Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 27th March 2010, 12:27   #1  |  Link
2twisty

Change default subtitle track in Matroska without remux?

I've got several MKVs that have multiple subtitle tracks.

Unfortunately for me, someone set the default subtitle track. So, everytime I play one of these MKVs, I need to go select my preferred language instead of the one selected by the default.

I'm looking for a tool that can change the default subtitle track of a Matroska without having to remux the file.

If this were just one or two files, then remuxing would not be a big deal, but I have quite a few and this will take quite some time to fix all of these.

I find it hard to believe that there's not a "quick and dirty" tool that can do this.

I've searched and searched with no luck.

I'm hoping the brain trust here at doom9 will have some ideas.
2twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2010, 14:53   #2  |  Link
sneaker_ger

You have the following options:
1.) Use mkvtoolnix's header editor to change the files one by one
2.) Use mkvtoolnix's mkvpropedit to batch change the files (needs batch and cmd knowledge)
3.) Some splitters (Like Haali and the one integrated in newer MPC-HC builds) allow you to specify a standard language which will be loaded automatically, so you may not have to edit any files at all
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 19:11   #3  |  Link
osgZach

If you use Haali (and theres no reason you shouldn't) that is the best place to go set default track combinations.

You should be able to set several different combos, in order, that can be tried.. So if the first combo fails, the second one will be tried, then the third, etc.

I usually do this to ensure I always get an english track and no subtitles if they exist.
osgZach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
default, matroska, mkv, remux, subtitle