Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Closed Thread

Old 24th February 2021, 20:25   #1  |  Link
d3crypti0n

Dolby Vision Multiplexing

Hello everybody,

Not sure if this is the right sub-thread for this. If I'm wrong, please re-direct me to the right one.

Currently I have an mp4-file with a Dolby Vision video track (Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.06, BL+RPU) where I want to add three audio tracks (aac and eac3) and two subtitles (srt).

I used different tools on windows (mp4box and mp4muxer) without any success. The closes thing I've gotten was by using FFMPEG where I was able to add all my additional tracks (audio and subs) but I later noticed that the Dolby Vision profile was gone.

Now I wanted to know, should it be possible with either one of said tools or is there any alternative or is it just not possible to add these while still preserving the Dolby Vision layer?

Thanks in advance for your help
Old 24th February 2021, 22:04   #2  |  Link
RanmaCanada

AFAIK the only software that supports this is Makemkv, and it only supports doing it from the original source. DolbyVision is proprietary tech, so reverse engineering it has been difficult. There is also the issue that only certain profiles of it are playable on certain devices, and even if you did this correctly, it's possible the device you are trying to play it back on doesn't support it. DolbyVision was also only just recently added to the mkv spec, so not all tools support it.

Preserving DolbyVision is easy to do from the source, but not possible I believe when trying to alter your backup. So what you want to do is re-rip your disc and put it into mkv container, and then add your additional files.

If I am wrong, someone will correct me while also giving the correct means to do so.
Old 24th February 2021, 22:10   #3  |  Link
rwill

Tough one....

You need a MP4 muxer that supports the Dolby Vision Boxes. Dolby has one at: https://github.com/DolbyLaboratories/dlb_mp4base

But it appears that it sadly does not support subtitles
Old 24th February 2021, 23:16   #4  |  Link
d3crypti0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanmaCanada View Post
AFAIK the only software that supports this is Makemkv, and it only supports doing it from the original source. DolbyVision is proprietary tech, so reverse engineering it has been difficult. There is also the issue that only certain profiles of it are playable on certain devices, and even if you did this correctly, it's possible the device you are trying to play it back on doesn't support it. DolbyVision was also only just recently added to the mkv spec, so not all tools support it.

Preserving DolbyVision is easy to do from the source, but not possible I believe when trying to alter your backup. So what you want to do is re-rip your disc and put it into mkv container, and then add your additional files.

If I am wrong, someone will correct me while also giving the correct means to do so.
Problem is, I don't have a source, just the file.
Old 24th February 2021, 23:17   #5  |  Link
d3crypti0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwill View Post
Tough one....

You need a MP4 muxer that supports the Dolby Vision Boxes. Dolby has one at: https://github.com/DolbyLaboratories/dlb_mp4base

But it appears that it sadly does not support subtitles
I downloaded the muxer, do you happen to have a command ?
With -h (help) I only get a command to mux it with a base layer. Also, do you know what profile you have to use?
Old 25th February 2021, 14:56   #6  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3crypti0n View Post
Problem is, I don't have a source, just the file.
Thread closed by forum rule 6.

Tags
dolby vision, mp4, multiple audio tracks