Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th January 2017, 03:17   #1  |  Link
Q-the-STORM

Binaural conversion in MPC-HC (Headphone Virtual Surround)

I'm looking for a good realtime binaural converter to be used in MPC-HC for watching movies with headphones on Windows 10.

What it does is basically convert 5.1 (or 7.1 or whatever) to 2.0, but optimized for headphones in a way that makes it sound like you are listening to actual 5.1/7.1, by calculating which sound needs to arrive at which ear at which time at which volume.

Most threads I can find about this are pretty old.
Q-the-STORM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 03:43   #2  |  Link
huhn

the only free software i know for that:
http://www.razerzone.com/surround
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 03:51   #3  |  Link
clsid

ffdshow audio processor has a "head-related transfer function" mixer option. I dunno how well it works.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 09:38   #4  |  Link
Crimson Wolf

What is your motherboard? Does it have a built-in Realtek HD audio? If so, you might be able to get Dolby Headphone working with a hacked driver. Google for "Home Theater Drivers for your built-in HD Audio" and see if you can make it work. You will probably need to disable driver signing to get this to work, but it should be the cheapest option that is better than the razer surround. I've tried both and for me, the razer surround could be good for games, but not for movies or TV shows. You can also pick up a cheap Xonar card with built-in Dolby Headphone from ebay if you don't feel like using hacked drivers. (If using Xonar, use the UNi Xonar drivers).

If you want the most priciest ($$$) option, google "Out of Your Head", which claims to take measurements from real speakers to generate the virtual surround. Fortunately it has a free trial which works for 2 minutes at a time.
Crimson Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 10:32   #5  |  Link
Asmodian

If we a going expensive Ossic seems to be trying to solve this problem correctly. It cannot be done with a pure software solution without a set of detailed personal measurements taken in an audio lab.
Old 13th January 2017, 15:52   #6  |  Link
hello_hello

If you use ffdshow to process the audio you can use it's WinAmp filter to load WinAmp plugins. ffdshow doesn't have to decode. By enabling the "uncompressed" codec it should process the LAV Audio output.

I haven't tried this one myself. You may find others with Google's help.
http://bs2b.sourceforge.net/download.html
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 23:38   #7  |  Link
Sparktank
47.952fps@71.928Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
If you use ffdshow to process the audio you can use it's WinAmp filter to load WinAmp plugins. ffdshow doesn't have to decode. By enabling the "uncompressed" codec it should process the LAV Audio output.

I haven't tried this one myself. You may find others with Google's help.
http://bs2b.sourceforge.net/download.html
I've been trying that one every now and then for the Meir Crossfeed.

Although, I imagine this is intended for stereo mixes.
ie, if you downmix in FFDShow first to 2.0 and then make sure that Winamp is after the downmix and enable bs2b.

It seems okay. But I (my ears) have spatial problems in headphones. Most often, everything is two dimensional to me with just a hint of depth.

I also find cross-feeds tend to soften the audio much more.
Meir cross-feed does it the most, but also creates more environment around (in front) of you.

The other presets in bs2b are less softening but a lot closer to just a simple stereo mix where you hear things absolute in left or right headphone.

As of late, I've just been setting the PC system to 7.1 speakers and letting everyhing keep it at 7.1 without downmixing anything.
No cross-feeds, etc.
And i've been able to get a sense of a center channel and some surround sound scope.
Mostly helicopters actually coming from behind, and minor effects that were carefully designed to travel.

I use Microsoft brand of Turtle Beaches that I use for gaming on the Xbox One.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @3.4GHz (6c/12th, I'm on AVX2 now!)
Sparktank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hrtf, multichannel, realtime, virtual surround