Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 26th February 2014, 08:00   #21  |  Link
gpower2
gMKVExtractGUI author

Well, mkvextract does not support remuxing the tracks to matroska container, but with the help of mkvmerge, I believe something like that could be possible.

It sounds like a nice feature, so I'll do my research and I'll come back to you for my findings. Thanks for the feedback!
gpower2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2014, 10:47   #22  |  Link
[ReX]

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpower2 View Post
Hmm, I never thought of checking mkvmerge for command line parameters to identify mkv properties!
Still, isn't that a limitation/bug on mkvinfo's side? Shouldn't we open a ticket to MkvToolnix's bug tracker?

Anyways, I will check that option too, maybe I'll put a setting to select which road you want to take. Thanks [ReX]!
That's actually the right way to do it, it's what mmg does (hence the name of the command line argument).
It's not actually a bug, there's a FAQ entry for the mkvinfo behavior.
[ReX] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2014, 10:55   #23  |  Link
gpower2
gMKVExtractGUI author

Wow, you were right on the spot [ReX]!
Thanks for clarifying this, I'll make the change as soon as I can find some free time!
Old 1st March 2014, 09:58   #24  |  Link
aMvEL

Nice program, gpower2. I've been using mkvextractgui-2 the last years and this seems to be more robust.

I was wondering if you would concider implementing the ability to open mkv files with gmkvextractgui, like right click mkv-file and open with.
As of now it just opens the program but doesn't load the mkv-file like mkvextractgui-2 (and mkvcleaver for that matter), does.
aMvEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2014, 15:39   #25  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater

Thanks for the program! I noticed 3 problems with it so far:

- Old versions of mkvtoolnix don't seem to work. 5.0.1 for example, complaining about more than one input file.
- The progress bar stays at 0% all the time, at least when extracting only one subtitle track for a given mkv file.
- The log seems to be in the system's locale, not in english.

Everything else working as expected
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
STaRGaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014, 07:33   #26  |  Link
lansing

I think you need to include a ini file to remember all the settings. I'm using portable version of mkvtoolnix and every time I run the program I need to point to the folder again.
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2014, 09:18   #27  |  Link
Dark Eiri

Loving your app! May I suggest the extension filter on the open file dialog to include .mkv, .mka and .webm simultaneously instead of separatedly?
Dark Eiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2014, 13:17   #28  |  Link
gpower2
gMKVExtractGUI author

Thank you all for your kind words and support!
I finally found some time to implement most of the changes you guys requested, but Sourceforge is having some problems with file uploading, so I don't know when v1.3 will be officially out...
Hopefully sometime today!

In any case, I will update the first post and this one, so just be a little more patient!
Old 3rd March 2014, 15:13   #29  |  Link
gpower2
gMKVExtractGUI author

Sourceforge finally fixed their issues and new version is up!
First post is updated, so you can now grab the new version!

I am waiting for your feedback!
Old 3rd March 2014, 15:39   #30  |  Link
lansing

with 1.3, I'm getting an error "the process cannot access the ini because it is being used by another process" in program startup.
Old 3rd March 2014, 16:15   #31  |  Link
aMvEL

Thank you for opening for CLI, gpower2!
This has now completely replaced mkvextractgui-2 for me
aMvEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2014, 16:21   #32  |  Link
gpower2
gMKVExtractGUI author

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansing View Post
with 1.3, I'm getting an error "the process cannot access the ini because it is being used by another process" in program startup.
It is quite weird for you to get such a message. Perhaps some antivirus issue or maybe folder permissions?
Old 3rd March 2014, 16:45   #33  |  Link
lansing

Quote:
It is quite weird for you to get such a message. Perhaps some antivirus issue or maybe folder permissions?
I have moved the folder to desktop but still got the same dummy error. But I was still able to delete that ini file while the program was running.

And some other bugs I found, before I created the ini path by pointing to the mkvtoolnix folder, when I run the program and hit extract tags or extract cue or the extract tracks button, it will return a "xx extracted successfully" message
Old 3rd March 2014, 16:54   #34  |  Link
gpower2
gMKVExtractGUI author

Quote:
I have moved the folder to desktop but still got the same dummy error. But I was still able to delete that ini file while the program was running.
The program doesn't try to do anything complicated, it just checks for the existence of the ini file, opens it, reads it and closes it.
I honestly can't do much without further information...

Quote:
And some other bugs I found, before I created the ini path by pointing to the mkvtoolnix folder, when I run the program and hit extract tags or extract cue or the extract tracks button, it will return a "xx extracted successfully" message
That's me being lazy and omitting basic checks... ops:
I must add them for the next version!

Thanks again for all your feedback!
Old 5th March 2014, 22:00   #35  |  Link
gpower2
gMKVExtractGUI author

Quote:
Could you please check if this build solves the issue for you?
http://tools.animeclipse.com/gmkvext...tGUI.v1.3.b.7z
Old 6th March 2014, 00:53   #36  |  Link
lansing

Quote:
Could you please check if this build solves the issue for you?
http://tools.animeclipse.com/gmkvext...tGUI.v1.3.b.7z
yes it's fixed.

Another bug I found, after dragging a random file to the input field, an error message pop up like it suppose to, but after I click ok to confirm it, the file was still in the input field.
Old 8th March 2014, 13:45   #37  |  Link
gpower2
gMKVExtractGUI author

I just uploaded v1.3.1!
It is mostly a bug fix version, you can find detailed changelog in the post.

@lansing
I believe most, if not all, of the bugs you reported have been fixed in this version. Thanks for your feedback so far!

@rsotome
I reconsidered adding a re-muxing option, and I think that it is meaningless, since MkvMerge GUI does exactly what you ask.

Hopefully when v1.4 comes, it will include the batch feature that most of you requested. Thank you all for your support!
Old 10th March 2014, 03:03   #38  |  Link
lansing

Thanks for the fixes.

Another bug I found, the output directory field right now can take in whatever thing I dragged into it.

And I think the mkvtoolnix directory field shouldn't be in the main window gui, because it's not part of the common tasks with the program and we're setting it only once.
Old 10th March 2014, 03:50   #39  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
And I think the mkvtoolnix directory field shouldn't be in the main window gui, because it's not part of the common tasks with the program and we're setting it only once.
Agreed. I've only played around with gMKVExtractGUI and already I've changed the output location using the mkvtoolnix location field by mistake.
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but a default output directory might be nice, rather than it changing for every opened file.

I've not played with gMKVExtractGUI for long and not read through this thread, but I'm curious, can gMKVExtractGUI do anything MKVCleaver can't? Not that the existence of MKVCleaver should stop the development of any new extraction programs, but especially given it can batch extract, it's set a fairly high standard in terms of usability.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2014, 09:19   #40  |  Link
gpower2
gMKVExtractGUI author

Quote:
Another bug I found, the output directory field right now can take in whatever thing I dragged into it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
Agreed. I've only played around with gMKVExtractGUI and already I've changed the output location using the mkvtoolnix location field by mistake.
Hmm, you are right, I never bothered to check it properly...

Quote:
Well, I guess that's just a matter of opinion. I wanted to have all the options visible and accessible at one place, so that the user doesn't need to search for hidden options or menus.
I guess that may seem odd for more advanced users, but I believe from personal experience, that less experienced users prefer those kind of GUIs.

Quote:
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but a default output directory might be nice, rather than it changing for every opened file.
That's indeed a valid request! I will look into it!

Quote:
I've not played with gMKVExtractGUI for long and not read through this thread, but I'm curious, can gMKVExtractGUI do anything MKVCleaver can't? Not that the existence of MKVCleaver should stop the development of any new extraction programs, but especially given it can batch extract, it's set a fairly high standard in terms of usability.
I wrote this program to be as simple as possible in terms of use. I always found MKVCleaver GUI to be a little awkward and preferred to use MKVExtractGUI, but since it had its flows, gMKVExtractGUI was born.

Tags
extractor, gmkvextractgui, matroska, mkv, mkv extract, mkvextract, mkvextractgui