Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 16th January 2010, 01:19   #1  |  Link
sheck

MKVcleaver : GUI for mkvextract with batch support v 0.8.0.0

I wrote a utility that allows batch extraction of data from MKV files. Idea came from using OGMcleaver. However OGMcleaver did not work with MkvToolNix v3, so I wrote this.

Get the files here: my site

If the above link does not work, get the file at videohelp.com page

Put exe file into a directory from where you want to run it. When it starts up, all the needed files will be extracted into the same directory. Read help file for further info and on how to use.

Last edited by sheck; 24th September 2018 at 21:12. Reason: Version Update
sheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 01:49   #2  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Looks nice but is it possible to demux FLAC as RAW stream and not in OGG container?
Keiyakusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 03:08   #3  |  Link
sheck

Not right now, I will add it. Keep checking back, I will post when it's done.
Old 16th January 2010, 04:18   #4  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

Looks great so far. I second Keiyakusha's suggestion, and I wonder whether it might make sense (from a "batch" perspective) to have rules that can be set in a separate pane: always extract FLAC without an ogg container, always extract all audio tracks of a certain language, etc.
Inspector.Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 04:38   #5  |  Link
sheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector.Gadget View Post
Looks great so far. I second Keiyakusha's suggestion, and I wonder whether it might make sense (from a "batch" perspective) to have rules that can be set in a separate pane: always extract FLAC without an ogg container, always extract all audio tracks of a certain language, etc.
Regarding tracks of a certain language : not sure how it would work, since a lot of files don't even have the language flag set. However, please elaborate more on your rules idea.
Old 16th January 2010, 06:49   #6  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

As I understand it, MKVCleaver uses mkvtoolnix, which in the mkvextract binary can take commands like --no-ogg, --fullraw, etc. Maybe it would make sense to build something into MKVCleaver where a user could set a preference that would cause MKVCleaver to always pass the --no-ogg command when dealing with a FLAC track? This sort of thing could quickly become a pain in the butt to maintain if you were to build in every available option, but perhaps things like (for example) always dumping timecodes or CUE sheets could be controlled by a toggle switch? I think the availability of such a rule for the most common/used options makes more sense than setting it per-track, which might interfere with the goal of your useful batch application.
Old 16th January 2010, 16:37   #7  |  Link
sheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector.Gadget View Post
As I understand it, MKVCleaver uses mkvtoolnix, which in the mkvextract binary can take commands like --no-ogg, --fullraw, etc. Maybe it would make sense to build something into MKVCleaver where a user could set a preference that would cause MKVCleaver to always pass the --no-ogg command when dealing with a FLAC track? This sort of thing could quickly become a pain in the butt to maintain if you were to build in every available option, but perhaps things like (for example) always dumping timecodes or CUE sheets could be controlled by a toggle switch? I think the availability of such a rule for the most common/used options makes more sense than setting it per-track, which might interfere with the goal of your useful batch application.
I see. I will add all the switches that mkvextract can take and allow user to right click on first Audio and Video tracks and set these options through right click menu in the right pane. This will apply to all files in the left pane. How's that ?
Old 16th January 2010, 19:02   #8  |  Link
sheck

OK, I added option to extract raw FLAC. Right click on the first Audio in the right pane for options. See help file for more info.

I'm not sure if anyone want --raw and --fullraw options added. Post in this thread if you do.
Old 16th January 2010, 22:57   #9  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheck View Post
I see. I will add all the switches that mkvextract can take and allow user to right click on first Audio and Video tracks and set these options through right click menu in the right pane. This will apply to all files in the left pane. How's that ?
Brilliant .
Old 18th January 2010, 23:17   #10  |  Link
ron spencer
DVD Magistrate

thanks!!!
ron spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 23:55   #11  |  Link
ron spencer
DVD Magistrate

does not work says mkvinfo and/or mkvextract did not report a version number.

why is this? Both files are in same folder.
Old 19th January 2010, 00:06   #12  |  Link
sheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron spencer View Post
does not work says mkvinfo and/or mkvextract did not report a version number.

why is this? Both files are in same folder.
These files don't have to be in the same folder as MKVcleaver. Extract MkvToolNix anywhere you want (all the files, not just the ones you want) then start MKVcleaver, click "Locate MkvToolNix..." button and select the folder where you extracted MkvToolNix package.

Last edited by sheck; 19th January 2010 at 00:14.
Old 19th January 2010, 00:28   #13  |  Link
sheck

I updated file to version 0.2.0.1. Minor gui fixes. This won't affect functionality.
Old 19th January 2010, 02:19   #14  |  Link
ron spencer
DVD Magistrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheck View Post
These files don't have to be in the same folder as MKVcleaver. Extract MkvToolNix anywhere you want (all the files, not just the ones you want) then start MKVcleaver, click "Locate MkvToolNix..." button and select the folder where you extracted MkvToolNix package.
I have done that...mkvtoolnix is installed in my programs folder. Still get the same error message popping up about the file not found. I also re-downloaded the package and extracted...same error

Last edited by ron spencer; 19th January 2010 at 02:24.
Old 19th January 2010, 04:10   #15  |  Link
RiCON

Excellent substitute for MKVExtractGUI.

Thank you very much for making it.
RiCON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 14:58   #16  |  Link
XhmikosR

I'm having the same issue ron spencer is having. I'm using one of the latest prelease versions of MKVToolnix 3.0.0.

Other than that, you've made the links in the About window open with IE. They should open with whatever browser is set as the default one in the system, Firefox in my case.
Also how about saving your program's settings in a INI file instead of the registry?
And maybe a warning that MKVcleaver is going to extract some files?

Nevertheless, thank you for the time you've spent on this program.

Last edited by XhmikosR; 19th January 2010 at 15:00.
XhmikosR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 15:03   #17  |  Link
ron spencer
DVD Magistrate

Ok...I have tried this on 4 machines....2 at home, 2 at work. Program works on 1 at home and 1 at work. Same errors occur on the ones that do not work. Bizarre. All are XP SP3 with all updates to Jan 2010.

Something is funny somewhere in the coding I think. Perhaps ini file is better for settings so we can see what is going on.

Nice app though!!!

thanks for your time.
Old 19th January 2010, 17:29   #18  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Try downgrading to the official/stable 3.0.0. Doesn't seem to work with the pre-releases.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 17:42   #19  |  Link
stax76

I wonder what's up with many GUIs written with AutoIt recently instead of VB.NET for instance. Biggest problem might be understanding OOP and AutoIt has many automation built in that require WinAPI calls in .NET that are also a bit difficult if you don't know C and COM+.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 18:00   #20  |  Link
war59312
war59312.com

Hi,

Nice app. Job well done.

Lots of usability suggestions though.. In fact if most if not all of these are not fixed then I cant recommend it, as it can get way to confusing.

Any how, on with my suggestions...

First, please have it remember window location.

Second, disable "The Extract Tracks" button until at least 1 track is selected.

O.K when "installing" how about instead of some warning. Simply when the user double clicks on it, instead of just extracting to current directory. Create a new directory called MKVcleaver and then move itself to that directory and then execute main exe. Can be done simple enough with cmd line.

If I were to check a parent check box the checks boxes under it should be checked too, and visa verse. Does not do that now, it should.

As mentioned already by XhmikosR, about links should open in default browser, not just IE.

No way to select all? If I drop in my folder with 10,000 plus videos there is no way to select/de-select all. Nor a range, using shift key. Would be nice. Sames with "Tracks to Extract".

"Remove selected files from list" button should only become enabled if a file in the list is highlight. I should be able to right click on a file and do this too.

Sames goes with right clicking on a file, only show "Get Detailed Info" if a file is selected. In fact at the moment, if you do that and you did not first left click on the file it shows the previous file information. Whoops.

And that option should only show up if you select the movie then since it does nothing if selected the video or audio part. Never show an option to the user they cant even use.

Unless of course you plan on adding separate detailed info about the video and audio parts?

Middle mouse clicking a file should display "Detailed Info".

O.K "Tracks to extract" is nice but why show every single one by default? Perhaps only show ones that have been selected under "Files to process" by default and add a little check box "Show All" to enable all of them.

While processing you disable all the buttons so why not gray them out then too. Why is video option "Convert H.264 tracks to AVI files" not locked and grayed out then.

It's forgetting my output directory, remember it please. Currently it defaults to same location as folder, which I don't use. Annoying having to set it every time.

And I agree please store settings in a .ini, .cfg, etc. file so it's portable instead of storing in the registry. Though it seems no options are saved here. It forgets "Filename options" and "Video options" every time.

It crashed on me one time extracting an audio track, unable to reproduce at the moment though. Don't see any errors logged though.

Don't un-check options just because of an error. For example if I simply check "Timecodes", "Cuesheets", "Chaptrs", and "Tags" under "Tracks to extract" and don't pick any file to process and then click the "Extract Tracks" button, you then get an error and after clicking "OK", all your options you previously had checked no longer are.

Same thing happens if you cancel processing, that is all selections go bye bye. Well at least files to process remain checked.

Why cant I change the size of the main window, nor maximize it? GUI display issue? Fix it, then please. Indeed a bit screwed up if you force maximize using task manager. Should not be too hard to fix?

O.K enough for now. Thanks for looking into all this.

Take Care,

Will

Last edited by war59312; 19th January 2010 at 18:02.
war59312 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batch extract, extractor, matroska, mkv, mkv batch, mkv decoder, mkvextract