Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 2nd September 2018, 18:46   #81  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

014 isn't linked against that library and wouldn't create such a report anyway.

If there is no report, the crash doesn't happen under the control of the program.

I honestly don't know what else to try here.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2018, 18:52   #82  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

But wasn't 014 the one in which you reverted a change that could be associated with this issue? Currently I have tried only adding files as a source and added jobs to queue and it has worked smoothly and doesn't cause any OS sluggishness. The next step will be muxing and then torturing the GUI.
Old 2nd September 2018, 19:21   #83  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

In 016 the change is still reverted, just with the Dr. MinGW library linked & invoked. So if 016 still crashes, that aforementioned change isn't the culprit.

Old 2nd September 2018, 19:28   #84  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Ah, okay. I think I'll try v25 then, and work my way up from there with those intermediate builds towards v26. Of course, I could find this in v25 as well because it's been quite a long time since I did this kind of work.
Old 5th September 2018, 02:23   #85  |  Link
dade49

Hello Mosu, I have a DTS-HD MA 5.1 track (24 bit) with dialnorm on both the master and the embedded core track. I am using the MkvToolNix GUI to build an mkv from the source and using the option to remove dialog normalization from the track. The resulting file has the dialnorm removed from the core track, but it remains on the master track. Is there a way to remove it from both? Is this an issue that you're aware of? I'm happy to provide a sample if you need it. Thank you for all of your hard work.
dade49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2018, 12:14   #86  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by dade49 View Post
Hello Mosu, I have a DTS-HD MA 5.1 track (24 bit) with dialnorm on both the master and the embedded core track.
I'm not aware of such a problem. Please open a new issue for it and upload a sample file.

Old 8th September 2018, 12:16   #87  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
Ah, okay. I think I'll try v25 then, and work my way up from there with those intermediate builds towards v26. Of course, I could find this in v25 as well because it's been quite a long time since I did this kind of work.
One thing i did change between releases 25 and 26 was that I updated all of the libraries used by MKVToolNix, specially Qt from 5.10.1 to 5.11.1. Here is a new build of the same code base (016-g78d7708b3) as before, but compiled against the older set of libraries, the one v25 was compiled against. Please give this build a try, too. Thanks.

Old 8th September 2018, 14:56   #88  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
One thing i did change between releases 25 and 26 was that I updated all of the libraries used by MKVToolNix, specially Qt from 5.10.1 to 5.11.1. Here is a new build of the same code base (016-g78d7708b3) as before, but compiled against the older set of libraries, the one v25 was compiled against. Please give this build a try, too. Thanks.
Thank you, I've been slowly resuming the work today. I'll try to make it crash over the weekend
Old 9th September 2018, 20:03   #89  |  Link
zn

Is it possible to set >99 chapters using "simple chapter format", or it only possible with XML based chapter format?

Last edited by zn; 9th September 2018 at 20:06.
zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2018, 20:16   #90  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

I haven't actually tried it, but the code uses regular expressions for matching the lines, and the number part is a simple "\d+" — meaning "one or more digits". Meaning "CHAPTER01" should work, as should "CHAPTER1", "CHAPTER0001" or "CHAPTER12345".

Old 9th September 2018, 20:53   #91  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

The OGM specs allows 1000 chapters indexed from 000 up to 999.
But Mosu's Chapter Editor and my chapterEditor supports more chapters.
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2018, 18:30   #92  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
Thank you, I've been slowly resuming the work today. I'll try to make it crash over the weekend
The problem has been fixed. A crucial piece of information was contributed over on GitLab: it doesn't depend on the files; simply switched between the tools suffices. With that I was able to reproduce it, track it to a font resource memory leak introduced after v25, and fix it. A new, fixed build is available here.

Old 11th September 2018, 18:47   #93  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Congratulations This was a tough one, fortunately others were able to contribute as well.
Old 14th September 2018, 01:22   #94  |  Link
Megalith

Maybe this is related to the above issue (which has been fixed), but I have run into a couple of instances in which MKVToolNix GUI will disappear in the middle of a job, as if the program was closed. Task Manager will show that the program is still running, however.
Megalith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2018, 01:38   #95  |  Link
mkver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post
Maybe this is related to the above issue (which has been fixed), but I have run into a couple of instances in which MKVToolNix GUI will disappear in the middle of a job, as if the program was closed. Task Manager will show that the program is still running, however.
1. Just to be sure: You are running the new, patched version, not the 26.0 release version?
2. What exactly does Task Manager show? Is it mkvmerge.exe running or is it mkvtoolnix-gui.exe? If you started a job from the GUI, then you should have a mkvmerge.exe process and a mkvtoolnix-gui.exe process running at the same time. mkvmerge.exe ends automatically after the completion of the job, so if the GUI crashes during a job you should still have a MKVToolNix related process running (namely mkvmerge.exe), but it shouldn't be mkvtoolnix-gui.exe.

If the answer to 1. is yes and if it's really mkvtoolnix-gui.exe that is running after the GUI crashed, you should open a ticket on gitlab.
mkver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2018, 01:39   #96  |  Link
Megalith

I tried the patched version and have not run into the issue so far, so I assume all is good now.
Megalith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2018, 09:13   #97  |  Link
Selur

Using:
rav1e: 0.1.0
mkvmerge: v26.0.0
ffmpeg: version N-91949-g6304268e39
I aimed do the following:
a. convert input to av1, by decoding to yuv420p using ffmpeg, piping to and encoding with rav1e
Code:
ffmpeg -y -loglevel fatal -threads 8 -i "F:\TestClips&Co\files\test.avi" -map 0:0 -an -sn   -vf zscale=rangein=tv:range=tv -pix_fmt yuv420p -vsync 0  -f yuv4mpegpipe - | rav1e   --tune Psychovisual - -o "E:\Output\test.ivf"
.ivf output plays fine in latest MPC-HC so I assume the file is okay
b. remuxing to mkv using mkvmerge:
Code:
mkvmerge --ui-language en -o "E:\Output\test.mkv" -d 0 --default-track 0:yes --default-duration 0:25/1fps --aspect-ratio-factor 0:1/1 --engage enable_av1 --no-chapters --compression -1:none --forced-track 0:yes --no-audio --no-subtitles "E:\Output\test.ivf"
but that creates 0 byte file and outputs:
Code:
mkvmerge v26.0.0 ('In The Game') 64-bit
'E:\Output\test.ivf': Using the demultiplexer for the format 'IVF (AV1, VP8, VP9)'.
'E:\Output\test.ivf' track 0: Using the output module for the format 'AV1'.
The file 'E:\Output\test.mkv' has been opened for writing.
Error: An exception occurred when writing the destination file. The drive may be full. Exception details: end of file error; No error
Still got 1.3 TB free on that drive.

To be sure this isn't a rav1e problem I also used aomenc for encoding, but got the same error.
(Same problem with: mkvtoolnix-64-bit-26.0.0-revision-021-g39f37fa93-01789)

-> Since the av1 support is still experimental, is there any progress there? (or did I mess up somewhere with the muxing call?)

Cu Selur

Ps.: uploaded the test.ivf to my GoogleDrive.
Old 22nd September 2018, 09:45   #98  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

mkvmerge's AV1 support isn't usable yet. Neither does it conform to the finalized AV1 bitstream spec, nor had the AV1-in-Matroska specs been finalized when I last worked on that code (which was several weeks ago).

Old 22nd September 2018, 19:34   #99  |  Link
Selur

Okay, thanks for the info. Hoped there would have been some progress,..
Old 26th September 2018, 20:02   #100  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

MKVToolNix v27.0.0 released

I've just released MKVToolNix v27.0.0. This release is smallish but important due to two bug fixes. The first is an annoying crash easily triggered on Windows simply by using the program for a while. The second is indubitably more important: mkvmerge was corrupting E-AC-3 frames when the "dialog normalization gain removal" functionality was used.

Here are the usual links: the MKVToolNix home page, the Windows installer/portable version & macOS DMG & Linux AppImage and the source code.

The Windows and macOS binaries as well as the Linux AppImage are available already. The other Linux binaries are still being built and will be available of the course of the next couple of hours.

Here are the NEWS since the previous release:

Quote:
# Version 27.0.0 "Metropolis" 2018-09-26

## New features and enhancements

* mkvmerge: chapters: the timestamps of chapters read from containers or from chapter files can be adjusted (multiplication and addition) with the new `--chapter-sync` option or using the special track ID `-2` for the existing `--sync` option. Part of the implementation of #2358.
* MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: adjusted & added controls for mkvmerge's new feature of being able to adjust chapter timestamps. Part of the implementation of #2358.
* MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: the GUI can now ask for confirmation when the user is about to create a file that won't contain audio tracks. It does this by default if at least one source file contains an audio track. Implements #2380.

## Bug fixes

* mkvmerge: AC-3: dialog normalization gain removal was corrupting E-AC-3 frames irreversibly by writing checksums in places where they didn't belong. Additionally only the first E-AC-3 frame in a Matroska was processed but not additional dependent frames in the same block. Fixes #2386.
* MKVToolNix GUI: fixed a leak of Windows font resources leading to a general slowdown and subsequent crash. Fixes #2372.
Have fun

Tags
matroska