Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th January 2023, 07:59   #201  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdalacu View Post
Hi!
Just to be clear, we are talking about Bulk mode, right?
Thanks!
Sorry, no we donīt. I have never used Bulk Mode, I simply have no use for it...

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2023, 09:27   #202  |  Link
mdalacu

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
Sorry, no we donīt. I have never used Bulk Mode, I simply have no use for it...

Cheers
manolito
A..ok. Auto gain in bulk mode was requested some posts up. It basically normalize all the audio files and you can put an offset to it if you want.

Regarding chapters i will think of something...
Until then you can edit an text file and add the metadata to the output file.

The file should be formated like the one from attachment.
Addit to source files and then put in "More" at "Other Out", "map_chapters 1" Where 1 is the index of the source file, the metadata txt file that you add it.
It is convoluted, i know.
Attached Files
File Type: txt ffmetadata.txt (240 Bytes, 39 views)
mdalacu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2023, 16:09   #203  |  Link
mdalacu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReinerSchweinlin View Post
I have a small request:

When batch transcoding, would it be possible to set "autogain" so every audio is normalized?

Thanx for considering !
Hi. Could you test the requested functionality and provide some feedback please?
Use the file from a couple of posts up.
Thanks.
Old 13th January 2023, 12:23   #204  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Regarding chapters i will think of something...
Until then you can edit an text file and add the metadata to the output file.

The file should be formated like the one from attachment.
Addit to source files and then put in "More" at "Other Out", "map_chapters 1" Where 1 is the index of the source file, the metadata txt file that you add it.
It is convoluted, i know.
Thanks, but your attachment has not been approved so far. Please correct me if I am wrong, but AFAIK FFmpeg uses a very different method to name chapter points than most othere methods I am aware of.

The FFmpeg chapter points are based on frame numbers while all other methods I am aware of are based on absolute time codes. This makes the FFmpeg method hard to use, the chapter point values will change whenever source and target fps are not identical, and for variable frame rate clips this is a total nightmare.

The other methods I am aware of use absolute time stamps for the chapters which are independent from the frame rate. Much easier to handle.

MkvToolNix can use either fixed chapters at a defined time distance, or it can use chapter files in either the OGM or the XML format. For my needs the simple OGM format is all I need.

So I think that you should not waste any time on implementing chapters in dmMediaConverter, use the existing implementations instead...

Cheers
manolito
Old 13th January 2023, 14:15   #205  |  Link
mdalacu

Quote:
Thanks, but your attachment has not been approved so far. Please correct me if I am wrong, but AFAIK FFmpeg uses a very different method to name chapter points than most othere methods I am aware of.

The FFmpeg chapter points are based on frame numbers while all other methods I am aware of are based on absolute time codes. This makes the FFmpeg method hard to use, the chapter point values will change whenever source and target fps are not identical, and for variable frame rate clips this is a total nightmare.

The other methods I am aware of use absolute time stamps for the chapters which are independent from the frame rate. Much easier to handle.

MkvToolNix can use either fixed chapters at a defined time distance, or it can use chapter files in either the OGM or the XML format. For my needs the simple OGM format is all I need.

So I think that you should not waste any time on implementing chapters in dmMediaConverter, use the existing implementations instead...

Cheers
manolito
Hi!
This was in atachment:
Quote:
;FFMETADATA1
[CHAPTER]
TIMEBASE=1/1000000000
START=0
END=1200000000
title=TitleXXX
[CHAPTER]
TIMEBASE=1/1000000000
START=1200000000
END=25500000000
title=title2
[CHAPTER]
TIMEBASE=1/1000000000
START=25500000000
END=60200000000
title=title3
So, it is time based in ffmpeg, no worry here.
As far as i can see ffmpeg does not support sub chapters...Chapters in chapters. Is something that is used in real world?
Another thing that does not make sense for me is end time of a chapter.
Can chapter be interlaced and not sequential?
Thx
Old 17th January 2023, 14:59   #206  |  Link
mdalacu

Quote:
I do need chapters to make up for some stupid players which provide no way to navigate within longer clips.

Cheers
manolito
Hi manolito.
I have implemented a basic chapter editor.
Please test it an tell me how it fits your workflow. Is it any good?
You can
1. Drop chapter information
2. Copy chapters from another file or the same file
3. Manual add chapters or import them from a source file and than edit them.
FFMPEG does not support sub-chapters.

Just redownload dmMediaConverter.exe from here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g93...ew?usp=sharing

Thank you.
Old 18th January 2023, 13:00   #207  |  Link
manolito

Hi Marius,

spent some time this morning with your latest test version, a little rough at the edges, but much potential...

I did not test the first option "Drop Chapters Information". Which format does this option expect for the chacters?

The second option did not do much for my needs, too.

The last option "Manual Add Chapters" is probably the one I need. Scrolling through source video and select chapter points visually is very useful and works well. The feature I miss is a very simple option "Create Chapter every XX minutes". Should be easy to add such an option.

Otherwise there are some stability issues, it was easy to crash the software by clicking an option which was not supported in this mode. But the worst what happened was that the software shut itself down, no corrupted HDD or worse.

Also a few times after the conversion had finished, the software shut itself down. But the conversion result was fine, so I am not sure if this new behavior is intentional...

One cosmetic thing I noticed was an incomplete chapter result in MediaInfo. The chapter times were displayed, but the fields for the chapter numbers were empty. No big deal.

I believe this chapters feature will be very useful, thanks again.

Cheers
manolito
Old 18th January 2023, 15:47   #208  |  Link
mdalacu

Quote:
Hi Marius,

spent some time this morning with your latest test version, a little rough at the edges, but much potential...

I did not test the first option "Drop Chapters Information". Which format does this option expect for the chacters?

The second option did not do much for my needs, too.

The last option "Manual Add Chapters" is probably the one I need. Scrolling through source video and select chapter points visually is very useful and works well. The feature I miss is a very simple option "Create Chapter every XX minutes". Should be easy to add such an option.

Otherwise there are some stability issues, it was easy to crash the software by clicking an option which was not supported in this mode. But the worst what happened was that the software shut itself down, no corrupted HDD or worse.

Also a few times after the conversion had finished, the software shut itself down. But the conversion result was fine, so I am not sure if this new behavior is intentional...

One cosmetic thing I noticed was an incomplete chapter result in MediaInfo. The chapter times were displayed, but the fields for the chapter numbers were empty. No big deal.

I believe this chapters feature will be very useful, thanks again.

Cheers
manolito
Hi! Thank you for testing this!
Drop means that ffmpeg will not do the default behavior and copy chapter information from the first source file, but discard all chapters, basically output file will have no chapters information.
Please redownload from the same source and test it again, if this stability of the software is ok now.
I will think of something in the following weeks about adding this option to add chapters every X seconds.
There is no field in ffmpeg regarding chapter number, it is done automatically by ffmoeg.
Thanks and waiting four your feedback.

Last edited by mdalacu; 18th January 2023 at 15:56.
Old 19th January 2023, 14:32   #209  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Hi! Thank you for testing this!
Drop means that ffmpeg will not do the default behavior and copy chapter information from the first source file, but discard all chapters, basically output file will have no chapters information.
Thanks for the clarification, I completely misinterpreted the meaning of this option. When I saw the word "Drop" I saw it as "Drag and Drop" and looked for information how to take chapter information from a separate file and drop it on the "Drop" field. Sorry for my misinterpretation.

Otherwise the previous instability has been fixed, thanks. I believe that the last "Manual Add Chapters" could be simplified a little bit. IMO chapter end points should be omitted, a chapter always ends when the next chapter begins or EOF is reached. And the "Chapter Name" field could be populated automatically with something like "Chapter 01" where the chapter number is generated automatically.

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 20th January 2023 at 11:50.
Old 23rd January 2023, 13:17   #210  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Quote:
Hi. Could you test the requested functionality and provide some feedback please?
Use the file from a couple of posts up.
Thanks.
Hi,

sorry, mail notification does not work, so I did see the post just now...
I will check and get back

Thanx!
Regards
ReinerSchweinlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2023, 17:03   #211  |  Link
mdalacu

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification, I completely misinterpreted the meaning of this option. When I saw the word "Drop" I saw it as "Drag and Drop" and looked for information how to take chapter information from a separate file and drop it on the "Drop" field. Sorry for my misinterpretation.

Otherwise the previous instability has been fixed, thanks. I believe that the last "Manual Add Chapters" could be simplified a little bit. IMO chapter end points should be omitted, a chapter always ends when the next chapter begins or EOF is reached. And the "Chapter Name" field could be populated automatically with something like "Chapter 01" where the chapter number is generated automatically.

Cheers
manolito
Hi Manolito! :-)
I will not remove END times column but it is not required to be completed. The app will do it automatically.
I have added the option to auto add chapter names.
If you insert new chapters, since the list is sorted, chapter names could become mangled. So right click on the list and choose "Remove chapter names" and then choose "Auto complete chapter names" and all will be in proper order.
Also, there you will find two new functions.
The beauty of it is that all of this can be use in Bulk mode!
Please, test it and provide me some much appreciated feedback.
Thank you!
Just redownload the exe file.
Old 23rd January 2023, 17:09   #212  |  Link
mdalacu

Quote:
Hi,

sorry, mail notification does not work, so I did see the post just now...
I will check and get back

Thanx!
Regards
Hey! No problem! :-)
Waiting for your feedback
Thank you!
Old 23rd January 2023, 23:39   #213  |  Link
manolito

Hi Marius,

so far I only had time for a couple of test conversions using my preferred mode of one chapter every 300 or 360 seconds (every 5 or 6 minutes), and this worked perfectly for a couple of source files. Output was either MKV or MP4, no problems with either of these formats.

I believe that this version is a winner, IMO ready for prime time. Maybe others will find some issues, but for me it is time to remove MkvToolNix from my standard conversion chain.

Thank you so much from a happy customer.

Cheers
manolito
Old 25th January 2023, 08:28   #214  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Quote:
Hey! No problem! :-)
Waiting for your feedback
Thank you!
I took a DVD out of the shelf with a few audiotracks on them, commentary being very low on volume and AC3 Formats. Good candidate for a test. So tossed it into batch mode window.

All went well. Scanning the Audio Tracks takes a little, after that the job is added to the qeue and is good to go and finishes as expected:

I was wondering about the speed, it was roughly 9x realtime on a 1950 Threaripper with a SATA SSD - with the video simply copied and three AC3 Audio Streams being converted to AAC. This could be faster I guess, but if any, thats an ffmpeg issue and at the end it doesnīt matter a lot. Its working

Thanx for this great addition !! It makes batch encoding even more useful on your nice tool

I just got a new GEN30 Nvidia Card and was toying with the NVENC Encoders. I am used to NVENCC user interfaces and options - not sure about the ffmpeg options, which I beleive are different syntax and settings. Could you take a look at the dropdown options for nvenc encoding ? AFAIK the options listed are outdated.

Thanx!
Attached Images

Old 25th January 2023, 10:26   #215  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

I did prepare a preset for batch encoding with x264 set to Q=23. While encoding, the status line shows "Q=28". Some mixup with my ffmpeg versions?

Addition: Checked the resulting file with mediainfo - it reports Q crf=23 .....

Quote:
Name=V. Dimension20
V_CB_Encoder_index=0
V_CB_Framerate_index=0
V_RG_Enc_Type_index=0
V_TB_RF_position=23
V_ChkB_2pass_checked=0
V_ChkB_Turbo1P_checked=0
V_h264_Preset_index=8
V_h264_Tune_index=0
V_h264_Profile_index=0
V_h264_Level_index=0
V_h264_Params_text=
V_SE_Bitrate_Value=800
V_Filter=scale=-2:720
PS_ChkB_Deinterlace_Checked=0
PS_ChkB_Deshake_Checked=0
PS_ChkB_Grayscale_Checked=0
PS_ChkB_Crop_Checked=0
PS_SE_Crop_UP_Value=0
PS_SE_Crop_DOWN_Value=0
PS_SE_Crop_LEFT_Value=0
PS_SE_Crop_RIGHT_Value=0
PS_ChkB_Scale_Checked=1
PS_SE_Scale_Height_Value=720
PS_SE_Scale_Width_Value=-2
PS_CB_Rotate_ItemIndex=0
PS_TB_Screenshot_Position=33
PS_Edt_MoreFilters_Text=
PS_Sub_ChkB_Burn_Checked=0
PS_Sub_SG_Row=0
PS_Sub_CB_Charenc_ItemIndex=0
PS_Sub_Edt_original_size_Text=
PS_Sub_Edt_force_style_Text=
PS_WM_ChkB_Burn_Checked=0
PS_WM_SG_Row=0
PS_WM_Edt_seek_Text=
PS_WM_Edt_loop_Text=
PS_WM_SE_overlayTop_Value=0
PS_WM_SE_overlayLeft_Value=0
PS_WM_SE_scaleWidth_Value=-1
PS_WM_SE_scaleHeight_Value=-1
PS_EQ_ChkB_EQ_Checked=0
PS_EQ_TB_Contrast_Position=100
PS_EQ_TB_Brightness_Position=0
PS_EQ_TB_Saturation_Position=100
PS_EQ_TB_Gamma_Position=100
PS_EQ_TB_GammaR_Position=100
PS_EQ_TB_GammaG_Position=100
PS_EQ_TB_GammaB_Position=100
PS_EQ_TB_GammaWeight_Position=100
Attached Images

Last edited by ReinerSchweinlin; 25th January 2023 at 10:51.
Old 25th January 2023, 15:26   #216  |  Link
mdalacu

Quote:
Hi Marius,

so far I only had time for a couple of test conversions using my preferred mode of one chapter every 300 or 360 seconds (every 5 or 6 minutes), and this worked perfectly for a couple of source files. Output was either MKV or MP4, no problems with either of these formats.

I believe that this version is a winner, IMO ready for prime time. Maybe others will find some issues, but for me it is time to remove MkvToolNix from my standard conversion chain.

Thank you so much from a happy customer.

Cheers
manolito
Thank you again Manolito! :-)
Old 25th January 2023, 15:27   #217  |  Link
mdalacu

Quote:
I took a DVD out of the shelf with a few audiotracks on them, commentary being very low on volume and AC3 Formats. Good candidate for a test. So tossed it into batch mode window.

All went well. Scanning the Audio Tracks takes a little, after that the job is added to the qeue and is good to go and finishes as expected:

I was wondering about the speed, it was roughly 9x realtime on a 1950 Threaripper with a SATA SSD - with the video simply copied and three AC3 Audio Streams being converted to AAC. This could be faster I guess, but if any, thats an ffmpeg issue and at the end it doesnīt matter a lot. Its working

Thanx for this great addition !! It makes batch encoding even more useful on your nice tool

I just got a new GEN30 Nvidia Card and was toying with the NVENC Encoders. I am used to NVENCC user interfaces and options - not sure about the ffmpeg options, which I beleive are different syntax and settings. Could you take a look at the dropdown options for nvenc encoding ? AFAIK the options listed are outdated.

Thanx!
Hi. I can not see the picture...attachment pending approval ... since this morning.
Old 25th January 2023, 15:27   #218  |  Link
mdalacu

Quote:
I did prepare a preset for batch encoding with x264 set to Q=23. While encoding, the status line shows "Q=28". Some mixup with my ffmpeg versions?

Addition: Checked the resulting file with mediainfo - it reports Q crf=23 .....
I think it is the difference between quantization and CRF
Old 27th January 2023, 09:39   #219  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Quote:
Hi. I can not see the picture...attachment pending approval ... since this morning.
Its only a screenshot of two audiotracks, one being louder than the other
bottom Line: Auto gain of multiple channels in batch mode works

Last edited by ReinerSchweinlin; 27th January 2023 at 09:50.
Old 27th January 2023, 14:23   #220  |  Link
mdalacu

Quote:
Its only a screenshot of two audiotracks, one being louder than the other
bottom Line: Auto gain of multiple channels in batch mode works
Great!

Tags
ffmpeg, frontend, gui, handbrake, linux