Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th March 2016, 01:18   #1  |  Link
Moppelkotze

Forgot my settings for Handbrake, how do I recover them from a finished file?

Hi,

I did several testruns and somewhere along the way I lost record.
It was also late in the night and I slept in between.

When I open the file in MediaInfo it says

Quote:
cabac=1 / ref=9 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=10 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=24 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=8 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=500 / keyint_min=50 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=60 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=26.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=62500 / vbv_bufsize=78125 / crf_max=0.0 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
I remember what I did, but I don't remember which CRF setting I used. Can anyone see that from the above?

THANK YOU!!!!

Last edited by Moppelkotze; 17th March 2016 at 01:06. Reason: changed "nate" to "night"
Moppelkotze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2016, 02:32   #2  |  Link
raffriff42
Retried Guesser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moppelkotze View Post
/ crf=26.0 /
And preset probably was veryslow since subme=10, rc_lookahead=60
raffriff42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 01:05   #3  |  Link
Moppelkotze

Oh, now I see, I could have determined the CRF value, blind me

Thank you very much. Exact I used "veryslow".

I converted the same file again and there is a scene at the beginning, that looks different. When I look into mediaInfo the specs were exactly the same. Only different, one is only the first 1min. of the episode and the other is 10min.
The average bitrate is shown as being different, but that is obvious, since it is a longer piece.

Hm, strange.
Attached Images

Last edited by Moppelkotze; 17th March 2016 at 01:16.
Old 17th March 2016, 20:22   #4  |  Link
kuchikirukia

Can't see since pending approval, but possibly different deinterlacing settings? Your keint implies this is 50fps, which would generally mean an interlaced source.
kuchikirukia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2016, 17:32   #5  |  Link
littlepox

--crf 26 --preset veryslow --level 4.2 --keyint 500 --min-keyint 50
This is exactly what you were using.
littlepox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2016, 01:12   #6  |  Link
Moppelkotze

Thanks for all the answers.

Yes, it is PAL from TV, allthough it is a *ts (x264) file from digital satelite, but I have my PVR connected to a PAL-Tube and that setting is saved in the PVR-box as well. I wonder though, if in this particular case it will make any difference, since it is cartoon and I can't see these lines on my Computer, that I can see, when I capture PAL-VHS tapes.

I thought I was satisfied with the result with the above settings, but two days later I thought I will do some more testruns and I am not really sure anymore. It also seems as if there is no real difference between RF20 and RF26 or even RF28. The source is HD cartoon (no fancy stuff, but a bit like an aquarelle-ish colour gradients). There is also no difference between "tune: none" and "animation".

Would it be too audacious/bold to ask, if someone of you is willing to have a look at my testfile and the two results? I would upload them on Dropbox. I could include a log file, if you like.

PS: I looked at it again and it seems, now I see a difference, I thought RF26 did look the same like RF16, but now I have found one transition where there is artefacts in RF26, but not in RF16 and RF22. So now my question would better be, if you can see the same that I see. - or is there a possibility that VLC plays the file different everytime I open it?

Last edited by Moppelkotze; 20th March 2016 at 01:18.
Old 24th March 2016, 22:58   #7  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

The playback will always be the same, but you might be more tired or more alert at different times. Different people have different cutoffs at where they can see artifacts, and the more time you spend looking for artifacts, the better you get at it... so if you'd rather retain your enjoyment of normally encoded stuff as it is, it'd be best to not spend too much time on it.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote