bitrate is off, undershooting by far, like -50%.
This may be needing some matching work.

Ah, just seeing Staxrip updated to 2.40. Testing this combo now, defaults only...
The h.264 fault stays with rigaya's QSVEncC builds north of 7.62.
rigaya's QSVEncC 7.65 runs h264, runs MPEG-2, runs VP9, (AV1 is not supported on my platform)

I have just reported that to rigaya https://github.com/rigaya/QSVEnc/issues/202

Got rigaya's answer: add
Code:
--function-mode PG
to commandline and it works again.

Last edited by Emulgator; Yesterday at 02:58.
Emulgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2024, 16:17   #31708  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Oops. Realized my mistake there.

Today I ran into an issue when importing an mkv that has Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos data. When it converts the 5.1 file to ac3, it results in a stereo file.
I just tested importing an MKV with Atmos -- I see the same thing.

It appears that when reading the extracted audio with AVISYNTH, it sees the source as stereo. I haven't played with this in a while. Anyone have any ideas? I found that I can use FFMPEG to convert the audio to AC3 and it works. But that isn't really a solution, just a workaround.

I also tried using a newer version of NicAudio.dll and it correctly decodes as 6 channel (the old one didn't), but it didn't solve the issue. I'll look at the code and see what I can do about it.

Last edited by jdobbs; 9th June 2024 at 16:46.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2024, 23:25   #31709  |  Link
iambryanknowles

Similarly, importing mkv with 7.1 TrueHD converts to a mono ac3.
Old 9th June 2024, 23:55   #31710  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Similarly, importing mkv with 7.1 TrueHD converts to a mono ac3.
Weird. I wonder what has changed? I would have thought an issue like this would have been reported a long time ago.
Old 10th June 2024, 08:59   #31711  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I just tested importing an MKV with Atmos -- I see the same thing.

It appears that when reading the extracted audio with AVISYNTH, it sees the source as stereo. I haven't played with this in a while. Anyone have any ideas? I found that I can use FFMPEG to convert the audio to AC3 and it works. But that isn't really a solution, just a workaround.

I also tried using a newer version of NicAudio.dll and it correctly decodes as 6 channel (the old one didn't), but it didn't solve the issue. I'll look at the code and see what I can do about it.
When I let the development of NicAudio, in 2012, was because there are others AviSynth decoders better.

I test mkv's with THD, THD Atmos, EAC3 7.1 and EAC3 Atmos and LWLibavAudioSource() work fine output the right number of channels and 24 int for THD or 32 float for EAC3.

Of course the Atmos data is ignored, we need Cavernize to decode EAC3 Atmos in a specific speakers config.
Old Today, 00:32   #31712  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
When I let the development of NicAudio, in 2012, was because there are others AviSynth decoders better.

I test mkv's with THD, THD Atmos, EAC3 7.1 and EAC3 Atmos and LWLibavAudioSource() work fine output the right number of channels and 24 int for THD or 32 float for EAC3.

Of course the Atmos data is ignored, we need Cavernize to decode EAC3 Atmos in a specific speakers config.
I ended up modifying the code to just using FFMPEG. In my testing it works fine.

I'm close to releasing a new version that will include this fix, a few others, and the addition of support for Intel Quick Sync GPU encoding.

I've also modified NVENCCRE so it also includes support for Intel GPUs. I call it GPUENCC now.