Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 21st February 2018, 10:31   #1  |  Link
`Orum

Timestamp for final frame duration in MKV?

I've been looking at the documentation for mkvmerge's timestamp formats, and the one of interest to me is the v2 format. However, it's unclear to me exactly how I'm supposed to specify the length of the final frame of my video.

Based on where it says, "You have to give at least as many timestamp lines as there are frames in the track" (emphasis mine), it seems to suggest that I can just put one more timestamp than I have frames, but is that actually the case? Does anyone even know a good way of validating this? If this doesn't work, do I have to use a different format to work around it?

Edit: I tested by attempting to extend the length of the final frame by several seconds via the timecode. This seems to work, though I've only tested with MPC-HC so far.

Last edited by `Orum; 21st February 2018 at 10:41.
`Orum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2018, 11:59   #2  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by `Orum View Post
Based on where it says, "You have to give at least as many timestamp lines as there are frames in the track" (emphasis mine), it seems to suggest that I can just put one more timestamp than I have frames, but is that actually the case?
Yes, it works like that as your test also confirms.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2018, 14:38   #3  |  Link
`Orum

Thanks. Presumably it works in everything that supports mkv playback too, I hope?
Old 21st February 2018, 14:41   #4  |  Link
sneaker_ger

I doubt that. When we watch our usual movies (24 Hz) no one really cares how many ms the last frame is shown. It's not something every player developer will test and implement.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
matroska, mkv, timestamp, vfr