Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 24th July 2011, 18:03   #1  |  Link
Djard

MPC Home Cinema slow to launch

I recently posted the question below, which was immediately removed. If there is anything objectionable about the honest question, please afford me the opportunity to respond:

Noticing that "Media Player Classic" (MPC) does not support very well the latest MP4 encoding technology and has been abandoned by the developer, and that "Media Player Classic Home Cinema" (MPC-HC) is now the focus of the project, I uninstalled MPC--even removed the usual residual keys in the registry--then performed a fresh installation of MPC-HC. It works fine, except for the launch: it takes about 30 seconds on my quad chip system to bring up the GUI because the program goes through a "Not responding" period" before opening.

I re-installed the app without a remedy. Is the launch problem a bug that needs to be fixed or should I look for another download source?
Djard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 18:33   #2  |  Link
mikeggsm

If deleting the registry key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Gabest\Media Player Classic

and getting the new version v1.5.2.3456 here

http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/downlo...lassic-hc.html

don't work, I'm not sure what to do...
mikeggsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 21:27   #3  |  Link
clsid

A crappy virus scanner or other security tool can cause this.
Old 25th July 2011, 04:35   #4  |  Link
Djard

MPC Home Cinema

I installed the latest version of MPC Home Cinema and it does launch noticeably faster, but it still goes through more steps than the old MPC to bring up the GUI.

My AV software has not changed (MSE), so I can't blame the security app. The only other difference is that I am now using the x64 version of MPC-HC, but that shouldn't cause a slow-down of the launch. I like MPC-HC, but if the slow launch wears on me, I'll try VLC. Gosh, I think I've been spoiled.
Old 25th July 2011, 09:14   #5  |  Link
CruNcher

I always had the impression that closing it, changing settings and opening the file menu (automatic DVD scan) are the major problematic parts in terms of latency feeling, in those regards it still stands where Firefox was before the sql database switch and no other player behaves as problematic in those key areas (though configuration a normal user shouldn't do so often anyways, so i guess user like me who need to constantly iterate in the options for testing things are more on the edge of a brain melt waiting till the config window is closing especially with a huge list of defined dshow chain rules)

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 25th July 2011 at 09:24.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 17:06   #6  |  Link
Djard

MPC Slooooow launch

I don't know if I am becoming more tolerant; but it seems the more I use MPC-HC the less I have to wait. Still, it is nowhere as fast as MPC. Maybe future editions will address this issue.
Old 25th July 2011, 19:16   #7  |  Link
mikeggsm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djard View Post
I don't know if I am becoming more tolerant; but it seems the more I use MPC-HC the less I have to wait. Still, it is nowhere as fast as MPC. Maybe future editions will address this issue.
I think it's just that the old version was causing problems. Right now my MPC-HC (latest version) takes around 2 seconds to launch, and when I haven't restarted in at least 2 weeks, it can take around 5 seconds.

It's more or less normal.
mikeggsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 20:06   #8  |  Link
clsid

This is the option CruNcher was referring to:
Options -> Player -> Hide CD-ROMs menu
Disabling that can help.

Storing settings in INI file can also cause a little bit of slowdown, but several seconds.
Old 1st August 2011, 10:19   #9  |  Link
Djard

Thanks... that helped. You guys are truly great!

Tags
djard, mpc-hc