Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux

Old 15th November 2020, 12:22   #1  |  Link
Troc

Virtualdub and HDR?

I have some 4K UHD discs that I have ripped. I would like to apply some Virtualdub filters, but based on MediaInfo, even HEVC lossless output didn't manage to keep the HDR profile. The output video looks grey and very unappealing.

How would I keep the the video looking as vibrant after outputting from Virtualdub? Do I have to adjust the brightness, saturation, contrast and value by hand or is there a way to automatically adjust the video the same way it's adjusted by video players?
Troc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2020, 14:06   #2  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

What are you playing it on? If it is a SDR display, you'll need to do a HDR to SDR conversion. I am not aware of any Vdub filter to convert HDR to SDR.

I think you will be way better off ditching Vdub for filtering and moving over completely to Avisynth+ or Vapoursynth.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2020, 14:21   #3  |  Link
Troc

Alright, would DG Tonemap be good for this? It seems to have options for contrast, saturation and brightness when I was wondering if I could detect automatically the HDR settings from input?
Troc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2020, 14:34   #4  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Converting HDR to SDR is not simply a matter of adjusting contrast/brightness/saturation/hue with tools designed for non-HDR video. It requires reducing the bit depth and converting from BT2020 to BT709.

Yes, you can extract the HDR metadata from a stream, but what will you do with it?

You are again not answering questions posed to you. It makes it difficult to help you properly.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hdr10, virtualdub2