Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Closed Thread

Old 22nd September 2008, 01:52   #281  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
now I am really thinking about selling my just bought 4850. Hardware decoding AVCHD footage via avs in premiere or vegas = priceless ATI WEAK UP!!!!
As I mentioned, I believe you can install an Nvidia card as a secondary adapter and CUDA will work just fine with it.
Old 22nd September 2008, 02:18   #282  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwolfamv View Post
Only thing worth mentioning would be that seeking is still slow.
It depends on your IDR or RPS frequency. If you have 300 frame long GOPs, then yes, seeking can be slow. But it's pretty fast for my 25 frame GOPs. Also, be aware that a random seek is only needed when you ask for a frame either behind the last one or more than 10 frames ahead (otherwise the decoder just decodes linearly until the needed frame is reached). Not too many scripts do that. The torture script is Reverse().
Old 22nd September 2008, 02:39   #283  |  Link
rack04

How will the end user update CUDA when Nvidia fixes these problems? Are they part of the Nvidia drivers, CUDA toolkit, or CUDA SDK?
Old 22nd September 2008, 03:25   #284  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
Your not telling us what the reasons are suggests that you don't know what they are.

That doesn't sound right. Why can't you re-use the AVS just as you can load the same script multiple times in VirtualDub?

Anyway, it's a moot point as I have multi-instance working, but I was curious about that design decision.
well, megui stores the AR in the avs, so it have to read it before the encoding (and that requires an instance since we read the AR using a wrapper) and then during the encoding... also megui keeps an instance open for displaying the preview (you can also watch the preview while encoding)... also the user may want to open another instance of another avs or even the same for multiple encodings even after an encoding has been started... also megui has multiple workers so there may be more than one instance running... etc...
so, in short, having a single instance will cripple many megui functionalities and would require workarounds everywhere in the code.
however, since you've sorted the instancing problems, we're all happy

Last edited by Sharktooth; 22nd September 2008 at 03:31.
Old 22nd September 2008, 06:04   #285  |  Link
tre31

Quote:
As I mentioned, I believe you can install an Nvidia card as a secondary adapter and CUDA will work just fine with it.
Well just thought I'd add this since it is kind of relevant, and for ATI users its the final blow, time too get an nvidia card for CUDA me thinks. In a nutshell - no access too UVD via Stream SDK.

http://forums.amd.com/devforum/messa...&enterthread=y
Old 22nd September 2008, 07:10   #286  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Well just thought I'd add this since it is kind of relevant, and for ATI users its the final blow, time too get an nvidia card for CUDA me thinks. In a nutshell - no access too UVD via Stream SDK.
This may change if they will feel that they are staying behind... So WEAK UP Canadians!!!!

Quote:
true but i dont like to have two GFX in my small case.
Old 22nd September 2008, 07:35   #287  |  Link
lucassp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
true but i dont like to have two GFX in my small case.
I guess a low profile 8400 won't hurt a lot
Old 22nd September 2008, 12:10   #288  |  Link
Quark.Fusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
How will the end user update CUDA when Nvidia fixes these problems? Are they part of the Nvidia drivers, CUDA toolkit, or CUDA SDK?
Update drivers.
Old 22nd September 2008, 12:59   #289  |  Link

Multi-instance version

Here's the multi-instance version, also with the bobbing capability.

http://neuron2.net/dgavcdec/dgavcdecnv100a3.zip

EDIT: MeGUI somehow manages to crash in d3d9.dll when enqueueing the job. I don't know why at this time.

Last edited by Guest; 22nd September 2008 at 13:28.
Old 22nd September 2008, 13:23   #290  |  Link
Renzz

Just trying the new version but am now getting "ERROR: Failed to find CUDA-compatible D3D device(2)" error when running the GUI. Previous version worked fine. I have an 8600GT running on Vista SP1. I've tried moving the supplied DLLs into system32 but still get the same error.
Old 22nd September 2008, 13:27   #291  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzz View Post
Just trying the new version but am now getting "ERROR: Failed to find CUDA-compatible D3D device(2)" error when running the GUI.
I don't know what you mean by "when running the GUI".
Old 22nd September 2008, 13:36   #292  |  Link
kemuri-_9
Compiling Encoder

Quote:
referring to DGAVCIndexNV, when i've gotten that error, a restart was in order to fix.
Old 22nd September 2008, 13:40   #293  |  Link
Renzz

Quote:
I mean when running DGAVCIndexNV.exe.

Just to confirm, do we need to do anything with the supplied DLLs? Should they be in the same directory as DGAVCIndexNV.exe or moved to windows/system32?
Old 22nd September 2008, 13:44   #294  |  Link

The DLLs are the same as with the previous version. They should all be in system32 (for Windows XP).

You say that DGAVCIndexNV alpha 2 works and alpha 3 doesn't?

That's hard to believe because the only change was to the name of a windows event (changed name to NULL to avoid name space collision for multiple instances).

Please put alpha3 and alpha 2 EXEs right next to each other in the same directory (to rule out any path differences) and try again.
Old 22nd September 2008, 14:51   #295  |  Link
Renzz

Quote:
Please put alpha3 and alpha 2 EXEs right next to each other in the same directory (to rule out any path differences) and try again.
So alpha 2 was failing in the same way, despite working ok a few days ago. I reinstalled the NVIDIA drivers - and they still both failed. Finally, I deleted the NV DLLs from the directory containing dgavcindexnv.exe - and they both now work.

So a word of warning to Vista users - don't use the two DLLs supplied in the package (nvapi.dll and ncuda.dll) as I think they are from Winxp and must be different to the Vista ones (which are already in system32). Looks like nvcuvid.dll is still needed.
Old 22nd September 2008, 15:20   #296  |  Link

I'm glad you got it working and thank you for reporting your experiences. I will make a document summarizing all these findings.

First, though, I am going to use the debugger to see why MeGUI crahes things when none of the other apps do.
Old 22nd September 2008, 16:10   #297  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine

Location: Lowestoft, UK (but visit lots of places with bribes [beer])
It's MeGUI... there's a reason I don't use it and stick with the CLI tools themselves. IMHO, it's gone down-hill in trying to make itself an all-in-one app.

Did the CUDA Bob end up working properly then? I'm amazed that's allowed, really. How does it compare to, say, DGBob?
Old 22nd September 2008, 16:24   #298  |  Link
Zwitterion

The only interlaced material I have is the bonus content in SD from a Blu-ray. I tried to decode it with dgavcdecnv100a3 and got weird artifacts:

It looks like it decodes the stream, but messed up the lines or something like that.
The indexer shows no such artifacts and I can preview the deinterlacer there.
Here is a sample (first 15 MB of the stream). Can anyone else replicate it?
Old 22nd September 2008, 16:44   #299  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inventive Software View Post
It's MeGUI... there's a reason I don't use it and stick with the CLI tools themselves. IMHO, it's gone down-hill in trying to make itself an all-in-one app.
If it's coded in some silly managed language, I'm not going to bother trying to debug it.

Quote:
Did the CUDA Bob end up working properly then? I'm amazed that's allowed, really. How does it compare to, say, DGBob?
Yes, it seems to work fine. Why would you be amazed? Allowed by what? I haven't done any comparisons yet.
Old 22nd September 2008, 16:45   #300  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwitterion View Post
The only interlaced material I have is the bonus content in SD from a Blu-ray. I tried to decode it with dgavcdecnv100a3 and got weird artifacts
Post your script please.
Closed Thread