Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 2nd December 2005, 16:20   #61  |  Link
dand
Danijel.Domazet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond
i am not guessing, i know that elecard and moonlight are totally different encoders/decoders, as the devs told me so
Did they say why? "Probably because Elecard's AVC evolved in the meantime." Or was rewritten. Also, this may be a matter of disclosure agreements, so devs might not be allowed to tell the whole truth - I don't expect them to come here and freely speak on such matters.
Quote:
well its an indication, but might not be a 100% proove that sony uses elecards encoder
Well, how % possible it is that Sony placed "mainconcept" id accidentally on it's AVC!?! Let's be reasonable.
Quote:
i would only say thats for sure if elecards devs confirm that its really that way
Why would devs have any idea about what the sales department is doing?

Daniel
dand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2005, 16:23   #62  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by dand
Did they say why? "Probably because Elecard's AVC evolved in the meantime." Or was rewritten. Also, this may be a matter of disclosure agreements, so devs might not be allowed to tell the whole truth - I don't expect them to come here and freely speak on such matters.

Well, how % possible it is that Sony placed "mainconcept" id accidentally on it's AVC!?! Let's be reasonable.

Why would devs have any idea about what the sales department is doing?
you are speculating, not more

i can say that a dev told me that elecard wrote their avc and mp4 stuff from scratch and i believe a elecard dev more than i believe in speculation, period

this list should be about facts and not speculation

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2005, 16:46   #63  |  Link
dand
Danijel.Domazet

Quote:
you are speculating, not more

i can say that a dev told me that elecard wrote their avc and mp4 stuff from scratch and i believe a elecard dev more than i believe in speculation, period

this list should be about facts and not speculation
I'm not speculating, just putting 2 and 2 together.

Now I could say "writting from scratch" fits into my claim "or was rewritten", and I could say "you will not have 4 AVCs out of this 4 companies but ONE"... But I give up because you tend to miss the point in favor of writing another fast reply.
dand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2005, 17:06   #64  |  Link
bond

you dont seem to get it

eg if elecards decoder would be a continued moonlight decoder, than why is it so clearly damn slower than moonlight?

you are speculating and wrong...

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 2nd December 2005, 17:33   #65  |  Link
CruNcher

As many of you allready realized moonlights H.264 codec isn't in development any more and should be listed as (abonded) and sure the're encoders/decoders on that list that are based on licenseing the H.264 Sdks from Mainconcept/Elecard out to ISVs that don't wan't to invest the research to implement support in their Products for H.264, testing those again will be mostly a waste of time. For Sony that is bitter and could mean (i don't say it is so) that they don't belive in their own H.264 implementation and if you see the latest task they doing in the Blue-Ray Case moveing back to Mpeg-2 it seems as they don't want to invest much research anymore into H.264 so licensing others High Quality Researched SDKs is easier for them.

For Sony it's easy to forsee what their Strategy in cases of H.264 is Devices that have enough Space as Blue-Ray will use MPeg-2 and Devices that are in the Handheld criteria that run under low bandwith considerations as the PSP will use Mpeg-4 ASP/AVC and to me on a economical standpoint that is a logical stepp, Chips that will allow higher compression of Data will only bee seen on Devices that need them and Blue-Ray isnt such a device Product Costs could be minimized this way tremendously in every class, we mostly will see H.264 in STBs and for HD-DVD and as i said handheld low bandwith devices as Cellphones and Portable Media Stuff. But it would be non logic to use Higher Compression in a Device that has enough Bandwith and Space so it wouldn't need it and im sure Hollywood will see it the same way.

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 2nd December 2005 at 17:51.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2005, 17:46   #66  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruNcher
As many of you allready realized moonlights H.264 codec isn't in development any more and should be listed as (abonded)
well moonlight is trying to sell their stuff, maybe someone will pick it up and continue developing it (their decoder is definitely very good)

Quote:
and sure the're encoders/decoders on that list that are based on licenseing the H.264 Sdks from Mainconcept/Elecard out to ISVs that don't wan't to invest the research to implement support in their Products for H.264, testing those again will be mostly a waste of time. For Sony that is bitter and could mean (i don't say it is so) that they don't belive in their own H.264 implementation and if you see the latest task they doing in the Blue-Ray Case moveing back to Mpeg-2 it seems as they don't want to invest much research anymore into H.264 so licensing others High Quality Researched SDKs is easier for them.
well again, i till now didnt see any proove that sony uses elecard/mainconcept. yes they seem to use "mch264dec.dll 1.1.27.0 H.264 Video Decoder Wrapper Copyright© MainConcept" and "h264vout.dll 1.1.24.0 H264 Video Wrapper Copyright© MainConcept"

now this still doesnt proove they also use the elecard encoder/decoder

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 2nd December 2005, 22:20   #67  |  Link
Hyper Shinchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruNcher
As many of you allready realized moonlights H.264 codec isn't in development any more and should be listed as (abonded) and sure the're encoders/decoders on that list that are based on licenseing the H.264 Sdks from Mainconcept/Elecard out to ISVs that don't wan't to invest the research to implement support in their Products for H.264, testing those again will be mostly a waste of time. For Sony that is bitter and could mean (i don't say it is so) that they don't belive in their own H.264 implementation and if you see the latest task they doing in the Blue-Ray Case moveing back to Mpeg-2 it seems as they don't want to invest much research anymore into H.264 so licensing others High Quality Researched SDKs is easier for them.

For Sony it's easy to forsee what their Strategy in cases of H.264 is Devices that have enough Space as Blue-Ray will use MPeg-2 and Devices that are in the Handheld criteria that run under low bandwith considerations as the PSP will use Mpeg-4 ASP/AVC and to me on a economical standpoint that is a logical stepp, Chips that will allow higher compression of Data will only bee seen on Devices that need them and Blue-Ray isnt such a device Product Costs could be minimized this way tremendously in every class, we mostly will see H.264 in STBs and for HD-DVD and as i said handheld low bandwith devices as Cellphones and Portable Media Stuff. But it would be non logic to use Higher Compression in a Device that has enough Bandwith and Space so it wouldn't need it and im sure Hollywood will see it the same way.
I don't agree with your considerations about AVC and Blue Ray disc (or any other large capability device like BD or HD-DVD).
Using AVC can implement very high quality compared to uncompressed source and lossless compression (but I doubt that they have implemented the lossless option in the BD specs, also if it uses HP@L4 and 4.1 if I'm correct).
They want to use MPEG-2 merely because:
1) they are very very stupid.
2) they want to make it backward compatible with the actual DVB broadcasting (allowing direct recording of DVB material on BD) and wi
th the actual DVD standard (and maybe because they aren't ready to use AVC yet).
At least I think so (or we'll use MPEG-2 for the next twenty years???).
Hyper Shinchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2005, 08:57   #68  |  Link
Sergey A. Sablin

Quote:
well moonlight is trying to sell their stuff, maybe someone will pick it up and continue developing it (their decoder is definitely very good)

well again, i till now didnt see any proove that sony uses elecard/mainconcept. yes they seem to use "mch264dec.dll 1.1.27.0 H.264 Video Decoder Wrapper Copyright© MainConcept" and "h264vout.dll 1.1.24.0 H264 Video Wrapper Copyright© MainConcept"

now this still doesnt proove they also use the elecard encoder/decoder
Ok, lets stop the rumors - _currently_ Sony uses their own AVC encoder. The binaries in Sony Vegas you are refering to is very old Mainconcept AVC encoder/decoder (before joining of Mainconcept with Elecard) that was released 8-10 month ago. Those binaries aren't used inside Sony Vegas.
Sergey A. Sablin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2005, 23:08   #69  |  Link
DmitriyV2
MSU G&M Lab

Thanks for info! I'l update list soon with removing of products to separate post (this will save place for info about codecs).
DmitriyV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2005, 10:56   #70  |  Link
CruNcher

http://www.tandbergtv.com/productview.asp?n=68 <- missing
http://focus.ti.com/dsp/docs/dspplat...749&tabId=1398 <- missing
http://www.broadcom.com/products/Cab...Chips/BCM7411D <- missing

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 7th January 2006 at 16:29.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2006, 23:31   #71  |  Link
DmitriyV2
MSU G&M Lab

1) Was only http://www.tandbergtv.com/productview.asp?n=65 Replaced to product page.
2) Thanks! Added!
3) Was BCM7411, Ok! replaced to BCM7411D

+ SPIRIT H.264

64 list items now!

Enjoy!
Old 6th April 2006, 00:26   #72  |  Link
BetaBoy
CoreCodec Founder

DmitriyV2... can you add:

CoreAVC H.264 Video Codec (CoreCodec, Inc.)
DirectX filter
http://www.coreavc.com/

http://corecodec.com
BetaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2006, 00:48   #73  |  Link
DmitriyV2
MSU G&M Lab

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaBoy
DmitriyV2... can you add:
CoreAVC H.264 Video Codec (CoreCodec, Inc.)
DirectX filter
http://www.coreavc.com/
Added!

Added also on http://www.compression-links.info/Li...deo_Codec_.htm
Description update welcome! (Only with confirmed info, please).

65 list items now! Enjoy!
Old 6th April 2006, 13:58   #74  |  Link
BetaBoy
CoreCodec Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmitriyV2
Added!

Added also on http://www.compression-links.info/Li...deo_Codec_.htm
Description update welcome! (Only with confirmed info, please).

65 list items now! Enjoy!
Thx... i'll let you know when our Demo version is available next month.

http://corecodec.com
BetaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2006, 09:48   #75  |  Link
wiak

site for Minimal H.264 decoder is down
did someone catch the sourcecode?
Old 15th August 2006, 12:36   #76  |  Link
DmitriyV2
MSU G&M Lab

Fixes:
  1. Fix Ateme link
  2. Fix Elecard link
  3. Fix Moonlight link (site and company closed)
  4. Fix MainConcept link
  5. Fix Popwire description
  6. Fix Pegasus Information Technology Inc. (looks like company closed)
  7. Fix ATI link
  8. Fix Mpegable AVC
  9. Fix Media Excel,
  10. Fix KDDI R&D Labs.
  11. Fix UBLive (was acquired by Scientific Atlanta - now part of Cisco)
  12. Fix Sonic Solutions link & description
  13. Fix Hughes Network Systems link
  14. Fix NEX VISION link
  15. Imagicity now called Video Laboratories Ltd
  16. Fix CoreCodec
  17. Minimal H.264 decoder - link dead
  18. Fix Sony PSP link
  19. Fix Tandberg Telecom link
  20. Fix Envivio 4Caster link
  21. SkyStream Networks Inc. now part of Tanberg Television
  22. Fix Broadcom link
  23. Fix Scientific Atlanta - now part of Cisco
  24. Fix Equator Technologies - now part of PixelWorks
  25. Fix Conexant Systems link
  26. Fix Sigma Designs link
  27. Fix STMicroelectronics link
  28. + ASTRI

Any additional information or corrections are welcome!

Enjoj!

Last edited by DmitriyV2; 17th August 2006 at 11:31.
Old 15th August 2006, 16:16   #77  |  Link
DmitriyV2
MSU G&M Lab

+ CEVA, Inc.

Enjoy!
Old 16th August 2006, 06:33   #78  |  Link
Sergey A. Sablin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmitriyV2
[*]Fix MainConcept link (site and company closed)
What doesn mean company closed? Seems like you want to place this in front of Moonlight, isn't it?
And please remove the comment - MainConcept uses latest MainConcept's encoder, not "Elecard Encoder H.264 from March 2005". Thanks.
Sergey A. Sablin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2006, 17:55   #79  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergey A. Sablin
And please remove the comment - MainConcept uses latest MainConcept's encoder, not "Elecard Encoder H.264 from March 2005". Thanks.
well mainconcept uses the encoder developed by elecard, no?

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 17th August 2006, 11:30   #80  |  Link
DmitriyV2
MSU G&M Lab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergey A. Sablin
What doesn mean company closed? Seems like you want to place this in front of Moonlight, isn't it?
Sorry! Bug in "List of fixes". MainConcept & Moonlight was swapped. Main list was correct.

Fixed!