Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th July 2021, 10:43   #1181  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

The movie/segment title is purely option. It can be removed safely.

In the multiplexer the movie/segment title can be found on the output tab.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2021, 16:26   #1182  |  Link
LeMoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
I just saw in the source code that sorting is only done if the "recognize file sequences" feature is turned on in the preferences: "Multiplexer" → "Detect file name sequences…" Turning it off should help you, too.
Unfortunately I like the 'Recognize file sequences' feature, so I don't really want to turn it off!

I tried the latest build, the problem looks to be solved, thanks for your reactivity
LeMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2021, 17:49   #1183  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

You're quite welcome. Thanks for the report.

Old 26th July 2021, 00:00   #1184  |  Link
Liisachan
李姗倩 Lǐ Shān Qiàn

Quote:
The option only affects the MIME type of newly added attachments, not of existing attachments.
True, disregard that comment of mine. Not only the implementation would be non-trivial for you, this would also mean, for consisntency, that the mime types of existing attachments should be auto-updated in the reverse way too when MKV is transmuxed, and most users probably don't expect/want that.

(Users of v58 may want to fix the broken mime types due to libmagic, but they can do so by re-muxing instead of transmuxing.)
Liisachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2021, 05:53   #1185  |  Link
varekai
Suspended for forum rule violations

@Mosu
Thanks for your kind reply, much appreciated.
Good to hear all is well with you.
I can feel your concern for your friends, it is troubled times now.

You presented some new ideas to me and I will do some trial&error.
I'm not very good at using command-line but I'll figure it out...

Best regards
varekai
varekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2021, 15:12   #1186  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

MKVToolNix v60.0.0 released

Heya everyone.

Here's a new release of MKVToolNix: v60. It includes a substantial amount of improvements for BCP 47/RFC 5646 language tags. It also fixes a nasty bug in the HEVC code that could lead to a loss of some frames when appending HEVC tracks under certain circumstances.

Nothing's changed for package maintainers this time around.

Here are the usual links: the MKVToolNix home page, the Windows installer/portable version & macOS DMG & Linux AppImage and the source code.

The Windows and macOS binaries as well as the Linux AppImage are available already. The other Linux binaries are still being built and will be available over the course of the next couple of hours.

Here are the NEWS since the previous release:

Version 60.0.0 "Are We Copies?" 2021-07-31
New features and enhancements
  • all: IETF BCP 47/RFC 5646 language tags: added support for language families from ISO 639-5 that aren't part of 639-2.
  • all: IETF BCP 47/RFC 5646 language tags: implemented support for Alpha 2 country codes of the "user-defined" category: "AA", "QM"–"QZ", "XA"–"XZ" and "ZZ".
  • all: IETF BCP 47/RFC 5646 language tags: updated the various lists of valid subtags from the official specs.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: pressing the keyboard shortcut for the track's "Language" label (Alt+L for English) will now open the language dialog.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: added an option in the preferences for turning off the colored boxes indicating which file each track belongs to.

Bug fixes
  • all: IETF BCP 47/RFC 5646 language tags: fixed validating extended language & variant subtags against their allowed prefixes (e.g. a valid tag with a country code as in "de-CH-1996" is recognized as valid while two generally known variants that aren't allowed together as in "de-1901-1996" is recognized as invalid).
  • all: IETF BCP 47/RFC 5646 language tags: when looking up a language for a two- or three-letter code, the programs will no longer compare that code with language names as that was unintended, ambiguous (e.g. the code "Ga" could be interpreted as the 639-2 alpha-2 code for "Irish" or as the name of the language called "Ga") and only worked with languages whose name was at most three letters long.
  • mkvmerge: HEVC/H.265: appending Matroska files with HEVC tracks might lead to the loss of the first couple of frames from each of the second and all following files. Fixes #3170.
  • mkvmerge, mkvextract: HEVC/H.265 parser: fixed the programs aborting when parsing VPS or SPS NALUs with invalid content due to unhandled exceptions. Fixes #3162.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: when the option "use legacy MIME types for font attachments" is enabled, the GUI will now use "application/x-truetype-font" for font collection files.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: fixed escaping the "mkvmerge" argument in the "Show command-line options" dialog for the "Windows (cmd.exe)" mode. Fixes #3164.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: when adding multiple files at once, the GUI will sort file names with numbers the way a human would expect it to. For example, "1.mp4", "9.aac", "10.srt", "11.srt" are now sorted exactly that order instead of "1.mp4", "10.srt", "11.srt", "9.aac".
  • MKVToolNix GUI: header editor: the header editor will now honor the "use legacy MIME types when adding font attachments" setting when adding new attachments.

Have fun 😎

Old 31st July 2021, 18:53   #1187  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Thanks a lot for all your work.
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2021, 21:51   #1188  |  Link
VBB

Thanks Mosu!
Old 5th August 2021, 04:29   #1189  |  Link
Perenista

I have a situation with the app...

- With a MKV open I am trying to add track #1 (MP3 audio) from an AVI. The AVI has 2 audio tracks.
- Then I have chosen all these options:

https://i.postimg.cc/Bnr3W5k2/X1.png

The problem is: MKVToolnix is saying "default: YES" for both audio tracks and telling me portuguese is their language.

I get it that MKVToolnix is saying PT for both. What shouldn't happen here is default: YES. It should be default: NO for the two.

This is after I edit the MKV before saving, so fixing the problem described:

https://i.postimg.cc/mrBdFtF0/XX2.png

Doing this to dozens of videos is going to be a waste of time....

If I am not mistaken what is missing here is a new option, which is only available for subtitles:

Disable "default track" flag for audio tracks
Perenista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2021, 07:59   #1190  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

You're not up to date what the "default track" flag means according to the current Matroska specification. That meaning has changed within the last year or so, and MKVToolNix was adjusted to match that new meaning. Please see this post where I've written about it a few days ago. I also have a slightly more concise FAQ entry on the topic.

Old 6th August 2021, 13:09   #1191  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Anyone using MKVToolNix v60 should probably check the preferences → "Multiplexer" → "Process Priority"& set it to "lower" if it's on "lowest", v60's new default. Unfortunately "lowest" is substantially slower on Windows, even if nothing else is going on.

Unfortunately I forgot to mention that new default in the NEWS.md file for the v60 release. I've now changed the default to "lower" and included a note in NEWS.md.

This problem only affects users with a new installation/when no settings file exists.

Old 7th August 2021, 21:12   #1192  |  Link
Liisachan
李姗倩 Lǐ Shān Qiàn

Just curious: why not "Normal priority" by default? The OS, by default, automatically lowers the priority if the process is background anyway, plus today's CPUs are multicore and not so easily monopolized (muxing is not CPU-intensive).

Another thing that could have been in the news is: "MIME type handling for ttc fonts has been fixed".
Now one can create good MKVs again via GUI with font attachments (both compatible files and new-player-only files). Finally

@Perenista
In the new specs, things are more flexible and more than one audio (or subtitle) tracks can be Default=YES. Since it's flexible, we can manually set Default=YES/NO as we like, and (if desired) make it so that only one audio track and only one sub track have Default=YES - that's what I do anyway. For example, suppose you have two tracks with the identical subtitle text, one being more styled & CPU-intensive, the other being less so. You can mark whichever as Default=YES as you like, the other as Default=NO, assuming that the player will auto-select the Default=YES track when the file is played and the other track is manually selectable.
Old 7th August 2021, 22:58   #1193  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liisachan View Post
Just curious: why not "Normal priority" by default? The OS, by default, automatically lowers the priority if the process is background anyway, plus today's CPUs are multicore and not so easily monopolized (muxing is not CPU-intensive).
It was on "normal" by default until v60. The thing here isn't CPU load, it's actually I/O load. The setting actually causes mkvmerge to lower both its CPU and its I/O priority.

The trigger was a report from a user complaining that mkvmerge using 350 MB/s of I/O bandwidth (fast SSDs, multiple mkvmerge processes running in parallel) was bringing their system to a standstill. A lower-than-normal I/O priority is totally appropriate here as it signals to the OS that what mkvmerge does isn't the most important thing (and it really isn't — interactive things such as web browsers, music/video players are always more important).

Sure, I simply could have told them to lower the priority themselves, but I'm a firm believer that in that while configurability is nice to have (and very important to a lot of people), having the default settings be appropriate for most users is even more important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liisachan View Post
Another thing that could have been in the news is: "MIME type handling for ttc fonts has been fixed".
Not sure what you're missing. The following entry is present for v60:

Quote:
* MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: when the option "use legacy MIME types for font attachments" is enabled, the GUI will now use `application/x-truetype-font` for font collection files.

Old 8th August 2021, 02:43   #1194  |  Link
Liisachan
李姗倩 Lǐ Shān Qiàn

Quote:
It was on "normal" by default until v60. The thing here isn't CPU load, it's actually I/O load. The setting actually causes mkvmerge to lower both its CPU and its I/O priority.
Ah, I see. That makes sense. And you're right, for some reason I didn't notice that ttc entry in the changelog (though I knew the issue itself had been fixed). Thanks again!
Old 9th August 2021, 13:47   #1195  |  Link
quietvoid

When adding multiple tracks with numbered naming like "XX 1", "XX 2", the tracks are automatically appended together with seemingly no way to separate them.
Is there an option to avoid this behaviour?
Old 9th August 2021, 14:23   #1196  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Sure, in the preferences → "Multiplexer" → "Detect file name sequences"

Old 9th August 2021, 14:35   #1197  |  Link
quietvoid

Cool, thank you.
Old 15th August 2021, 09:50   #1198  |  Link
markfilipak

After MKVMERGE concat, subtitles are MIA

I've been searching for a solution for about 7 hours and have not found Joy.

How do I simply concat VOBs and remux them? The concat works like magic, but the subtitle streams are missing.

Thanks,
Mark.

FFPROBE h:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_04_1.VOB
Stream #0:0[0x1bf]: Data: dvd_nav_packet
Stream #0:1[0x1e0]: Video: mpeg2video (Main)...snip
Stream #0:2[0x20]: Subtitle: dvd_subtitle
Stream #0:3[0x21]: Subtitle: dvd_subtitle
Stream #0:4[0x22]: Subtitle: dvd_subtitle
Stream #0:5[0x23]: Subtitle: dvd_subtitle
Stream #0:6[0x24]: Subtitle: dvd_subtitle
Stream #0:7[0x25]: Subtitle: dvd_subtitle
Stream #0:8[0x26]: Subtitle: dvd_subtitle
Stream #0:9[0x27]: Subtitle: dvd_subtitle
Stream #0:10[0x28]: Subtitle: dvd_subtitle
Stream #0:11[0x29]: Subtitle: dvd_subtitle
Stream #0:12[0x2a]: Subtitle: dvd_subtitle
Stream #0:13[0x2b]: Subtitle: dvd_subtitle
Stream #0:14[0x2c]: Subtitle: dvd_subtitle
Stream #0:15[0x2d]: Subtitle: dvd_subtitle
Stream #0:16[0x80]: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 448 kb/s
Stream #0:17[0x81]: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 192 kb/s
Stream #0:18[0x82]: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 192 kb/s
Stream #0:19[0x83]: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 192 kb/s
Stream #0:20[0x84]: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 192 kb/s

MKVMERGE --output concat.mkv h:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_04_1.VOB

MKVINFO --summary concat.mkv
Track 1: video, codec ID: V_MPEG2, mkvmerge/mkvextract track ID: 0...snip
Track 2: audio, codec ID: A_AC3, mkvmerge/mkvextract track ID: 1...snip
Track 3: audio, codec ID: A_AC3, mkvmerge/mkvextract track ID: 2...snip
Track 4: audio, codec ID: A_AC3, mkvmerge/mkvextract track ID: 3...snip
Track 5: audio, codec ID: A_AC3, mkvmerge/mkvextract track ID: 4...snip
Track 6: audio, codec ID: A_AC3, mkvmerge/mkvextract track ID: 5...snip

PS: 'FFMPEG -i "concat:h:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_04_1.VOB|..." -map 0 -codec copy -dn concat.mkv' takes forever or pukes on PTSs or both.

Last edited by markfilipak; 15th August 2021 at 10:04.
markfilipak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2021, 10:39   #1199  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

MKVToolNix doesn't support reading subtitles directly from DVDs. You'll have to extract them with other software such as Subrip or Subtitle Edit. Then feed those extracted files to MKVToolNix.

Old 15th August 2021, 19:30   #1200  |  Link
markfilipak

Quote:
MKVToolNix doesn't support reading subtitles directly from DVDs. You'll have to extract them with other software such as Subrip or Subtitle Edit. Then feed those extracted files to MKVToolNix.
Ah! Thanks, I think what I'll try next is this:
Code:
MKVMERGE --output AVTEMP.mkv VTS_xx_x.VOB
FFMPEG -i AVTEMP.mkv -map 0 -i "concat:VTS_xx_1.VOB|VTS_xx_2.VOB.." -map 1:s -codec copy TARGET.mkv
Hopefully, because I'm asking it to only mux the subtitles, FFMPEG will be smart enough to entirely bypass PTS-rounding issues and the infamous "Timestamps are unset in a packet for stream.." warning. But I suspect that FFMPEG is not that smart and I'll be back at square one.

Is there a way to do the muxing entirely in MKVMERGE via '--subtitle-tracks n,m,...' without messing with 'n,m...' at all? In other words, is there a way to tell MKVMERGE to mux in all subtitle tracks without indexing those tracks? Oh, wait, I'll bet that's why you included a special '-1' stream number (i.e. all streams). I'll try to figure out how to use it with '--sync' but exclude the video stream.

What I'm doing (in my notation):
23.9fps[24pps] --> 24fps[24pps] (via forcing PTSs in FFMPEG [note 1]) --> 60fps[60pps] (via vapoursynth.InterFrame [note 2]).
[note 1] Forcing PTSs does 2 things: 1, it corrects the running time so that the result is identical to what's seen in theaters (i.e. 24fps), and 2, it creates absolutely correct CFR PTSs that are montonically increasing and are purely integer (thereby avoiding rounding errors).
[note 2] Motion vector interpolation to 60fps[60pps] eliminates telecine judder on 60Hz TVs. I've already done this and it looks incredible. I'm trying to automate the process.

Last edited by markfilipak; 15th August 2021 at 22:23.
markfilipak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
matroska