Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 19th January 2010, 20:20   #21  |  Link
sheck

Quote:
Ok...I have tried this on 4 machines....2 at home, 2 at work. Program works on 1 at home and 1 at work. Same errors occur on the ones that do not work. Bizarre. All are XP SP3 with all updates to Jan 2010.

Something is funny somewhere in the coding I think. Perhaps ini file is better for settings so we can see what is going on.

Nice app though!!!

thanks for your time.
Strange. I will look into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by war59312 View Post
Hi,

Nice app. Job well done.

Lots of usability suggestions though.. In fact if most if not all of these are not fixed then I cant recommend it, as it can get way to confusing.

Any how, on with my suggestions...

First, please have it remember window location.

Second, disable "The Extract Tracks" button until at least 1 track is selected.
Remembering window location is not hard to implement, but what's the point ? Well, if many people want it then I will.

The button should be disabled until at least one track is added. This must be a bug, I will look into it.

Quote:
O.K when "installing" how about instead of some warning. Simply when the user double clicks on it, instead of just extracting to current directory. Create a new directory called MKVcleaver and then move itself to that directory and then execute main exe. Can be done simple enough with cmd line.
What is the point of that ? Copy the main exe into the directory where you want to run it from and it will extract everything there. Why double work ?

Quote:
If I were to check a parent check box the checks boxes under it should be checked too, and visa verse. Does not do that now, it should.
Tha's not hard to implement. I will review this.

Quote:
As mentioned already by XhmikosR, about links should open in default browser, not just IE.
This is because MKVcleaver uses IE COM object. There is always gonna be IE on any Windows OS, but Mozilla, Opera, etc. I'm not sure. Even though a lot of people use Mozilla, I would need more people to ask for this. I'm not gonna spend my time working on something when majority of people don't care about it. Using IE won't kill anybody...

Quote:
No way to select all? If I drop in my folder with 10,000 plus videos there is no way to select/de-select all. Nor a range, using shift key. Would be nice. Sames with "Tracks to Extract".
There is: press Alt+Shift+A to select all and the same to de-select all.

Quote:
"Remove selected files from list" button should only become enabled if a file in the list is highlight. I should be able to right click on a file and do this too.
I will look into that.
Removing files by right clicking is unnecessary, select a parent check box and click the button. Again, double work is not needed.

Quote:
Sames goes with right clicking on a file, only show "Get Detailed Info" if a file is selected. In fact at the moment, if you do that and you did not first left click on the file it shows the previous file information. Whoops.
I'm working on it. It seems to be a problem with TreeView API in Windows. Right clicking does not select an item for some reason.

Quote:
And that option should only show up if you select the movie then since it does nothing if selected the video or audio part. Never show an option to the user they cant even use.
Unless of course you plan on adding separate detailed info about the video and audio parts?
This is because, I don't know how many items you're going to add. Imagine, 1000 items and 1000 controls created for those items. It's not very efficient. I hear what you're saying though. I will see if anything can be done in an efficient manner.

Quote:
Middle mouse clicking a file should display "Detailed Info".
I will think about it.

Quote:
O.K "Tracks to extract" is nice but why show every single one by default? Perhaps only show ones that have been selected under "Files to process" by default and add a little check box "Show All" to enable all of them.
Because it's a batch processor. Again, no need for double work.

Quote:
While processing you disable all the buttons so why not gray them out then too. Why is video option "Convert H.264 tracks to AVI files" not locked and grayed out then.
So you can toggle it while it's processing and don't have to cancel. It's in the Help file. Please read.

Quote:
It's forgetting my output directory, remember it please. Currently it defaults to same location as folder, which I don't use. Annoying having to set it every time.
It will forget it if you restart the app. Because it's a batch processor, there is no guarantee that you will need to use the same directory as last time. If enough people find this annoying I will change this behavior.

Quote:
And I agree please store settings in a .ini, .cfg, etc. file so it's portable instead of storing in the registry. Though it seems no options are saved here. It forgets "Filename options" and "Video options" every time.
The settings file might be a good idea. It forgets all the options, because it's a batch processor. There is no guarantee that you will be using the same options every time, then it will be annoying to change them every time if the app remembers everything.

Quote:
It crashed on me one time extracting an audio track, unable to reproduce at the moment though. Don't see any errors logged though.
Might be a fluke. Logging is virtually non existent right now. If there is an error displayed, write it down and post here. Or even better take a screen shot.

Quote:
Don't un-check options just because of an error. For example if I simply check "Timecodes", "Cuesheets", "Chaptrs", and "Tags" under "Tracks to extract" and don't pick any file to process and then click the "Extract Tracks" button, you then get an error and after clicking "OK", all your options you previously had checked no longer are.
Good point.

Quote:
Same thing happens if you cancel processing, that is all selections go bye bye. Well at least files to process remain checked.
This behavior is intended. Because it is assumed that if you cancel processing then at least one file has been processed and the available information changed. Then there is no reason to keep the old settings. If people find this behavior annoying then post here.

Quote:
Why cant I change the size of the main window, nor maximize it? GUI display issue? Fix it, then please. Indeed a bit screwed up if you force maximize using task manager. Should not be too hard to fix?
Tha's just me being lazy. I don't like to maximize windows, because I work with several of them at the same time and maximizing just makes everything extra hard. Again, if people want it to maximize, I will add it. Post here.
sheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 20:27   #22  |  Link
ron spencer
DVD Magistrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Try downgrading to the official/stable 3.0.0. Doesn't seem to work with the pre-releases.
Am using 3.0.0 stable....some weirdness going on
ron spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 20:32   #23  |  Link
sheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron spencer View Post
Am using 3.0.0 stable....some weirdness going on
Open command line, navigate to the directory where you have mkvtoolnix and run the following:

Code:
mkvinfo --version & mkvextract --version
Take a screen shot and post it here.
Old 19th January 2010, 20:37   #24  |  Link
MuLTiTaSK

@sheck

the problems lies with mkvextract.exe not returning version info
MuLTiTaSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 20:55   #25  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuLTiTaSK View Post
@sheck

Exactly what happens here with pre-207 build. Stable is fine, though. No idea why it doesn't work for ron spencer with 3.0.0 stable.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 20:56   #26  |  Link
sheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuLTiTaSK View Post
@sheck

Hmm, I wonder why that is...

This is what I get on my system:
Attached Images

Last edited by sheck; 20th January 2010 at 17:04.
Old 19th January 2010, 21:07   #27  |  Link
stax76

Instead of making a console output screenshot output can be redirected to a file, it works like this:

mkvinfo --version > aaa.txt

In Win 7 you can directly redirect to the clipboard:

mkvinfo --version | clip

The text can then be posted. Posting a attachment needs approval which can take hours or longer so file hosters are better used instead, it's also easier on the forum database which stores everything, posts, big logfiles and pictures. I don't know if big posts, logfiles and attachments are an issue for the forum hosting. A file hoster is smart and deletes files not requested for some time. Filedropper or mediafire would be such file hosters.

Last edited by stax76; 19th January 2010 at 21:16.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 21:17   #28  |  Link
sheck

OK, try this then:

Code:
mkvinfo --version > mkvinfo.txt &  mkvextract --version > mkvextract.txt
Old 19th January 2010, 23:56   #29  |  Link
MuLTiTaSK

mkvmerge --version works with MKVToolNix 3.1.0
MuLTiTaSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 00:10   #30  |  Link
sheck

Hmm, 3.1 version of mkvextract does not report version at all on my PC. This is weird. I'll have to change some code then.

@MuLTiTaSK

Is that an unofficial build ? Where can I get more info on that version ?

Last edited by sheck; 20th January 2010 at 00:18.
Old 20th January 2010, 00:45   #31  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Same for me. It won't report a version.

It's an official build, get it here and get info here.

/edit: filed a bug report.

Last edited by sneaker_ger; 20th January 2010 at 00:49.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 00:54   #32  |  Link
ron spencer
DVD Magistrate

no version of mkvextract gives me a version number...that is the issue. Why is it checked for anyway. Tried the V3.1 as well. It is the cause. How about not checking and just tell user at first run minimum versions are needed.
Old 20th January 2010, 00:59   #33  |  Link
sheck

I'm working on fixing it, Ron. I'll post when it's done. There are going to be some other fixes as well.
Old 20th January 2010, 01:59   #34  |  Link
ron spencer
DVD Magistrate

cool...no rush really...just giving feedback.

cheers
Old 20th January 2010, 05:25   #35  |  Link
sheck

V 0.3.0.0 Released

This version has some fixes:

* Extract button is disabled til mkvtoolnix path is correct and there is at least one file added.
* MKVcleaver will only check if mkvextract.exe exists. No other checks done.
* Remove button will only be enabled if one or more files are checked.
* Path to mkvtoolnix is now stored in custom.ini file. No other settings are saved in this release.
* Settings are not reset, if an error occurred or if the cancel button was pressed and no files were processed. In all other cases settings will be reset.

To DO:

* Fix Get Detailed Info context menu
* Add ability to Maximize

Everything else will be added by majority requests.

Last edited by sheck; 20th January 2010 at 05:34.
Old 22nd January 2010, 06:19   #36  |  Link
setarip_old

@sheck

Hi!

This tool is impressive in its deceptive simplicity.

Have I missed something? Why is it that when extracting PSG subtitles, the resultant file is given an extension of ".unknown", rather than the typical ".SUP" - and doesn't include the language name in the title?

Last edited by setarip_old; 22nd January 2010 at 08:03.
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2010, 19:33   #37  |  Link
sheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
@sheck

Hi!

This tool is impressive in its deceptive simplicity.

Have I missed something? Why is it that when extracting PSG subtitles, the resultant file is given an extension of ".unknown", rather than the typical ".SUP" - and doesn't include the language name in the title?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but PSG is BluRay subs, right ?

In any case, open cmd and run this command mkvmerge -i "mkv file"

It will tell you which codec is used for PSG subtitles. Open custom.ini and add that codec and extension as described in help file.

Next time MKVcleaver will add the custom extension you assigned to it. You can do it with any codec that is detected as unknown.

As for the language code, it's because a lot of files don't have language codes set and so MKVcleaver doesn't add language to the file name. It goes by track # and track type for 100% compatibility with all files.

Last edited by sheck; 22nd January 2010 at 22:38.
Old 22nd January 2010, 21:50   #38  |  Link
setarip_old

Thanks for the insight regarding commandline mkvmerge.

Regarding adding the Language name to the extracted stream title - Can't you adjust your program to pick it up if it appears in the left pane - and only use ".unknown" for those PGS streams that don't?

BTW - Dyslexia or old age (or both) - Of course I meant "PGS" and not "PSG" ;>}
Old 22nd January 2010, 21:59   #39  |  Link
sheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post

Regarding adding the Language name to the extracted stream title - Can't you adjust your program to pick it up if it appears in the left pane - and only use ".unknown" for those PGS streams that don't?
Well I could. But hear my point: If you have several tracks that are the same language, for example, 3 English, then 3 Spanish and whatever else, then outputting the language is pointless, because you will have 3 tracks with the same language tag. How will you know which is which then ? That's why it goes by track # and track type.

I could be missing why you want this function. Maybe if you explain in detail what exactly you want, I could reconsider.

EDIT: I will add that if a lot of people would like languages in the file names.

Last edited by sheck; 23rd January 2010 at 04:34. Reason: EDIT:
Old 23rd January 2010, 02:49   #40  |  Link
setarip_old

Thank you - I was requesting the addition of the language(3 letters) to the track # and track type...

Tags
batch extract, extractor, matroska, mkv, mkv batch, mkv decoder, mkvextract