Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Capturing Video

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27th January 2009, 01:26   #1  |  Link
weaker

Confused about interlacing, flags and encoding

Hi all,

this is my first analogue capture, so please bear with me.

I capture VHS tapes via S-Video-In on my ViVo capable Geforce 6600GT. I use VirtualVCR and the nVidia WDM drivers to capture to lossless Lagarith AVI in full PAL resolution (720x576). The card only supports capturing UYVY, that's why I use YUY2 in Lagarith.

I think I'm going to do the processing with AviSynth when I figured out how to use Lagarith with it and avoiding colorspace conversion to RGB through DirectShowSource() (Is that possible at all?).

In the end I want a DVD for watching on TV as a target platform and perhaps a progressive PC-only video in x264.

After reading the guide and the DVD FAQ I am confused and have several questions regarding the DVD:

As I capture interlaced video from VHS, what would be the best steps to preserve as much quality as possible?

1) Don't deinterlace, interlaced workflow, perform denoising/contrast enhancements/etc. only on fields (using SeparateFields()) and weave() at the end
Encoding with HCenc as interlaced MPEG-2 and creating a DVD with interlaced flag set.
Deinterlace last for the progressive PC-only vid.

1b) like 1) but denoising/etc. on the frame as it is (with both fields interlaced)

2) Deinterlace first and then perform denoising etc.
Encode with HCenc as progressive MPEG-2 and flag the DVD as progressive.

3) First perform denoising, luma/contrast correction then deinterlace.
Encode as progressive and flag as progressive.

4) Is there any case where it could make sense to set HCenc to progressive and flag the DVD interlaced (or vice versa)?

I hope I was able to pose the questions clearly. Thanks in advance.

PS: Why is HCenc not mentioned in the capture guide?
weaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dvd, flags, interlaced, nvidia, vhs