Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 3rd November 2013, 01:18   #1  |  Link
Frankenscript
Longtime Lurker

Trouble with MPC-HC playing Kill Bill forced subs

Hi folks,

Title says it all. I've got the latest 1.7.0 stable build of MPC-HC using essentially all standard default settings. It plays most forced subtitles in my MKVs just fine, though sometimes I have to manually turn them on or off, depending on how they were mastered.

However, I recently ripped (with MakeMKV 1.8.5) Kill Bill Vol 1 bluray, and the resulting MKV plays in MPC-HC but does not give forced subtitles for the parts where they are speaking Japanese no matter what I do. I've tried manually enabling each of the several listed sub tracks. No dice.

The exact same file plays with subs just fine in VLC Player.

I tried remuxing, with MKVMerge, resulting in just the video/audio/forced sub tracks. No extra sub tracks at all. STill, works fine with VLC but not MPC-HC.

This is the only file in recent memory I've had this problem with. Any thoughts for me?

MPC-HC is using the default LAV splitter and so on.

Marc

Last edited by Frankenscript; 3rd November 2013 at 01:20.
Frankenscript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 02:16   #2  |  Link
mindbomb

i think i heard something about it being broken in the stable and fixed in the nightly.
other things to check:
make sure you are flagging the subtitles as forced
make sure auto load subtitles is on in mpc hc (options>playback), unless you have an alternate subtitle renderer installed.

Last edited by mindbomb; 3rd November 2013 at 02:19.
mindbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 04:11   #3  |  Link
Frankenscript
Longtime Lurker

I'm using the nightly build from 10/31; still no subs just for Kill Bill. I tested three other Blu-ray ripped to MKV movies; all of them show the subs just fine.

No special renderer... just using LAV and stuff built into MPC-HC. Auto load is on in MPC-HC; the subs are right there in the MKV file (not external) so I know they are available. And VLC plays them fine so they aren't corrupt or anything.

They aren't set as default or forced when I look in MKVMerge... but I should still be able to select them in MPC-HC manually.

I'm remuxing now, setting them as default & forced. In the morning I'll check again to see if it worked.

Meanwhile, I'd appreciate any other thoughts!

Marc

Last edited by Frankenscript; 3rd November 2013 at 04:27.
Old 3rd November 2013, 04:26   #4  |  Link
Frankenscript
Longtime Lurker

Oh... I think I've got it.

I went into Play... Filters... LAV Splitter Source... Properties and poked around in there. It looks like "Deliver Only Forced Subtitles" was checked.

I unchecked it and applied, then played the original MKV as ripped by MakeMKV. NOW I'm getting the subs.

Apparently they were never marked as forced, and as such they weren't being delivered by the LAV splitter. It's a bit odd, in that there was a "Forced Subs" option to select during playback, apparently empty. Something's strange going on.

But, unchecking the deliver only forced option lets them through, and they can be selected during playback.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Will report back tomorrow after remuxing re: whether that clears it up too, without unchecking the box.

Marc
Old 3rd November 2013, 11:42   #5  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenscript View Post
Apparently they were never marked as forced, and as such they weren't being delivered by the LAV splitter. It's a bit odd, in that there was a "Forced Subs" option to select during playback, apparently empty. Something's strange going on.
LAV does not know beforehand if there are actually any forced subs in the file because all lines are interleaved into the container at their respective timecodes and it would have to parse it completely. So it will create that virtual forced track even if there aren't any lines marked as forced.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 14:51   #6  |  Link
Frankenscript
Longtime Lurker

So, remuxing marking the subs as forced / default made them play properly in MPC-HC without intervention, though they still don't come up if the "deliver only forced subtitles" checkbox is checked.

Is there a good description somewhere of the various levels at which subs can be processed / enabled / disabled? I know it's probably not possible to come up with a configuration that always works for every movie, due to differences in mastering, but I'm trying to decide on the setting that has the fewest "false positives" without completely turning off subs. I'd rather intervene to turn off / on subs as little as possible, and to do that I think I need a better understanding of how they get from a stream in the MKV to being on my screen... and all the switches and stuff in between.

Marc
Old 3rd November 2013, 15:48   #7  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
So, remuxing marking the subs as forced / default made them play properly in MPC-HC without intervention, though they still don't come up if the "deliver only forced subtitles" checkbox is checked.
The "deliver only forced subtitles" feature of LAV only refers to the PGS feature of marking certain lines as forced. It does not have anything to do with the "forced track" flag of the Matroska container. It is possible to have forced PGS lines in a non-forced track and vice versa.
Old 8th November 2013, 20:02   #8  |  Link
LordX2

Hey guys - I am having a similar issue - and I hope its a simple one!

I am using: MPC-HC, madvr, and LAV Filters.

I see embedded subtitles on some MKVs, but not all. In fact I see them on maybe 10-20% and DONT see them on the rest.

When I right click in MPC-HC it shows the subtitles are available and that they are selected. But I see nothing.

I checked under LAV splitter settings - and Deliver only Forced subtitles is NOT checked - so it should use all subtitles.

I am stumped.
LordX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 21:42   #9  |  Link
sneaker_ger

For MPC-HC try:
1. Updating to the newest version.
2. Checking "Position subtitles relative to the video frame" unter Options->Subtitles->Default Style

If it does not work:
3. Try XySubFilter (the one at the bottom)

Also, open a ticket with a sample in the MPC-HC bug tracker.
Old 9th November 2013, 04:34   #10  |  Link
Frankenscript
Longtime Lurker

LordX2:
In MPC-HC/LAV (though I don't use MADVR yet), I most often get subs showing when I DON'T want them... as in by default it seems to play any sub stream it finds. More on that in a minute.

But, if you are missing subs that should be there, try setting it to "Default" in the properties window. That should bring up just about everything, based on my experience. However, as I noted for kill bill, if the track isn't labeled either "default" or "forced" you may benefit from a quick remux with MKVToolnix MKVMerge marking the track with those attributes. I've found non-forced non-default marked tracks may be impossible to show otherwise using LAV, in my experience (though, other players may have no problem with them).

sneaker_ger: do you have any suggestions for what the optimal settings in the LAV splitter and subs filter windows would be? As noted above, most things I rip have a subs track that is the full english text of english language content. I still haven't found the optimal choice such that "usually, undesired full english text won't come up, and usually, forced subs (whether part of a "forced track" or forced parts of a complete track) show at the right places as needed." If I could get to an 80% spot where just once in a while I have to turn on or off subs, but it usually works kind of space, I'd be happy. Right now I'm sort of all or nothing. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Marc
Old 9th November 2013, 18:53   #11  |  Link
mindbomb

that is a little known feature of lav splitter, you can tell it to display certain subs based on the audio language. set subtitle selection mode to advanced and enter eng:eng|f;eng:off;*:eng in the subtitles box. this enables only forced subs when english audio is detected and enables english subs when foreign audio is detected.
Old 10th November 2013, 04:00   #12  |  Link
Frankenscript
Longtime Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbomb View Post
that is a little known feature of lav splitter, you can tell it to display certain subs based on the audio language. set subtitle selection mode to advanced and enter eng:eng|f;eng:off;*:eng in the subtitles box. this enables only forced subs when english audio is detected and enables english subs when foreign audio is detected.
Cool. Will set this up once I get home from a trip in a few days. Thanks for posting this. As you say I will enable advanced mode with this... anything special about the other settings underneath in that properties dialog?

Can't wait to try it out. I've got some assorted content with different subtitle scenarios (english with forced, english with non-forced that I don't want to show, Japanese with english non-forced subs I do want to see...)

Thanks again! Will report back mid-week when I have a chance to try it all out.

Marc
Old 10th November 2013, 04:33   #13  |  Link
mindbomb

this actually reminded me of something else though, the old default vs forced subtitle question for matroska. Technically, I think you are supposed to use the default tag in general, and the forced tag is sorta an extreme option that is basically akin to hardsubbing and should almost never be used. And if that is the case, then lav splitter should pick up the right subs out of the box, since it should already show the default subs.

Last edited by mindbomb; 10th November 2013 at 04:35.
Old 10th November 2013, 07:56   #14  |  Link
Chetwood

Quote:
However, as I noted for kill bill, if the track isn't labeled either "default" or "forced" you may benefit from a quick remux with MKVToolnix MKVMerge marking the track with those attributes.
No need to remux, simply set the flags in MKVmerge's header editor.

Quote:
Any thoughts?
Unlike BDs and DVDs, MKVs do not allow for single items to be flagged but only an entire stream. So if you only want to see forced subs, you need to extract them to a separate stream.

MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink
: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Übersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Chetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2013, 08:44   #15  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetwood View Post
Unlike BDs and DVDs, MKVs do not allow for single items to be flagged but only an entire stream. So if you only want to see forced subs, you need to extract them to a separate stream.
Thats not true, the flagging is part of the subtitle stream, so if you copy it 1:1 from a BD, it'll still have the individual flags on every subtitle frame.
Old 11th November 2013, 07:02   #16  |  Link
Chetwood

Which will be completely ignored by the player who reads the container flags.

MultiShrink
Old 11th November 2013, 08:23   #17  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetwood View Post
Which will be completely ignored by the player who reads the container flags.
Maybe your player does that, mine is fully capable of playing a untouched BD PGS stream with individual forced subtitle frames, in MKV.
Mostly because the player just doesn't care about the container. If you ask it to only play forced frames out of such a stream, it'll do just that, no matter if a BD m2ts file or a MKV.
Old 12th November 2013, 06:54   #18  |  Link
Chetwood

Any particular reason you're not saying what player you are using?

MultiShrink
Old 12th November 2013, 08:07   #19  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Any player that can use LAV Splitter really, so take your pick between the DirectShow players on Windows. MPC-HC/BE, ZoomPlayer, JRiver MediaCenter, ....
Old 13th November 2013, 07:48   #20  |  Link
Chetwood

So if I rip Avatar with the English substream to MKV and play it back in MPC-HC, it will only show those Navi items that are flagged as forced in the PGS?

MultiShrink

Tags
kill bill, mpc-hc, subs