Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 12th June 2020, 07:16   #441  |  Link
gpower2
gMKVExtractGUI author

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormento View Post
@gpower2

Sometimes I have to extract the same tracks from different files, where the only thing that changes is the file name.

In the mean time that you find a solution, could you expose the command line, such as mkvtoolnix-gui.exe does?

So I can create batch file, while you are thinking to how to automatize that.
Hi @tormento!

Since gMKVExtractGUI supports batch mode, I can't see the reason to expose the command line. For your scenario, you can add multiple files from different folders and use the context menu (right-click) and select the same track at once. You can even add jobs and run them at a later time as a batch.

To cut a long story short, current design in gMKVExtractGUI calculates the command line just before it executes it, so it's not easy to expose that beforehand wihout rewriting a significant portion of the current codebase.

If you can elaborate on your scenario, perhaps I can provide with a new functionality or improve the existing ones.

Thank you very much for your feedback!
gpower2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2020, 18:07   #442  |  Link
Perenista

This program is not extracting the audio properly. It's limiting a 14 h 57 min file into 2h31m54s.

This is the file I am talking about:
https://pastebin.com/MGHTc669

Also, check what I said here about it:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=175593&page=20

The entire 14h Matroska file is OK... I can listen to the entire audio track. It's just that I can't extract as WAV 100%. Why is it limiting to 2 hours?

EDIT: Trying this now: https://www.easytechguides.com/extra...rom-video.html

Last edited by Perenista; 12th June 2020 at 20:58.
Perenista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2020, 18:24   #443  |  Link
stax76

Maybe it has something to do with the wav format:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV#Limitations

I suggest to use ffmpeg and W64 format.

Last edited by stax76; 12th June 2020 at 18:28.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2020, 21:09   #444  |  Link
Perenista

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
Maybe it has something to do with the wav format:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV#Limitations

I suggest to use ffmpeg and W64 format.
It worked. But I tried with Audacity first, as instructed in this site:

https://www.easytechguides.com/extra...rom-video.html

Was this the right option? I selected the first, Signed 16 bit PCM.

This is the MediaINFO from the resulted W64 file:

https://pastebin.com/L5nEiBqz

With ffmpeg this site only instructed me to use this command:

ffmpeg -i video.mkv -f w64 -ab 384000 -vn audio.w64

I'll assume only this is needed, right? 384000 was a figure I was thinking about if I wanted to convert to AAC (FDK).

In this case the original audio track had a bitrate of 1 536 kb/s. So the command line, I guess, it would look like this:

ffmpeg -i video.mkv -f w64 -ab 1536000 -vn audio.w64
Old 20th September 2020, 23:15   #445  |  Link
fireattack

Hi, I want to report a bug/inconsistency in the GUI.

When loading an input file, it shows two "delays" for any track.

According to https://sourceforge.net/p/gmkvextrac...read/ee13f7e1/ the first delay is relative to 0 timestamp and the second one is relative to the video.

The original comment only mentions audio track, so what about the video track?
Is the second delay still relative to the video (itself), or to the audio?

Either way, it doesn't seem to match with the behavior.

I made two videos to test: one with audio delayed for 2sec, one with video delayed for 2sec.

The first one (audio delay):

The video's second delay says "0ms", so it means it's NOT delay relative to audio, because otherwise it would be "-1978ms".

The second one (video delay):

Now, here video's second delay says "2000 ms", which means it's indeed relative to the audio. This is inconsistent with example 1.

Summary:

In both cases, the first delay of video track is consistently shows the delay relative to 0 timestamp.
In both cases, the first delay of audio track is consistently shows the delay relative to 0 timestamp.
In both cases, the second delay of audio track is consistently shows the delay relative to the video track.

However, the second delay of video track is inconsistent, it shows the delay relative to the audio in one, but not in another (it is not consistently relative to the video, either.)

Last edited by fireattack; 20th September 2020 at 23:22.
fireattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2020, 01:35   #446  |  Link
rmlazzari

First of all, thank for the program, I use it for years. Second, please excuse if this is a newbie question but, well...

Now the request: recently I migrated from Windows to Linux Mint so I'd like to install this GUI under my new OS. I already have MKVToolnix and MKVToolnix-gui because the Mint's Application Manager have options for them. As I'm not familiar with bits & bytes, can somebody please teach me how to install MKVExtractGUI without the App Manager?

(I know how to add a repository and typing some commands in Terminal like apt-get, apt-update etc... no much more beyond that. I'm using two versions of Mint, MATE in the notebook and Cinnamon in the desktop. If you need more information about my sets or something else, please ask me. Thank you.)
rmlazzari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2020, 20:35   #447  |  Link
jones1913
random user

@rmlazzari
You need the 'mono' framework installed to run .net applications on Linux. I think the package name is 'mono-complete' on Ubuntu based distributions.
After that you can run it with
Code:
$ mono /path/to/gMKVExtractGUI.exe
But .net applications sometimes look artifical or broken on Linux, on hi-dpi displays mostly unusable.

Alternatives are:
https://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?id=1508741
(post is in french but installation instructions are easy to spot)

or:
https://www.videohelp.com/software/Inviska-MKV-Extract
(seems abandoned, developers website is dead)
Old 1st October 2020, 22:19   #448  |  Link
rmlazzari

Thank you, jones1913. Following your advices, I installed MKV Extractor Qt, mainly because it seems to be created natively for Linux and it's not an abandoned project.
It's working fine here.
rmlazzari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2020, 18:18   #449  |  Link
gpower2
gMKVExtractGUI author

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireattack View Post
Hi, I want to report a bug/inconsistency in the GUI.

When loading an input file, it shows two "delays" for any track.

According to https://sourceforge.net/p/gmkvextrac...read/ee13f7e1/ the first delay is relative to 0 timestamp and the second one is relative to the video.

The original comment only mentions audio track, so what about the video track?
Is the second delay still relative to the video (itself), or to the audio?

Either way, it doesn't seem to match with the behavior.

I made two videos to test: one with audio delayed for 2sec, one with video delayed for 2sec.

The first one (audio delay):

The video's second delay says "0ms", so it means it's NOT delay relative to audio, because otherwise it would be "-1978ms".

The second one (video delay):

Now, here video's second delay says "2000 ms", which means it's indeed relative to the audio. This is inconsistent with example 1.

Summary:

In both cases, the first delay of video track is consistently shows the delay relative to 0 timestamp.
In both cases, the first delay of audio track is consistently shows the delay relative to 0 timestamp.
In both cases, the second delay of audio track is consistently shows the delay relative to the video track.

However, the second delay of video track is inconsistent, it shows the delay relative to the audio in one, but not in another (it is not consistently relative to the video, either.)
@fireattack
So sorry for the late reply, too much work IRL!
Actually the second delay in the video track will always be the same with the first one, you are right and I should refrain from showing 2 delays for the video tracks.
There is no video delay relative to the audio, since that is not the way MKVToolnix works, at least AFAIK.
I'll check if I can make this fix.
Thanks for your feedback!

@rmlazzari
I'm not much of a Linux guy myself, like @jones1913 said, it should work out of the box if you have the mono framework installed (I think Ubuntu comes with it preinstalled).
So, you just download the archive from the DL link, and you run the ".exe" file like you would do in Windows.
If mono is installed, it should run without much fuss!
P.S.
I would really like your feedback if you find the time to do this test, thank you in advance!
Old 18th December 2020, 19:13   #450  |  Link
Perenista

I am having problems with a MKV... this one was ripped from a DVD I own, and with help from MAKEMKV. Later I did a few changes using MKVTOOLNIX, added and extracted a few files.

Here's the thing: if I wanted to extract subtitles, then gMKVExtractGUI would have worked. But if I ask the program to extract any audio file, this is the end result:

https://i.postimg.cc/fL85PQs8/XAS.png

What is more odd is the fact any other file I have here works just fine with gMKVExtractGUI. And I also believe gMKVExtractGUI WAS INDEED working before, to extract audio streams from this problematic MKV.

What really happened here? Was the file somehow corrupted, something happened that made it broke?

When we try to rip this disc for the 1st time this is what MAKEMKV tells us:

https://pastebin.com/WvZAsDzi

Oddly, as you can see from below, if I try to extract the audio track from the original MKV created by MAKEMKV, it will work:

https://i.postimg.cc/QMTHPQrw/SUP.png

So what went wrong here? Now if I try to extract ANY audio track with gMKVExtractGUI it will fail.
Old 19th December 2020, 15:46   #451  |  Link
gpower2
gMKVExtractGUI author

Hi Perenista!

The open file error that you get means that mkvtoolnix.exe couldn't create the new file for the audio.

Seeing the filepath, I believe that you hit the filesystem limitation of 255 characters in path.

Can you try to extract it in a folder with less characters instead of your desktop? For example try to extract it to a "C:\temp" folder and see if this is indeed your problem.
Old 19th December 2020, 17:33   #452  |  Link
Perenista

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpower2 View Post
Hi Perenista!

The open file error that you get means that mkvtoolnix.exe couldn't create the new file for the audio.

Seeing the filepath, I believe that you hit the filesystem limitation of 255 characters in path.

Can you try to extract it in a folder with less characters instead of your desktop? For example try to extract it to a "C:\temp" folder and see if this is indeed your problem.
That's not the case. I renamed the problematic file to 1.MKV and put in C:\.

Still...

MAKEMKV has been having a host of issues with several discs lately *. I'll try to rip this thing again and repeat the entire process that lead me to having this Matroska with all these same tracks.

* https://makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21079

What I don't get it is why gMKVExtractGUI can perfectly extract an audio track (after MAKEMKV rips the DVD FOLDER) and then after a few editions, it refuses to do that.

But...

It still can extract subtitles from this now broken file (broken if I wanted to get something inside it, since now it's refusing to extract).

EDIT: The problem has been fixed! I suspected the fact I placed in C:\ was also causing another issue (besides the one you mentioned), then I put the 1.mkv in C:\temp folder, since at C:\ it asked for admin permission.

Inside the C:\temp FOLDER I was then able to extract any audio stream!

https://i.postimg.cc/K85zLgWL/PROBLEMFIXED.png

Last edited by Perenista; 19th December 2020 at 17:41.
Old 19th December 2020, 20:06   #453  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Just an addition: MKVToolNix v50 and newer supports file/path names longer than 260 characters on Windows 10 if Windows 10's own support for long paths is turned on.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2021, 15:54   #454  |  Link
Pulp Catalyst

Can this program remux, i've been i found MKV optimizer https://www.videohelp.com/software/MKV-Optimizer

it works great for what i need, it quickly removes all steams from files i don't need, improving the reliability of my video converter a lot (ripbotx264)

however mkv optimizer crashes quite often, doesn't like network drives, and just basically is unstable for me

gMKVExtractGUI comes really close to features, but doesn't offer remux option?

is this something that could be added, as it would be just what i need...

i know i can use mkvtoolnix, but it doesn't have the fast default options that i need

for example i need to keep only ENG streams, and only keep DTS track ENG, the rest i want removed. mkvtoolnix wasn't really designed for this quick default process from what i can see. and really has few options for processing multiple/batch files that have different streams. mkvoptimizer is great for this, but crashes all the time, and i can't find the support page to contact developer for help

Last edited by Pulp Catalyst; 16th January 2021 at 15:57.
Pulp Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2021, 18:31   #455  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulp Catalyst View Post
for example i need to keep only ENG streams, and only keep DTS track ENG, the rest i want removed. mkvtoolnix wasn't really designed for this quick default process from what i can see.
Quite the opposite. It was designed to be automatable from other applications with very little effort. The basic three-step process is:
  1. Let mkvmerge analyze your source file and output what it finds as a JSON document. JSON was chosen as there are JSON parsers out there for every programming language under the sun. You don't have to create your own parser, just use one that's available. The command to do so is "mkvmerge --identification-format json --identify yourfile.ext" or its shortcut "mkvmerge -J yourfile.ext".
  2. Loop over the information found in the JSON document and pick the track IDs for tracks you want to keep. That's easy enough; for each track the JSON document contains its ID, its type (audio/video/subtitles), its codec, its language and a lot of other information.
  3. Construct a new command line (better: a JSON option file) based on the track IDs gathered in step 2 and run mkvmerge with it.

Remember that mkvmerge's default is to copy everything safe for stuff you tell it not to copy. If your process is to solely remove all audio tracks that aren't DTS in English, you'll only need to collect all track IDs for English DTS audio tracks, add "--atracks <theIDs>" and that's it.

Sure, mkvmerge doesn't contain command line options for all possible scenarios under the sun, but it contains something much more important: command line options for each and every facet of a Matroska file. You have a lot of fine-grained control. Bundled with standards-based file formats (JSON both for identification output and for option files) makes interfacing with it rather straight forward, from whatever platform you're running on.

Of course you're completely free to disagree with my opinion here, and you certainly don't have to use it the process described above is to… whatever for you.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2021, 19:06   #456  |  Link
Pulp Catalyst

i have no idea what just said LOL

your seriously overestimating my abilities.

i think mkv optimizer does all this behind the scenes perhaps, however the moment i load the program i import the files, and it's ready to go.

it also has the ability to delete source files after it processed.

Last edited by Pulp Catalyst; 16th January 2021 at 19:40.
Pulp Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2021, 00:28   #457  |  Link
Asmodian

This project is significant as the program used by many GUIs like that. I do find it very easy to mux a new file while replacing the audio tracks using the GUI but it obviously isn't designed for advanced batch processing so it does get tedious if I want to do the same thing to several files. It is a GUI that supports the more advanced mkv features well, but not simple batch processing. The two use cases are difficult to merge well and command line tools are great for batch processing.

For advanced batch processing I go into python.
Old 28th January 2022, 02:35   #458  |  Link
darksen

Please add support for the relatively newly supported language codes, I'm demuxing an es-419 audio track and the app names it with only ES.
darksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2022, 12:22   #459  |  Link
gpower2
gMKVExtractGUI author

That's a nice suggestion @darksen!

I will "play" a bit with it and hopefully come up with a new version soon, thanks for the feedback!
Old 29th January 2022, 15:29   #460  |  Link
gpower2
gMKVExtractGUI author

gMKVExtractGUI v2.6.0

Hey people!
Wow, it's been 2 years since the last release and what years those were...
Hopefully 2022 will be a come back year for most of us, so I'll make a small start by a fresh new release.

Main attraction is the support for the new Language IETF element, thanks agan @darksen for the request!

Also, a lot of small optimizations here and there under the hood, hopefully they didn't break anything

As always, enjoy!

Download link:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gmk....0.7z/download

Changelog

v2.6.0
  • Add support for new element "Language IETF"
  • Minor code optimizations/modernization

Tags
extractor, gmkvextractgui, matroska, mkv, mkv extract, mkvextract, mkvextractgui