Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Closed Thread

Old 10th January 2009, 08:23   #861  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
3. Removed the Treat I as IDR option as it is now always enabled.
Just for my own interest: Doesn't this result in artifacts during seeking? I mean, I've been told that if you seek to an I (non IDR) frame with h264, you're in danger of getting artifacts. Aren't we supposed to look for "recovery point SEIs"?
Old 10th January 2009, 08:56   #862  |  Link

If the GOP is open, then the decoder backs off by one GOP and then decodes enough frames to get back to the seeked-to frame. This is exactly the same thing done in DGMPGDec.
Old 11th January 2009, 03:24   #863  |  Link
rica

Neuron,
you've given me a lot of homework to do at the weekend
Old 11th January 2009, 03:29   #864  |  Link

rica, you've helped me so much in the past with your testing and feedback, I want to acknowledge that.
Old 11th January 2009, 03:43   #865  |  Link
rica

You are welcome my friend.
I always appreciated your endless efforts; to be grateful is on my side.
Thanks a lot one more time btw.
I gonna try to do my best.

Last edited by rica; 11th January 2009 at 03:46.
Old 12th January 2009, 11:53   #866  |  Link
Denner

Hi.

Stumbled upon this thread in my search for quicker x264 encoding, and this might help me do that, am I correct ?

If i understand correctly DGAVCDecNV is a filter ( or is it a program ) that will frame serve for me leaving all of my Intel quad core's processing power free to do the x264 encoding, and in that way help me achieve faster encoding speeds ?

I got a Geforce 9400 GT card, but is that a fast enough graphics card or wont it help me at all ?

I will gladly donate ( pay ) for the filter, but I am a little concerned that I have misunderstood what DGAVCDecNV is and how to use it
Old 12th January 2009, 14:50   #867  |  Link

It's discussed several times in this thread. Bottom line: speedup will be quite modest on fast systems because decoding requires a small fraction of the total decoding+encoding load. On some slower systems it can give a useful speedup. The motivation for using the GPU is to get correct decoding, access to the PureVideo postprocessor, and support for VC1.
Old 12th January 2009, 16:21   #868  |  Link
Denner

Ok I am sorry if it was a stupid question, just wanted to ask before I buy it from you
Old 12th January 2009, 20:41   #869  |  Link
rica

Denner, i can suggest you to use DGAVC so as to have an idea.
It is a free, software based decoder+frame Server using Libav Codec instead of nVidia's HW based decoder.
I'm about to open a topic on BD retranscoding via DGAVCNV and DGVC1NV.

Last edited by rica; 12th January 2009 at 21:08.
Old 12th January 2009, 22:43   #870  |  Link
Denner

Cool and thanks, I will try it out
Old 16th January 2009, 05:51   #871  |  Link

First MKV file decoded and displayed

It's early days and all that, but I thought you might be interested to know that I just decoded and displayed my first MKV file with AVC video in DGAVCIndexNV. I adapted low-level MKV parsing code provided to me by Haali.

There's still a lot of work to do, especially with DGAVCDecodeNV and audio demuxing, but it looks like there's nothing to stop me from implementing full MKV support. With DivX backing MKV+AVC now, I think it will be a useful addition to the DG tools.

In case you're wondering, I made my own MKV file with mkvtoolnix.
Old 16th January 2009, 07:28   #872  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
.... but it looks like there's nothing to stop me from implementing full MKV support. With DivX backing MKV+AVC now, I think it will be a useful addition to the DG tools.

Cool, thanks!
Old 16th January 2009, 18:30   #873  |  Link
ultratoto14

Quote:
It's early days and all that, but I thought you might be interested to know that I just decoded and displayed my first MKV file with AVC video in DGAVCIndexNV. I adapted low-level MKV parsing code provided to me by Haali.

There's still a lot of work to do, especially with DGAVCDecodeNV and audio demuxing, but it looks like there's nothing to stop me from implementing full MKV support. With DivX backing MKV+AVC now, I think it will be a useful addition to the DG tools.

Congratulations.
Old 17th January 2009, 20:58   #874  |  Link
rica

Quote:
It's early days and all that, but I thought you might be interested to know that I just decoded and displayed my first MKV file with AVC video in DGAVCIndexNV.
Congrats
Old 19th January 2009, 08:02   #875  |  Link
Clumpco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumpco View Post
Donald, please credit me with a little more intelligence than that.....

..... All this makes capturing/encoding a very linear process and reduces the benefit of the high framerates obtained.
I cannot capture from a sat card while indexing/encoding.
I cannot index another file while encoding or capturing.
I cannot edit a .ts while indexing/encoding.
I have come back to my original post to apologise for being rather shirty. I was struggling with glitches, sync problems and generally being a bear of little brain at the time. I'm sorry.
The server/decoder is excellent software and I would be lost without it.

Since I posted I have changed my sat card (got a Skystar HD2 - highly recommendable) and this new one will work in the bottom PCI slot. The previous one would only work in the 2nd slot which put it right next to my double-width 9600GT. This was leading to overheating problems which explains why I could not index/frameserve while capturing - obviously the extra heat from the 9600GT engine during this operation was just enough to cause the sat card to glitch seriously.

Keep up the good work!
Old 19th January 2009, 09:22   #876  |  Link
xopowo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumpco View Post
I have come back to my original post to apologise for being rather shirty. I was struggling with glitches, sync problems and generally being a bear of little brain at the time. I'm sorry.
The server/decoder is excellent software and I would be lost without it.

Since I posted I have changed my sat card (got a Skystar HD2 - highly recommendable) and this new one will work in the bottom PCI slot. The previous one would only work in the 2nd slot which put it right next to my double-width 9600GT. This was leading to overheating problems which explains why I could not index/frameserve while capturing - obviously the extra heat from the 9600GT engine during this operation was just enough to cause the sat card to glitch seriously.

Keep up the good work!
Don't sweat it man. I've been using this since day one of its release and I can't live without it either. There is one thing in particular that bugs the crap out of me that happens with CUVIDServer, but I just deal with it since there is no other option. So, I know where you're coming from. I guess the next time when you get frustrated, make sure that what you "can" and "cannot" do is troubleshot at your level before you blame the software.

The issue I have with CUVIDServer is 99.999% soimething with it though, or so I would think
Old 19th January 2009, 12:12   #877  |  Link
popper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajj_3 View Post
ahh, didnt realise they hadn't released the API's, are they planning to release them or have they not released any info about their plans with API's?
its OT here (you can open up and directly link a new thread related to ATI UVD ASIC use if you like)but for a one time reference here, i asked Bridgeman about this UVD ASIC subject and pointed him to neuron2's and BetaBoys VS2 ASIC API work....heres the basic information known at this time...

"Mr bridgeman the ATI/AMD Executive in charge of the current code/documentation releases and ATI market push, has been asked to work with the open code initatives and provide the equivanent NV/VS2 ATI UVD API documentation were he stated in the very professional developer relations manner last week

"bridgeman:we are going to look into opening up UVD, I just can't make any commitments until we have actually gone through the investigation and it won't be quick. ...."
and he confirmed ATT after i asked will it take months, "bridgeman:For open source, yes,"

the one point of light at the moment (but probably not relevant in this case unless the open/closed code developers of NV cuda/VS2 apps have a personal interest in also producing UVD code in the future for [non] windows platform), is this, Bridgeman also said "I expect fglrx will have it sooner" when refering to that long month on months wait for the open source vendors.

potentially that means any org or business looking to use and/or port the closed ATI/AMD fglrx driver or use any of the "UVD" capabilitys could potentialy get hold of the required API documentation, work with Bridgeman, and impliment it into their products...."

Last edited by popper; 19th January 2009 at 12:26.
Old 19th January 2009, 12:50   #878  |  Link
CruNcher

Popper it's typical for the Industry it's slow (@ releasing stuff they have developed the last 2 years and finished laying around) and fooling the consumer when ever it can, but Nvidia is currently far far ahead of ATI they even run them over in Video which is was ATIs dominating Market space for years they run over ATIs Xilieon platform also with Tegra @ it's back and the Ion Platform too and Ati has Paper laying around and talks about "we investigate" that's pathetic just pathetic it shows that this company is not able currently to react fast enough to the market and it's competitors, i wonder how his explanation impacted their share on wall street

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 19th January 2009 at 12:55.
Old 19th January 2009, 14:12   #879  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by xopowo View Post
There is one thing in particular that bugs the crap out of me that happens with CUVIDServer, but I just deal with it since there is no other option.
What is it about the server that bugs you?
Old 19th January 2009, 14:23   #880  |  Link
rack04

Only "problem" that I've noticed with CUVIDServer is that if I choose to cancel an encode CUVIDServer hangs. I have to ctrl-alt-del to get it to close.
Closed Thread