Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 6th October 2018, 01:18   #53001  |  Link
mclingo

turn on full screen windowed mode in KODI DS and set KODI DS gui with the same res as your desktop.

but this can depend on your kit, add you hardware to your sig

go here for KODI DS issues, load of people on there willing to help.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php...23175&page=440

Last edited by mclingo; 6th October 2018 at 01:21.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2018, 01:31   #53002  |  Link
JayeDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
turn on full screen windowed mode in KODI DS and set KODI DS gui with the same res as your desktop.

but this can depend on your kit, add you hardware to your sig

go here for KODI DS issues, load of people on there willing to help.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php...23175&page=440
Added sig. ive done the above but no luck. In fse mode on 385.28 there seems to be no issue but performance is lower.
JayeDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2018, 01:40   #53003  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayeDog View Post
Added sig. ive done the above but no luck. In fse mode on 385.28 there seems to be no issue but performance is lower.
assuming you have a 4k screen remove any 1080p display modes from MADVR, this might be causing it.

I actually dont use MADVR refresh rate switching as there is a bug with AMD cards with it, I use KODI DS refresh rate switching instead, I dont think you can do with this NVIDIA card though as you have to set CRU's for timings.

Ive defo had this before but for the life of me I can remember what it was now, sure it was either windows full screen mode or 1080p display modes, that might be the vodka though
Old 6th October 2018, 07:20   #53004  |  Link
jandari

I have set DSplayer into Full screen exclusive mode and HDR is now working on 4xx.xx drivers.
jandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2018, 09:21   #53005  |  Link
raymondjpg

Windows 10 1803, Intel UHD Graphics 605 and Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640, some recent Windows updates have crippled video playback on PotPlayer and MPC-BE with madVR and LAV filters.

Playback is fine in windowed mode, but the players don't seem to have focus to receive keyboard comands from a remote control through a USB IR receiver. Focus can be achieved by running madVR in FSE mode, but playback is then slow to start with audio running for 6-8 seconds with one or two frames playing before the video kicks in and plays perfectly. Pausing and restarting the video has no problems. The issue is when starting the video.

There is no such issue in Windows 10 1709, but even with that version some updates have also made the video players lose focus so that FSE has to be employed. In this case though playback starts perfectly well without issue.

I can also say that madVR is the only video renderer that I have tested with PotPlayer and MPC-BE that can overcome the loss of focus for remote control keyboard commands, through the use of FSE. I saw release notes for v0.92.17 that "render & present queues didn't always fill in Windows 10 build 1803" has been fixed, but I still see playback is slow to start with this version.

So my question is, does anyone else have this issue, and is there some way to overcome it?
raymondjpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2018, 09:33   #53006  |  Link
yok833

Hi guys,

I have tried the tone map hdr using pixel shaders (hdr output) and the results are very good ! Thanks Madshi!!

Regarding the target peak nits, is there a way to define what would be the best target or is it just a question of taste and feeling?

I have a I1 display pro, can it help me to determine the best target peak ?
yok833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2018, 09:38   #53007  |  Link
James Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
as soon as I set highlight recovery strength to anything else other than 'none' my picture turns black & white. does anyone know why?

using madVR 0.92.17 hdrMeasure3 test build (but I already had this problem with earlier versions as well). rest of my setup --> signature
Same here,, happens with 92.15 too.
GTX660, software decoding.

Probably DirectCompute related.

Last edited by James Freeman; 6th October 2018 at 09:59.
James Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2018, 11:51   #53008  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by yok833 View Post
Hi guys,

I have tried the tone map hdr using pixel shaders (hdr output) and the results are very good ! Thanks Madshi!!

Regarding the target peak nits, is there a way to define what would be the best target or is it just a question of taste and feeling?

I have a I1 display pro, can it help me to determine the best target peak ?
It's only a matter of taste and feel if you don't own a colorimeter. The I1 dispaly pro is the ultimate power in the universe. I suggest you use it. You may want to try the 2% pattern and compare to 10% to see if there is any difference, use the brightest reading as target

Last edited by mytbyte; 6th October 2018 at 11:56.
mytbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2018, 12:49   #53009  |  Link
mrmarioman

sony's new tv's have this thing they call, dynamic tone mapping, kinda like hdr10+, but it does it on-the-fly. it would be cool if madshi could add something like this to madvr :P
mrmarioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2018, 15:21   #53010  |  Link
Warner306

It is already added...see "measure each frame's peak luminance." It is working well in the latest test build, but already does dynamic tone mapping in the current release.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2018, 15:22   #53011  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
The 2080 Ti is a lot faster for madVR.

I see a bit over 40% for 1080p -> 2160p with NGU very high upscaling.
More tests to follow.
That performance is probably inline or slightly better than video games. Such an upgrade makes it easier to stomach the cost of those GPUs when they should have a very long life.
Old 6th October 2018, 15:39   #53012  |  Link
ultrahd_hdr

don't update to October update, Microsoft pulls Windows 10 October 2018 Update from its Download page due to data loss problem

https://pureinfotech.com/windows-10-...-loss-problem/

https://news.thewindowsclub.com/micr...-update-93457/
ultrahd_hdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2018, 16:00   #53013  |  Link
wnholt01

Video Stuttering After Upgrade

I recently upgraded my video card from GTX 1060 to RTX 2080ti. After the upgrade I bumped up the NGU chroma and upscaling algorithms from low to their highest settings. When playing video now I get stuttering, however the rendering time is relatively low (<20) when compared to the vsync time for the video frame rate, and all queues are full. If I lower the algorithm setting back down to medium or low the stuttering goes away.

If the card wasn't powerful enough to handle to increased NGU algorithm setting wouldn't I see higher render times and/or queues that aren't filling up? Is there anything else that could explain the stuttering caused by increasing the NGU algorithm quality settings? Appreciate any help on figuring this one out.
wnholt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2018, 16:07   #53014  |  Link
mytbyte

Couldn't find if it was already covered, but tone map options "color tweaks for fire & explosions" and "highlight recovery strength) are ghosted in v0.92.17, no matter what I select. Are these not working poperly or are removed, only not from GUI, or am I missing something?
Old 6th October 2018, 16:12   #53015  |  Link
aufkrawall

You supposedly didn't test with a suited test scene.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2018, 16:15   #53016  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
You supposedly didn't test with a suited test scene.
What would be a suitable test scene?

P.S: OK, just got it, one needs to disable "compromise on tone&gamut mapping in "trade quality for performance..."
Old 6th October 2018, 16:23   #53017  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnholt01 View Post
I recently upgraded my video card from GTX 1060 to RTX 2080ti. After the upgrade I bumped up the NGU chroma and upscaling algorithms from low to their highest settings. When playing video now I get stuttering, however the rendering time is relatively low (<20) when compared to the vsync time for the video frame rate, and all queues are full. If I lower the algorithm setting back down to medium or low the stuttering goes away.

If the card wasn't powerful enough to handle to increased NGU algorithm setting wouldn't I see higher render times and/or queues that aren't filling up? Is there anything else that could explain the stuttering caused by increasing the NGU algorithm quality settings? Appreciate any help on figuring this one out.
Asmodian would have to confirm this behavior with his GTX 2080 Ti. You don't really benefit much from using NGU very high for chroma upscaling in the interim. This bottleneck has been reported by a few others with different graphics cards.

Last edited by Warner306; 6th October 2018 at 16:25.
Old 6th October 2018, 18:55   #53018  |  Link
Asmodian

I do not see that with my 2080 Ti, no stuttering even running NGU very high chroma and luma (note I think chroma high is a better option when not testing). I can even turn on all the upscaling refinement options at the same time without any issues. This is with 1080p -> 2160p.
Old 6th October 2018, 19:00   #53019  |  Link
SamuriHL

Make sure when you upgrade a video card, even if it's the same type (i.e. nVidia), that you clean install the driver.
Old 6th October 2018, 19:27   #53020  |  Link
Asmodian

And then set it back to "Adaptive" instead of "Optimal power".

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling