Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Capturing Video

Old 29th March 2022, 08:26   #41  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansing View Post
Does the Hauppauge USB able to record VHS stereo? I have an anime VHS that stated on the cover to be "mono-stereo-Hi-fi", so I supposed it plays Hi-fi stereo? But Hauppauge was not able to record the stereo properly? I checked the recorded audio in Adobe Audition, the left and right channel are exactly the same.
AFAIK the Hauppauge records what it gets as input signals through the red and white audio RCA connectors, and according to how the VHS player and the capture software have been configured for the audio (mono, stereo, downmix ...). You can try by plugging/unplugging one of the connectors, flip red with white and check wheter you get different signals on the two.
Are you sure that the VHS tape is really 2 channel stereo? Also, not all VCR/VHS models support stereo.

Last edited by Sharc; 29th March 2022 at 08:39.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2022, 09:07   #42  |  Link
lollo2

Quote:
Does the Hauppauge USB able to record VHS stereo?
Yes, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVMp7yAtwYs&t=41s
Old 30th March 2022, 04:49   #43  |  Link
lansing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
AFAIK the Hauppauge records what it gets as input signals through the red and white audio RCA connectors, and according to how the VHS player and the capture software have been configured for the audio (mono, stereo, downmix ...). You can try by plugging/unplugging one of the connectors, flip red with white and check wheter you get different signals on the two.
Are you sure that the VHS tape is really 2 channel stereo? Also, not all VCR/VHS models support stereo.
I dug up my dvd version of the anime and it turned that its audio was also converted from mono, with both left and right channel the same. So Hauppauge was outputting correctly.
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2022, 14:52   #44  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Out of curiosity I ordered the bespoke Hauppauge USB-Live2 Stick and got it delivered today.

Downloaded the appropriate Hauppauge software package from their website,
hauppaugecapture1_2_39326.exe (85,4MB)

Tried installing on Win10Pro64, but it stalls:
"This software requires an additional 1550871192K bytes free on the C: drive to install.
Please remove any unnecessary files and try again."
My C: is a 4TB SSD with 2,8TB free...

Hauppauge USB-Live2 FAQ:
"USB-Live2 creates MPEG-2 files."
Technical specifiations:
"Video capture format: MPEG-2"

Hauppauge Capture FAQ:
"Hauppauge Capture supports H.264 recordings in the TS, MP4 and M2TS format.
The video quality of MP4 and TS files are the same.
If you are recording from a USB-Live 2, recordings are made in MPEG-2 format.

Q: "My video recordings look pixelated..."
A:..."Than start with Quality set to 11Mbits/sec.
This should give you very good quality.
You can continue to increase the Quality up to a maximum of 14Mbits/sec."

Sharc, what driver/s are you using ?
Automated Driver install via Windows Update failed on Win7U64 and Win10Pro64:
"Hauppauge device: No driver found"
I am tempted to go to driverscape and install an older driver from 2010...

Ah well, finally found a base driver 36075 which just was able to install on the Win7U64 system.
With an ancient window searching in vain on top of Win7's "install agree" window.
Power cycling now...

Last edited by Emulgator; 31st March 2022 at 15:21.
Emulgator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2022, 15:11   #45  |  Link
lollo2

I am using this driver: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oGx...ew?usp=sharing

Edit: a more recent here https://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/sup...dex.html#win10

Last edited by lollo2; 31st March 2022 at 15:14.
lollo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2022, 16:38   #46  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Got it working now, looks good !
VirtualDub64 43702 sees a Conexant CX23100.
From prerecorded VHS -> S-VHS -> S-Video -> 720x576x25i PAL-SD 4:2:2 8-bit UYVY (or YUY2) uncompressed 166Mb/s via USB3.0 Expresscard Adapter. Well worth the 40€ !
Pixel peeping and framedrops comes later, this Win7 system has a poor display.

Last edited by Emulgator; 1st April 2022 at 08:48.
Old 31st March 2022, 17:48   #47  |  Link
lollo2

No need for uncompressed, capture with VirtualDub 1.9.11 or AmarecTV 3.10 and HuffYUV

Edit: with VirtualDub and Windows 10 I experienced audio/video synch problems; never with AmarecTV. YMMV

Last edited by lollo2; 31st March 2022 at 17:53.
Old 31st March 2022, 19:17   #48  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emulgator View Post
Sharc, what driver/s are you using ?
driver10_6_0_119_36075.exe
You can download it from here (Scroll down to USB-live2)
https://www.hauppauge.com/pages/supp..._usblive2.html

You can also download and install the capture app version 39326 from here which will install the driver 6.0.119.36075
https://www.hauppauge.com/pages/supp..._usblive2.html

If your capture app (Vdub or AmarecTV for example) does not see the driver you may have to run the native mpeg2 'HauppaugeCapture.exe' just once. It may set something in the registry, I don't know. Then just close it and VirtualDub and AmarecTV should work with Huffyuv or any other codec just fine.

I am on Windows10, but I think it's the same with Windows7.

Hope it helps.

Edit:
Oh I just saw you got it working. Great.

Last edited by Sharc; 31st March 2022 at 19:23.
Old 1st April 2022, 09:13   #49  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Now it installed on Win10Pro64 4TB SSD too.
Solution was: Press "Ignore" if presented with:
Quote:
"This software requires an additional 1550871192K bytes free on the C: drive to install.
Please remove any unnecessary files and try again."
But: Although driver 36075 is installed now and reported as working,
still Virtual Dub can not connect to device on that system.

Investigating...
In not working Win10Pro64 USBTreeView sees it as 2xHID, Keyboard, and no Media
VirtualDub2 sees the CX23100 capture device, but can not connect.

Thanks for the advice with running HauppaugeCapture.exe just once.
Still I am reluctant to let anything beside the bare driver on that ystem, but I may have to do just that.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
In working Win7U64 with the bare 36075 driver install USBTreeView sees it as 2xHID, Keyboard, and Media.

USBTreeView reports Device Maximum Speed as High Speed, and indeed
HA USB-Live2 is run on USB2.0 High Speed even in USB3.0 Expresscard Adapter, no gains from running it on a USB3.0 port.

That was what I was worrying about: Will USB2.0 keep up enough bitrate ?
PAL-SD demands a pixelrate of 720x576x25= 10.368.000pix/s, 4:2:2 is 16bpp, so 165Mbps via the USB2.0 line
and any intermediate compression (may it be Huffyuv, UTVideo or in my case MagicYUV) would come after ingest.

Those 20,736MByte/s (plus audio, plus overhead) seem easy to keep if one looks at the pure USB2.0 specs,
but a good part of USB2.0 controllers did not handle that with steadiness under Windows.

Now VirtualDub capture from a known VHS tape with wrinkles at the beginning
Pana NV-HS950 (middle-ground field-based TBC, won't overcorrect and freeze line batches as AG-7750):
-> S-Video -> HA USB-Live2: In 5 min 0 frames dropped, but 12 frames inserted.
4:2:2 in 8bit for 40 bucks, good to go !

Activating audio preview in VD will lead to framedrops, but heck, that is not the fault of the capturing device,
even BM offer no audio preview maybe because they did not solve that either,
or it is considered unsolvable within Windows, so no show-stopper.

So in cheap projects finally no need anymore to sacrifice any chroma while having to go 4:2:0 DV-AVI
and for 10bit 4:2:2 SD and HD I keep on using BM Intensity Shuttle.

Thanks for making me aware of this solution !

Last edited by Emulgator; 1st April 2022 at 10:36.
Old 1st April 2022, 11:22   #50  |  Link
lollo2

Quote:
Will USB2.0 keep up enough bitrate ?
Yes. I never had bandwidth problem with SD. For tapes in good condition, 0 dropped frames, 0 inserted frames.

Quote:
for 10bit 4:2:2 SD I keep on using BM Intensity Shuttle
If you have time, could you post a comparison (2 separate videos) of the same tape captured at 8-bit 4:2:2 YUV with Hauppauge and at 10-bit 4:2:2 with BM Intensity Shuttle? In my experiments I have seen no improvement using 10-bit capture, but it will be nice to have more data

Last edited by lollo2; 1st April 2022 at 11:25.
Old 1st April 2022, 19:28   #51  |  Link
lansing

My TBC mixer finally arrived after 9 days of shipping, lol, finally I can do some test.

I ended up getting a Panasonic WJ-AVE5 mixer because the Videonics MX-1 I first brought was broken, with the outputting video shifting about 10 pixel to the left and all control buttons malfunctioning.

Testing on my Japanese VHS anime, the tbc mixer seems pretty good, all small jittering gone as well as those horizontal color streak..

non-tbc

tbc

I feel like the mixer also did some auto white balancing internally?

One thing I don't understand though is the quality difference between composite and s-video output on the default blue screen. With s-video out, for some reason there is a frequency of square pattern casted on top of the frame, however there is none on the composite out.

composite

s-video

mixer
Old 1st April 2022, 21:46   #52  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
I feel like the mixer also did some auto white balancing internally?
This is possible, yes. Auto white, level shifts, AGC .....
Quote:
One thing I don't understand though is the quality difference between composite and s-video output on the default blue screen. With s-video out, for some reason there is a frequency of square pattern casted on top of the frame, however there is none on the composite out.
I am not sure if I understand your current system configuration correctly, but the dots (dotcrawl or hanging dots) are probably remnants from imperfect luma/chroma separation depending on the comb filter which is ON or OFF somewhere along your signal path. There is probably a setting for switching it ON or OFF. Laserdisc is natively composite and needs to have an Y/C filter in order to provide an S-video signal. These filters are however never perfect.
Old 2nd April 2022, 00:35   #53  |  Link
lansing

My VCR is a JVC HR-S4800U, with "picture mode" set to "EDIT" when capturing.

I don't really see any dot crawl on my VHS playback, so I guess that's just an issue with the blue screen. Switching from composite to s-video did fix the issue of artifact popping up on overexposed color, so that means the s-video is doing its work.

The TBC doesn't seems to do much though on my 4th generation VHS copy.
Old 2nd April 2022, 03:43   #54  |  Link
lansing

Test capture for 8 minutes with AmaRecTV in Lagarith lossless, 0 drop frames, no chroma ghosting, the mixer seems pretty good.

Now questions about the video and audio driver settings, I'm trying to capture Japanese vhs, do I choose NTSC_M or NTSC_M_J? For the audio setting, how do I determine the optimal volume to record the audio?
Old 2nd April 2022, 07:31   #55  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
My VCR is a JVC HR-S4800U, with "picture mode" set to "EDIT" when capturing.....
Sorry about my confusion regarding your setup and mentioning laserdisc. I had another discussion in mind.
Old 2nd April 2022, 07:53   #56  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Now questions about the video and audio driver settings, I'm trying to capture Japanese vhs, do I choose NTSC_M or NTSC_M_J?
https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php...86&postcount=2
Quote:
For the audio setting, how do I determine the optimal volume to record the audio?
In VirtualDub2 you can display the audio signal and check if it clips, for example:
View->Audio display
The level can be adjusted in Windows' sound settings (details depending on Windows version)
Old 2nd April 2022, 09:08   #57  |  Link
lansing

Quote:
Does that mean capturing in NTSC_M_J will be darker?
Old 2nd April 2022, 13:59   #58  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Does that mean capturing in NTSC_M_J will be darker?
Not necessarily. I would do some test captures of dark and bright scenes including pictures with high brightness changes within the picture. Then inspect the capture with avisynth's 'histogram("classic")' or 'VideoScope' and apply corrections as appropriate (eg. using Levels() and/or tweak() in avisynth). Or upload a captured sample and collect comments from forum members.

About the NTSC pedestal you may want to read here:
http://www.glennchan.info/articles/t...5IREsetup.html

Last edited by Sharc; 2nd April 2022 at 14:13.
Old 4th April 2022, 03:47   #59  |  Link
lansing

Quote:
Not necessarily. I would do some test captures of dark and bright scenes including pictures with high brightness changes within the picture. Then inspect the capture with avisynth's 'histogram("classic")' or 'VideoScope' and apply corrections as appropriate (eg. using Levels() and/or tweak() in avisynth). Or upload a captured sample and collect comments from forum members.

About the NTSC pedestal you may want to read here:
http://www.glennchan.info/articles/t...5IREsetup.html
The article is a little bit confusing, what I got is basically for VHS capture we'll need the black level to be at 16 on the waveform and white level at 235.

I tested with both options and they do have differences. For my Japanese tape, using NTSC_M gets a darker video. Waveform showing NTSC_M dark level at 0 while NTSC_M_J at 16 and highlight being the same. So NTSC_M_J is the correct option.
Old 4th April 2022, 06:04   #60  |  Link
lansing

Regarding the recording volume, I have checked several old anime dvd I have, all their volume sit at -12 db on the waveform. Don't know why they go this low but I'll just follows.

As for the video proc-amp in Hauppauge's device setting, is it the same thing as to running color correction filters in the post? My anime has blowout red that needs fixing, so I want to know the position of the device's proc-amp in the processing chain.

Tags
capture card, vhs capture