Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 2nd December 2022, 13:51   #19781  |  Link
cypher007

got a question. when i do a 2 pass hvec 265 encode ive noticed the bit rate on the second pass steadily increases and the frame rate drops steadily also. surely the bit rate would vary depending on the action or not in the movie?
cypher007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2022, 14:06   #19782  |  Link
TDS
Formally known as .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher007 View Post
got a question. when i do a 2 pass hvec 265 encode ive noticed the bit rate on the second pass steadily increases and the frame rate drops steadily also. surely the bit rate would vary depending on the action or not in the movie?
Not sure why you're doing a 2 pass..

Are you referring to the encoding "speed" shown at the bottom of the encoder window.

It will vary depending on what it has to encode at that time...

RipBot264 modded builds..
TDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2022, 14:35   #19783  |  Link
cypher007

the fps and kbps at the bottom. doing a 2 pass as want it to fir a bdr size in case later on i start freeing up space.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 23
Size:  12.3 KB
Old 2nd December 2022, 14:45   #19784  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
the fps and kbps at the bottom. doing a 2 pass as want it to fir a bdr size in case later on i start freeing up space.

Attachment 18266
It's best if you do not attach files like this, they take a long time to be approved, you're better off using a site like Imgur or something, and posting the link.

Old 2nd December 2022, 15:25   #19785  |  Link
rlev11

Ryushin and Pauly,

Looks like to get the encoding servers on an bare updated install to work with the SMdegrain scripts, all that needs to be done is the libfftw3f-3 dll install from the "Important to Install" folder. I didn't have to do anything else install wise or merge in the Tools folder. AVIsynth was already installed from the windows installer the first time the encoding server started up.

Currently testing a full frame 4k grainy source to do a speed comparison. Doing just an Mdegrain3-300 I was getting about 28fps will my whole farm active. Doing it with the SMDegrain medium script it is running around 42fps. That's like a 50% increase in speed, WOW!.

I still have to affinity mask the 16 core Ryzens down to 12 with SMdegrain, but even with all 16 cores active, the performance does not drop off the cliff like it does with just MDegrain. CPU usage on the 16 core Ryzens also is much less with SMDegrain, so I think with them firing up a second server instance will be really beneficial. Will probably play with the affinity mask and activate the 4 unused cores from server1 and use them on server 2 to balance things out a bit.
rlev11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2022, 15:36   #19786  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Dunne View Post
Hey guys,

Due to recent findings & problems with my builds, for some users (at least the users that inform me of problems, thanks mainly to rlev11), I will be pulling ALL my current builds, until further notice.

Thanks for your support

But don't forget this one, v1.26.3 (virgin) build :-

https://www.mediafire.com/file/c1rko...n%2529.7z/file
Please don't take down your builds. Without your builds we would not have SMDegrain and other tools. These are still your builds. I did not create them, you did. I just stripped down the files to the core of what you created. My links are purposely only valid until the end of January. If I've offended you by posting them I'll take then down now if you like. These are based on your work of course.

Might I suggest three builds.

SMDegrain Only: Stripped down so it does not overwrite any RB files and is a tiny download.
PD Tools and Scripts: Stripped down so it does not overwrite any RB files.
Full PD Tools and Updated Tools: Your full build that replaces the RB Tools folder.

It would also be interesting for you to see what build users pick. I think the SMDegrain only will be fairly static and not have to be updated often. The other two builds will require more of your meticulous attention.

I would use your "PD Tools and Scripts" version as I focus more on "It just works" kind of thing. Not overwriting any RB files will minimize problems. But I also don't get the improvements either. It would be nice if Atak keeps x265 and other important tools updated more often.

Please don't be discouraged. You've added a lot to RB and it is greatly appreciated.
Ryushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2022, 15:43   #19787  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlev11 View Post
Ryushin and Pauly,

Looks like to get the encoding servers on an bare updated install to work with the SMdegrain scripts, all that needs to be done is the libfftw3f-3 dll install from the "Important to Install" folder. I didn't have to do anything else install wise or merge in the Tools folder. AVIsynth was already installed from the windows installer the first time the encoding server started up.

Currently testing a full frame 4k grainy source to do a speed comparison. Doing just an Mdegrain3-300 I was getting about 28fps will my whole farm active. Doing it with the SMDegrain medium script it is running around 42fps. That's like a 50% increase in speed, WOW!.

I still have to affinity mask the 16 core Ryzens down to 12 with SMdegrain, but even with all 16 cores active, the performance does not drop off the cliff like it does with just MDegrain. CPU usage on the 16 core Ryzens also is much less with SMDegrain, so I think with them firing up a second server instance will be really beneficial. Will probably play with the affinity mask and activate the 4 unused cores from server1 and use them on server 2 to balance things out a bit.
Very good to know. We bought new parts for our Desktop computer with the cyber monday sales. The desktop is currently running a first gen Ryzen 7 1800x and we have bought the Ryzen 9 7950x, which should come today, but the other parts won't get here until next week. I'll have to look at the affinity mask and see how I'm going to set it up.
Old 2nd December 2022, 15:52   #19788  |  Link
rlev11

On this grainy 4k source I'm running now(most cpu intensive), a single encoding server was around 6fps, 2 combined is around 9fps. This is on my 7950x.

OMG, going from an 1800x to a 7950x, you are in for quite a ride performance wise....
Old 3rd December 2022, 01:22   #19789  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin View Post
Please don't take down your builds. Without your builds we would not have SMDegrain and other tools. These are still your builds. I did not create them, you did. I just stripped down the files to the core of what you created. My links are purposely only valid until the end of January. If I've offended you by posting them I'll take then down now if you like. These are based on your work of course.

Might I suggest three builds.

SMDegrain Only: Stripped down so it does not overwrite any RB files and is a tiny download.
PD Tools and Scripts: Stripped down so it does not overwrite any RB files.
Full PD Tools and Updated Tools: Your full build that replaces the RB Tools folder.

It would also be interesting for you to see what build users pick. I think the SMDegrain only will be fairly static and not have to be updated often. The other two builds will require more of your meticulous attention.

I would use your "PD Tools and Scripts" version as I focus more on "It just works" kind of thing. Not overwriting any RB files will minimize problems. But I also don't get the improvements either. It would be nice if Atak keeps x265 and other important tools updated more often.

Please don't be discouraged. You've added a lot to RB and it is greatly appreciated.
Hey Ryushin, don't worry too much that I have temporarily taken them down, it doesn't mean yours will suddenly stop working

Having said that, I did decide to do that before I downloaded and unpacked your stripped down options, upon opening, I realised I was kind of wrong for thinking that, as I really couldn't see any changes, but one major omission in the "full" build.

See, this is why feedback is SO important, out of the 100's of downloads, hardly anybody leaves feedback..... are they having problems or not, who knows, so if rlev11 hadn't commented on the setup problems he was having, I would never have known,
as I haven't had these problems, and tbh, I can't figure out why he had problems with the "full" build a couple of weeks ago.

I know why he had certain problems with the "lite" build, but that was my fault for not testing with a 4K clip.

What needs to be done is a very thorough set of install instructions for first timers (and experienced users), so that will take a little time to get right. rlev11 has even offered to help with that, if needed.

As for 3 variants, I think that is a little bit of overkill, I think that a revised "Lite" build is good for ppl that only want the basic SMDegrain experience, and then the "full" build is for the user that wants to try & use MANY, MANY filter options, with no real limits.

As for overwriting the original RipBot folders & files, this IS necessary for the "full" build to be able to use all the resources that SMDegrain requires, and up to date as possible.

So many components within RipBot are very old, and some are probably even redundant.

As I've said many times before, my builds do NOT require the original RipBot to be downloaded or "installed", they are standalone builds !!!

I don't know what more I can say.

But one thing I will say, is, I am working on more "special" filters, I added 3 yesterday, and probably a couple more today, so I haven't given up, I just need to rehash the current process.

Last edited by Pauly Dunne; 3rd December 2022 at 03:02.
Pauly Dunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2022, 01:40   #19790  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
Very good to know. We bought new parts for our Desktop computer with the cyber monday sales. The desktop is currently running a first gen Ryzen 7 1800x and we have bought the Ryzen 9 7950x, which should come today, but the other parts won't get here until next week. I'll have to look at the affinity mask and see how I'm going to set it up.
Wow, I'm impressed to know that you've lashed out and got a 7950X

We'll have to compare notes..

There's is a folder in my builds that has the Affinity options all written up, so it won't be hard to implement (thanks again to rlev11 for that)

Old 4th December 2022, 05:19   #19791  |  Link
TDS

Another sneaky auto update, yesterday

v1.26.3
Added: 7.1 AAC encoding via FFMPEG (new profile will show up after you manually delete Audio.txt file in Profile folder)
Added: Cover art can be also added in BATCH MODE
Added: Automatic color conversion rec.601->rec.709 when upscaling from SD to HD
Fixed: Main application RipBot264.exe was launching EncodingServer.exe without proper /avisynth-prefetch-threads switch
Fixed: PC didn't automatically wake up at scheduled time if system date format was different than YYYY-MM-DD

Thanks Atak

FYI:- This is only significant IF the user uses the "Work Hours" function.

Fixed

Last edited by TDS; 5th December 2022 at 00:33.
Old 4th December 2022, 18:49   #19792  |  Link
cypher007

work hours and windows 10

ok ive tried today with my laptop to use work hours and it still doesnt work. its obviously an issue with windows 10 and this feature.

it will always shutdown at the correct time but then never wakes.

i would like to get this working as i have a 4kwp solar array and electric is now £0.40 per kwh in the UK or $0.48 in US equivalent. so not small beans.
Old 4th December 2022, 19:40   #19793  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

I do not have access to physical Windows 10 machine. Only Win7 and virtual win11. It works 100% on my win7 even with non-standard date format like MM-DD-YYYY. Maybe other users could test if this is a problem indeed related with win10/11.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2022, 20:22   #19794  |  Link
rlev11

Quote:
ok ive tried today with my laptop to use work hours and it still doesnt work. its obviously an issue with windows 10 and this feature.

i would like to get this working as i have a 4kwp solar array and electric is now £0.40 per kwh in the UK or $0.48 in US equivalent. so not small beans.
Couple things to maybe try. First in the advanced settings of the power plan, make sure that allow wake timers is enabled.

If that doesn't work, Google how to wake your computer using windows task scheduler. You could then make the task scheduler wake the computer a couple minutes before you have set whatever you have in ripbot and see if that makes things work.
Old 5th December 2022, 00:09   #19795  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
I do not have access to physical Windows 10 machine. Only Win7 and virtual win11. It works 100% on my win7 even with non-standard date format like MM-DD-YYYY. Maybe other users could test if this is a problem indeed related with win10/11.

Atak, PLEASE explain how this works, so "we" all know...

So what I would like to know is, when using this feature, what happens to the progress of the encode, when it turns itself off ??

If you were using DE, then whatever chunk(s) is being processed, would be lost, when the pc shuts down, and hopefully, when it starts again, it would start on the next chunk (the one that was not completed, when it shutdown), but if you weren't using DE, then the whole encode would be lost.

Old 5th December 2022, 00:26   #19796  |  Link
TDS

Quote:

Come on cypher, I think it's time you gave up on this...

I have a 5.2kW solar array, and my power is approx $0.38 per kwh, but my "rule", if the solar isn't generating enough power so I can encode for "free", I don't do any, and with the weather in my area being really crappy for months & months, I don't get much done , and time's running out.

I would think that if there were other users that use this function, you would have had some replies, but in my way of thinking, as you haven't, no body uses it !!!!

If Atak would explain what it does to encodes in progress, then it's probably not a really economical process, as you would be losing encodes, everytime it shuts down !!!

As rlev11 suggested, maybe you should set up a Windows Task to shut down & wake up the laptop, but then that wouldn't restart the interrupted encode, would it

Old 5th December 2022, 10:23   #19797  |  Link
slalom

Quote:
Thank Atak for the update and the new features. I appreciate it.

If you have time would be nice to have SMDegrain replace MDegrain. The results are just staggering and I resisted doing it for so long because I thought MDegrain did such a good job it could not really improve that much with SMDegrain. SMDegrain's output is so much improved it's staggering. It's like the difference MDegrain made over HQDN3D and that I would never go back to HQDN3D after seeing the results for MDegrain. Now SMDegrain has made MDegrain obsolete.

Now I'm at the point where the output is so clean with SMDegrain I think something must be wrong as the file sizes are so much smaller and I must have lost detail. Every detailed comparison I've made shows that I was wrong and the output from SMDegrain has not only removed the grain, but since the grain is removed, details actually stand out and everything appears crisper. I've actually started re-encoding older films and watching them again such as The Terminator, The Edge, etc. just because the difference in detail is so dramatic it is like experiencing the film all over again and it is a joy to watch.

SMDegrain also does not produce the detail blur I saw with MDegrain3 in a characters face when they turned their head.

The only tweak I have started doing is blksize=8 when dealing with video that has a lot of dark scenes in it.

Please replace MDegrain with the following SMDegrain strength settings:
Light: SMDegrain(video,tr=2,thSAD=200,thSADC=100,contrasharp=true,prefilter=0,refinemotion=true)
Medium: SMDegrain(video,tr=4,thSAD=400,thSADC=200,contrasharp=true,prefilter=1,refinemotion=true)
Strong: SMDegrain(video,tr=8,thSAD=800,thSADC=400,contrasharp=true,prefilter=2,refinemotion=true)

Thanks again Atak for everything.
What about the speed?
What's the difference in speed between SMDegrain & MDegrain at those 3 settings you suggest?

Last edited by slalom; 5th December 2022 at 11:50.
slalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2022, 12:35   #19798  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
What about the speed?
What's the difference in speed between SMDegrain & MDegrain at those 3 settings you suggest?
Hi slalom,

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...20#post1979320

Old 5th December 2022, 13:09   #19799  |  Link
cypher007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS View Post
Come on cypher, I think it's time you gave up on this...

I have a 5.2kW solar array, and my power is approx $0.38 per kwh, but my "rule", if the solar isn't generating enough power so I can encode for "free", I don't do any, and with the weather in my area being really crappy for months & months, I don't get much done , and time's running out.

I would think that if there were other users that use this function, you would have had some replies, but in my way of thinking, as you haven't, no body uses it !!!!

If Atak would explain what it does to encodes in progress, then it's probably not a really economical process, as you would be losing encodes, everytime it shuts down !!!

As rlev11 suggested, maybe you should set up a Windows Task to shut down & wake up the laptop, but then that wouldn't restart the interrupted encode, would it
if i wasnt on such crap money i would just let it run, but im now looking at using works pc to do the encodes. the problem i have is a typical 2hr movie takes about 24hrs on my i5 10th gen.
Old 5th December 2022, 15:39   #19800  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
What about the speed?
Well, thing is, SMDegrain and MDegrain are so different from one another the speed should not be comparable. SMDegrain calls a lot more functions and I would think it would be vastly slower, but it's not. SMDegrain is comparable in speed to MDegrain. All depends on functions used.

Generally, and I don't know why, SMDegrain Light and Medium is faster than equivalent MDegrain. While SMDegrain Hard is about 20-30% slower than MDegrain. SMDegrain gives vastly improved visuals over MDegrain. Just as MDegrain gave huge improved visuals over HQDN3D.

Edit: blksize=8 drops the speed down by half, which is okay as it's processing four times as many blocks. I use this to prevent "blotchy" in content that the background is almost dark, or having two similar colors, such as in Untouchables, where Sean Connery is wearing a navy blue uniform at night on the bridge. Though I have to zoom up on the image to notice it.

Last edited by Ryushin; 5th December 2022 at 15:46. Reason: More Information

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360