Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th June 2018, 07:24   #21  |  Link
johnmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
What "lots of freeze frames ?" The pictures he uploaded ? He uploaded 5 frames

He only uploaded a source video, not a processed video

lansing - can you make a directshow graph and use avisynth/directshowsource to upload a processed video please?
I was looking at the video Lansing provided which is, I assume, the source of the OP's stills.
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 15:03   #22  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansing View Post
I have the graph like this "video->LAV video decoder->dmitrirender->video renderer", it was able to play inside graphstudionext, but when I try to load the grf in avs it said

"DirectShowSource: GRF file does not have a compatible open video pin. Graph must have 1 output pin that will bid RGB24, RGB32, ARGB, YUY2, YV12...."
Disconnect the video renderer (delete the box). Leave the dimitrirender box open as the last box. Save the grf
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 15:31   #23  |  Link
lansing

Quote:
Disconnect the video renderer (delete the box). Leave the dimitrirender box open as the last box. Save the grf
Same error message.
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 15:38   #24  |  Link
poisondeathray

Did you remember to save the new grf ?

Right click the dimitrirender box and see what the output pin is sending , or just right click and see if there are options
Old 7th June 2018, 16:06   #25  |  Link
lansing

Quote:
Did you remember to save the new grf ?

Right click the dimitrirender box and see what the output pin is sending , or just right click and see if there are options

Old 7th June 2018, 16:16   #26  |  Link
poisondeathray

In directshowsource, specify the pixel_type="NV12" ; if that doesn't work try pixel_type="YUVex"

eg.
Code:
DirectShowSource("mygraph.grf", fps=23.976, audio=false, pixel_type="NV12")
Old 7th June 2018, 17:28   #27  |  Link
lansing

Changing pixel_type to "YUVex" works
Code:
DirectShowSource("test.grf", fps=59.94, audio=false, pixel_type="YUVex")
hand wave dmitrirender 60fps
Old 7th June 2018, 17:35   #28  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Changing pixel_type to "YUVex" works
Code:
DirectShowSource("test.grf", fps=59.94, audio=false, pixel_type="YUVex")
hand wave dmitrirender 60fps
Thanks.

Did you go through it?

There seem to be some problems, duplicate frames, quality issues.... and it doesn't look as "clean" as your screenshots in the hand waving segment. I'm wondering if something got messed up somewhere

If you open the avs in vdub2 or avspmod, go frame by frame, does it look ok or similar to what you see in mpchc frame by frame ?

EDIT: Actually , it does match your screenshots. It's just there are other sorts of problems. Not that impressive on this test video . But I guess for realtime playback it might look a little better than svp or interframe or whatever method on some frames. But other frames are pretty bad. I thought it might be something much better, but it's not really that good overall either ; it fails under the same circumstances as just about everything else in "automatic" mode

Last edited by poisondeathray; 7th June 2018 at 17:46.
Old 7th June 2018, 17:50   #29  |  Link
lansing

Quote:
Did you go through it?

There seem to be some problems, duplicate frames, quality issues.... and it doesn't look as "clean" as your screenshots in the hand waving segment. I'm wondering if something got messed up somewhere

If you open the avs in vdub2 or avspmod, go frame by frame, does it look ok or similar to what you see in mpchc frame by frame ?

EDIT: Actually , it does match your screenshots. It's just there are other sorts of problems. Not that impressive on this test video . But I guess for realtime playback it might look a little better than svp or interframe or whatever method. I thought it might be something much better, but it's not really
It took about 3 seconds for the filter to start rendering, so the first 3 seconds of the video doesn't have the effect yet.

Comparing it to framerateConverter frame by frame, dmitrirender is also noticeably blurrier.
Old 7th June 2018, 18:02   #30  |  Link
johnmeyer

Quote:
... Not that impressive on this test video . But I guess for realtime playback it might look a little better than svp or interframe or whatever method on some frames. But other frames are pretty bad. I thought it might be something much better, but it's not really that good overall either ; it fails under the same circumstances as just about everything else in "automatic" mode
Quote:
... Comparing it to framerateConverter frame by frame, dmitrirender is also noticeably blurrier.
Thanks to both of you for taking the time to check this out. Sounds like I can find something else to do and not bother with this. I did notice that the video seemed unusually soft, but I figured that was just the source video itself. It sounds like one of the "tricks" was to add a lot of blur to the video which might make the ME algorithms avoid "blowing up" when tracking sharply defined objects: some of the worst artifacts I ever saw was the rack of antlers on a stuffed moose that was on a float in a parade:

Moose Antlers
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 18:06   #31  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
It took about 3 seconds for the filter to start rendering, so the first 3 seconds of the video doesn't have the effect yet.

Comparing it to framerateConverter frame by frame, dmitrirender is also noticeably blurrier.

Yes, I would ignore the beginning ...

I wonder if there are any differences between full/registered version (I mean besides the overlay and time for it to start)

By "blurrier" - did you account for compression differences (you used x264 crf23 for dimitri)

BTW, are there any other options? (e.g. can you select different framerates instead of 60.0, quality vs. speed tradeoff, etc...)

For my purposes, I don't really care about a realtime playback filter . I'd rather have a better, higher quality / offline method, even if it's slower or requires some manual input / user guidance. But I'm always looking for something even slightly better for "automatic" interpolation too, because it can be used sometimes as a base layer or compositing fixes
Old 7th June 2018, 18:31   #32  |  Link
lansing

Quote:
By "blurrier" - did you account for compression differences (you used x264 crf23 for dimitri)

Oh you're right, the blurriness was caused by the compression, checking the grf in avspmod, the sharpness doesn't change.

Quote:
I wonder if there are any differences between full/registered version (I mean besides the overlay and time for it to start)

BTW, are there any other options? (e.g. can you select different framerates instead of 60.0, quality vs. speed tradeoff, etc...)
No idea, no options to set custom output frame rate. Maybe we can set it in directshowsource I don't know.
Old 7th June 2018, 20:31   #33  |  Link
poisondeathray

Are you sure? It does seem "blurrier" to me too ; I know I'm not looking at the crf23 version, but there seems to be more motion blur that you would expect with a plain crf23 encode. Perhaps some motion blur is added to smooth? (that and the re-rendering timing of all subframes)

I think your choice of screenshots was not quite representative, even talking about the arm wave only, let alone other types of motions. It looks pretty bad too in some frames (but you could argue mvtools2 looks worse in some frames, but better in some areas).

Here is dimitry render vs. twixtor with trackpoints. It's not a realtime playback solution; there is some user input into what to track, to help guide the motion estimation

But thanks for testing anyway.
Old 7th June 2018, 20:31   #34  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

In artifact areas, does it give better results than frame blending? Does it leave really ugly artifacts pass through? If it could be used as a backup method instead of frame blending, that could be cool.
MysteryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 20:35   #35  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryX View Post
In artifact areas, does it give better results than frame blending? Does it leave really ugly artifacts pass through? If it could be used as a backup method instead of frame blending, that could be cool.
But dimitryrender is a commercial plugin, not open source.

How would you include it in your FrameRateConverter plugin+script ?
Old 7th June 2018, 21:57   #36  |  Link
Motenai Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
so you can get the soap opera effect while watching movies
I think soap opera effect derive by cheap framerate/cadence conversion using something like convertfps, rather than motion interpolation conversion