Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Old 28th September 2021, 18:05   #1  |  Link
gonzooka

playback stuttering

Hi there!

(Last login 2015, has been a while^^)

- I recorded video with my mobile and let it record in 4K, the built in codec is HEVC, playback on mobile phone is fine, sure.

I want to make video editing with the footage (i have been on a kayak tour for 2 weeks)

- on laptop it stutters! Like normal, then stuttering more, quarter second normal playback, then stuttering again, and so on. Average CPU load about 50% on every core (also hyperthreading ones).

- I realized that modern CPUs come with hardware decoding for HVEC.
- My notebook's doesnt because it is i7-3630QM from 2012. Its still fast enough for my needs and i viewed several movies in 4K (but MP4).

So any chance to "convince" the codec to do more with my CPU cores? I dont wanted to buy a new notebook...

Thanks in advance!

Roman

Last edited by gonzooka; 28th September 2021 at 21:07.
gonzooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2021, 21:17   #2  |  Link
RanmaCanada

No. Editing regular video needs horsepower and ram, and 4k needs far, far more. Sorry, but you're going to have to replace your laptop with something that isn't a decade old. You can easily replace it with something far more powerful for under $1000 USD.
RanmaCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2021, 09:10   #3  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Intermediate file.
So, I don't know what you're using as NLE, however every serious Non Linear Editor has its own "Optimized Media".
Let's make an example with AVID Media Composer.
When you work on an asset, you generally use something called "Dynamic Relink" and "Multi Resolution".
What this does is basically making you work on a low complexity intermediate file like a puny H.264 4:2:0 8bit as preview.
You're gonna be able to do anything you want, from trimming to fading etc.
Of course you're gonna see the "bad" preview due to the low complexity media you're working on.
Once you've done what you wanted to do, you go back to the Dynamic Resolink - Multi Resolution and you choose to see your H.265 masterfile just to check that everything is alright without playing.
Finally you can just export your final media and all the effects and edits etc you have on the timeline will be applied to the H.265 masterfile.

For instance, over here we might have a 1 Gbit/s 4K Apple ProRes masterfile which is linked in a bin in AVID, but in AVID we work with a low complexity DNxHD Proxy when we have to make edits.

Cheers,
Frank

Last edited by FranceBB; 29th September 2021 at 09:12.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2021, 12:55   #4  |  Link
butterw2

You could use an intermediate format to do the editing (which your PC can handle, ex: compressed 720p-1080p h264), save the project, then apply the project on the original (master) file to ensure maximum quality.
butterw2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hvec stuttering stutter