Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 8th January 2012, 12:53   #1  |  Link
[ReX]

JMkvpropedit v1.4.3 - Batch GUI for mkvpropedit

Okay, I rewrote this thing and it's now a batch GUI for mkvpropedit, so it may be actually useful now.

For now you can:
-Set title; default, forced, track name and language of video, audio and subtitle tracks (it was compiled for maximum of 30 tracks of each kind, I don't think it's needed, but can be changed easily on the source).
-For title and track names there's a basic numbering function, where you specify the starting number and the padding.
-You can set the path for mkvtoolnix now.
-It's possible to just get the command line instead of actually editing the files.
-You can add extra command line parameters for general and each track.

Screenshots:

Quote:
JMkvpropedit 1.4.3
-Add missing "add folder" button to the GUI (drag & drop already had that feature but I forgot to add it to the GUI)
-Also added tooltips to the buttons because why not.

JMkvpropedit 1.4.2
Fix chapter removal

JMkvpropedit 1.4.1
Fixed typo that made the {file_name} param behave incorrectly

JMkvpropedit 1.4
-Updated to work with latest MKVToolnix version (v21.0.0)
-Updated MKV Strings (language/MIME types)
-Changed the maximum number of streams to 100 because why not

Updated some libraries
-ini4j from v0.5.2 to v0.5.4
-Apache Commons IO from v2.4 to v2.6
-Launch4j from v3.4 to v3.11

JMkvpropedit 1.3.4 (pre-release)
Add "{file_name}" parameters for titles

JMkvpropedit 1.3.3.1
Made folder wildcard filter case insensitive.

JMkvpropedit 1.3.3
Now it's also possible to add folders to the file list.

JMkvpropedit 1.3.2
Added drag & drop targets for attachments' file fields.

JMkvpropedit 1.3.1
Corrected typo on command to delete attachments using its ID.

JMkvpropedit 1.3
Added support for adding, replacing and deleting attachments.

JMkvpropedit 1.2
-Use double quotes for file names in command line generation for non-Windows, now (hopefully) only double quotes need to be escaped;
-Open dialog now refuses to open non-existent files (i.e. typed paths);
-Chapters/tags files now have the *.txt filter, in both open dialog and the option to match file names;

JMkvpropedit 1.1.1
-Default value for mkvpropedit executable is now "mkvpropedit", meaning it can be executed if it's included in the system path;
-Value of INI file won't be checked for existence anymore, now that's done when the button "Process files" is clicked and will only display an error if the specified executable can't be run;
-Fixed small bug in detection of mkvpropedit path from registry;
-Buttons to browse chapters/tags files weren't implemented.

JMkvpropedit 1.1
-Interface redesigned, now it uses flexible layouts, meaning ugly hacks for different platforms aren't needed anymore, and the window is now resizable;
-Now the suffix for chapters/tags file can be specified.

JMkvpropedit 1.0.9.1
Changed the option to select chapters/tags that match the file so now it works this way: "example.mkv", chapters will be "example.xml" (no change) and tags will be "example-tags.xml", as it didn't really make sense to use to same file for both.

JMkvpropedit 1.0.9
Added option to select chapters/tags that match the file (for example: if you have a file named "example.mkv", then the chapters/tags file will be "example.xml").

JMkvpropedit 1.0.8
-Added right-click menus to text fields and text area;
-Backslashes will now be escaped for extra command line fields (options file only, of course);
-Now it's also possible to specify a file with tags.

JMkvpropedit 1.0.7
-Fixed bottom button behavior when item at the bottom was selected along with other items;
-Escape backslashes for extra command line;
-Added option to specify chapter file in addition to removing it.

JMkvpropedit 1.0.6
-Removed border and background from buttons with images;
-Added button to remove tracks (will remove the last track).

JMkvpropedit 1.0.5.1
Controls should not get cut off on Mac anymore.

JMkvpropedit 1.0.5
-Check for duplicate files when adding from command line;
-Option file will be saved as UTF-8.

JMkvpropedit 1.0.4
Files can now be added on startup as command line arguments

JMkvpropedit 1.0.3.1
Added more character escaping for *nix.

JMkvpropedit 1.0.3
-Now it uses an option file to pass arguments to mkvpropedit (to bypass the Windows command line character limit);
-It should also work in Linux now (tested with Lubuntu);
-Fixed a very stupid bug, the code didn't actually check if "Edit this track" was checked for video/audio/subtitle command line generation;
-It'll now escape double quotes for command line generation; and escape spaces if not on Windows ;
-Added option to remove tags.

JMkvpropedit 1.0.2
Added option to remove chapters.

JMkvpropedit 1.0.1
-Added registry check for mkvtoolnix path if no INI file exists;
-Added drag and drop support for file list.
Download | Source

Last edited by [ReX]; 9th March 2018 at 19:18.
[ReX] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 13:07   #2  |  Link
sneaker_ger

You do know that mkvmerge GUI already comes with its own graphical header editor, don't you?
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 13:19   #3  |  Link
[ReX]

Yes, I do know.
I made this more to see if I could do it, this is my second GUI attempt.

Anyway, I fixed it so it'll store the new values after changing them, it's less stupid now.

Download updated.
Old 8th January 2012, 13:32   #4  |  Link
sneaker_ger

It doesn't work here, throws an error at start: "Could not find the main class: JMkvpropedit. Program will exit."
Using Win 7 x64, Java 6 u30 32bit
Old 8th January 2012, 14:04   #5  |  Link
[ReX]

I see what happened now, it was compiled using javac from JRE 7, give me a second.

Edit:
Download updated, now it should work.
Sorry about that.

Last edited by [ReX]; 8th January 2012 at 14:35.
Old 8th January 2012, 14:12   #6  |  Link
sneaker_ger

No, same error.
Old 8th January 2012, 14:55   #7  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Now it starts, but retrieving the info with MediaInfo.exe does not really work. It will start, but of the four times I tried opening a file, each time MediaInfo showed different results, strange windows, empty captions, an error etc. Does it rely on MediaInfo being pre-configured with certain settings (like language)?

VirusTotal complains, though only two scanners, btw.:
http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/...8b0-1326030103
Old 8th January 2012, 16:18   #8  |  Link
[ReX]

Use the MediaInfo CLI.
Old 8th January 2012, 16:41   #9  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Ah, my bad. Had both the CLI and GUI packages in the same folder and extracted the wrong package by accident. Working now.
Old 11th February 2012, 18:32   #10  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

I've added a link on the MKVToolNix links page to this thread.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 19:12   #11  |  Link
[ReX]

Wow, I feel honored!

If anyone is interested, I'm updating the code to pass everything but the extra arguments to an option file (or maybe everything, if I find a good way to do it). It made sense after I saw Mosu talking about the Windows command line character limit.
Old 15th February 2012, 16:25   #12  |  Link
[ReX]

Version 1.0.3 released.
Old 1st March 2012, 23:05   #13  |  Link
eidolen

I just wanted to let you know how much your work is appreciated! I have literally scoured the net and reached the end looking for this program that didn't exist until now. I've made pleas to the dev of mkvpropedit, as well as the devs of mp3tag and puddletag respectively in the hopes that someone would take up the cause.

Making it cross-platform was another win for me as I'm running xubuntu, and was just sure that if anyone would make this program it would be native to windows.

**End Gushing**

The one question I would ask, is if it's possible to pass a group of files to the program using a file manager. (Thunar in my case) Thunar lets you create custom actions and I've tried everything I could think of but with no joy.

exec java -jar "~/.bin/JMkvpropedit.jar" "%F"

Thunar uses these substitutions:
%f — The path to the first selected file.
%F — The paths to all selected files.
%d — Directory containing the file passed in %f.
%D — Directories containing the files passed in %F.
%n — The first selected file name (no path.)
%N — the selected file names (without paths.)

Even without this functionality I'm still ecstatic, but if this is possible it would really shine.

Many Thanks,
E
eidolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2012, 12:25   #14  |  Link
[ReX]

It's possible, but it didn't work because there's no command line parameter parsing as of now, I have to add it.
You can compile the JAR to a Linux binary using Launch4j, then you don't have to call it using "java -jar".

Edit: Launch4j is only for creating Windows executables, I didn't actually test it, sorry.

Last edited by [ReX]; 4th March 2012 at 05:29.
Old 4th March 2012, 05:17   #15  |  Link
[ReX]

Done.
Just one thing, you should use %F, not "%F".
Old 4th March 2012, 14:26   #16  |  Link
eidolen

Outstanding!

Works like a charm. Tagging my collection won't be such a daunting task now. You have my gratitude.

E

P.S. Thanks for clarifying Launch4j. I checked it out but just figured I was missing something. It doesn't matter anyway as I am able to just dbl-click the .jar to launch if I want but I prefer to call it from the file manager with the files I want selected.
eidolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2012, 22:41   #17  |  Link
Da_maniaC
Knows a thing or two...

I would like to use this tool so i can easily change properties of my mkv files (default subtitle flags mostly).
For some reason when i load a file, nothing seems to be recognised or analysed though.

For example... a mkv file i loaded has 7 different subtitles, but this tool is not showing any of them,

Am i doing something wrong?
Da_maniaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 14:22   #18  |  Link
[ReX]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_maniaC View Post
I would like to use this tool so i can easily change properties of my mkv files (default subtitle flags mostly).
For some reason when i load a file, nothing seems to be recognised or analysed though.

For example... a mkv file i loaded has 7 different subtitles, but this tool is not showing any of them,

Am i doing something wrong?
When I wrote this for just one file, it used to read the properties of it (in a very bad way), but that doesn't make sense in a batch program, does it? It's used to change a lot of files.

To change all 7 subtitles tracks, go the the subtitle tab and click the plus button until you have all 7 tracks there.
Don't worry, only the things that are checked are changed; if you don't want to change the track name, for example, don't check it and it won't be touched at all.

As was said in this thread, if you want something to change just one file that shows the current properties, just use mkvmerge GUI's header editor (File -> Header editor).

Last edited by [ReX]; 18th June 2012 at 14:27.
Old 18th June 2012, 18:22   #19  |  Link
Da_maniaC
Knows a thing or two...

To be frank i think your tool has a better user interface than the MKVMergeGUI header editor.
Suffice to say it looks like i get an error message on the output tab once i try to process your suggestion (go to the right track number and edit the 'default' flag).

For some silly reason the command line seems to automatically adjust to my windows language but translated it says something like:
"Warning: The properties 'track:s4' and 'track:s4' lead to the same track with UID ######".

After that it still states "Changes are being written to file. Done."
But after that when i check the mkv file, nothing has changed.

--

The MKVMergeGUI header editor has a few major turn-offs... opening as well as writing to a file make the window 'not responding' there's no progress bar or anything.
Editing the subtitle track properties is bothersome to say the least since you have to collapse the right headers and scroll up and down the window while that seems to work rather limited.

[Edit]:
Looks like your tool is working regardless of the output message!
The track properties are being changed...i just had to un-default the other ones for the changes to become visible (must have slipped me somehow).

Last edited by Da_maniaC; 18th June 2012 at 18:35.
Da_maniaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 03:24   #20  |  Link
[ReX]

1.0.9.1 released!

Quote:
JMkvpropedit 1.0.9.1
-Changed the option to select chapters/tags that match the file so now it works this way: "example.mkv", chapters will be "example.xml" (no change) and tags will be "example-tags.xml", as it didn't really make sense to use to same file for both.

JMkvpropedit 1.0.9
-Added option to select chapters/tags that match the file (for example: if you have a file named "example.mkv", then the chapters/tags file will be "example.xml").
Had to update quickly, good thing I noticed that fast.

Last edited by [ReX]; 28th June 2012 at 17:16.

Tags
matroska, metadata