Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 18th April 2007, 11:10   #281  |  Link
delacroixp
Emperor building empire

Is it possible to reset the DAR signalling ?

Sometimes I incorrectly set the DAR resolution or aspect ratio and then re-calculate with SeeMoreDigital's Aspect Ratio Signalling (ARS) Calculation Tool.
Is it possible to reset the few signalling bytes rather than to remux the entire movie project ?

Pascal
Old 18th April 2007, 15:19   #282  |  Link
bob0r
Pain and suffering

@Mosu:

If that was a message to me:
That error occurs with:
George.Gently.2007.BBC-HD.1080p.H.264.AC3.2.0.h264
demuxed with elecard xmuxer pro.

(mplayer is crap when it comes to demuxing)

.h264 or .h264 and .ac3 together, both crash.

But yeah, direct .ts support would be great!

Edit for below:
@DreckSoft
Yup, it seems a pure size/memory issue, but it should be fixed soon now, as Mosu has a 12GB file

Last edited by bob0r; 18th April 2007 at 19:21.
Old 18th April 2007, 16:12   #283  |  Link
DreckSoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
Damn, I should have read your message sooner. The reason why mkvmerge eats such huge amounts of memory is because it doesn't support MPEG transport streams. It mis-detects your file as a raw AVC elementary stream and tries to parse the file that way. I will add detection of transport streams to mkvmerge so that it'll abort with an appropriate error message and not display this behaviour.
The problem also exists on raw 264 streams from HD-DVDs.
Old 20th April 2007, 15:41   #284  |  Link
bob0r
Pain and suffering

@Mosu

Haali has managed to "work-around" on the broken H.264 MBAFF .ts file you got also.

So if you can/want to make .ts as import support, you can ask Haali what he did to make it working.

Haali splitter on broken H.264 MBAFF .ts file:
1: allows seeking using mpc
2: allows muxing with gdsmux.exe (so direct .ts to .mkv works now)
Old 22nd April 2007, 19:48   #285  |  Link
Isochroma

Some suggested improvements for mkvmerge GUI:

1. Attachments. When an MKV file is added, the tracks are shown and can be checked/unchecked. However, any attached files are not shown in the Attachments box under the Attachments tab.

This should be made to work just like the tracks in the Input tab. All attached files, from all MKV files dropped into the window would be listed in the Attachments box, with check boxes to their left, checked by default.

2. Timecodes. MKV files with timecodes attached to their track(s) don't show up as such, though remuxing the track(s) will preserve the timecodes.

Suggested fix: Timecodes line becomes a drop-down selector box, containing the timecodes (if already existing), and any selected by the Browse... button. Only one in the list can be selected, of course.
Old 23rd April 2007, 07:29   #286  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by delacroixp View Post
Is it possible to reset the few signalling bytes rather than to remux the entire movie project ?
Not with mkvmerge. mkvmerge is a (re)mux tool, not a property editor.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 23rd April 2007, 07:31   #287  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isochroma View Post
Some suggested improvements for mkvmerge GUI:

1. Attachments. When an MKV file is added, the tracks are shown and can be checked/unchecked. However, any attached files are not shown in the Attachments box under the Attachments tab.

This should be made to work just like the tracks in the Input tab. All attached files, from all MKV files dropped into the window would be listed in the Attachments box, with check boxes to their left, checked by default.
Yeah, I know... Won't happen due to lack of time.

Quote:
2. Timecodes. MKV files with timecodes attached to their track(s) don't show up as such, though remuxing the track(s) will preserve the timecodes.

Suggested fix: Timecodes line becomes a drop-down selector box, containing the timecodes (if already existing), and any selected by the Browse... button. Only one in the list can be selected, of course.
You're assuming that the timecode files are somehow stored in a Matroska file, which they aren't. mkvmerge uses the information from a timecode file and calculates the actual timecodes from it. Therefore there's no way to tell from the final Matroska file that a timecode file was used in the first place, much less so what its contents were.

Old 23rd April 2007, 13:34   #288  |  Link
delacroixp
Emperor building empire

@Mosu

Quote:
much

I downloaded the MKV Shell Extension and TCMP CDL but I don't know whether that would help... or how...

Pascal

... so maybe a 'property editor' would do the trick... 2 or 3 minutes of remuxing is no big deal but getting-it-right would be kewl...
Old 23rd April 2007, 13:46   #289  |  Link
robU*4

Quote:
much

I downloaded the MKV Shell Extension and TCMP CDL but I don't know whether that would help... or how...

Pascal

... so maybe a 'property editor' would do the trick... 2 or 3 minutes of remuxing is no big deal but getting-it-right would be kewl...
The Shell Extension would be the tool but it's not 100% compliant and safe. So I think the best way is to remux the file. Is it so much more work ?

Maybe when we have a tag-only app to tag matroska files it could also update safely that kind of information.
Old 23rd April 2007, 17:43   #290  |  Link
delacroixp
Emperor building empire

@robU*4

Quote:
Originally Posted by robU*4 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sometimes I incorrectly set the DAR resolution or aspect ratio and then re-calculate with SeeMoreDigital's Aspect Ratio Signalling (ARS) Calculation Tool.
The Shell Extension would be the tool but it's not 100% compliant and safe. So I think the best way is to remux the file. Is it so much more work ?

Maybe when we have a tag-only app to tag matroska files it could also update safely that kind of information.
much... I hope the Shell Extension works out... I guess more work is better than less.
The tag-only app seams the way to go...

Pascal
Old 24th April 2007, 20:42   #291  |  Link
Isochroma

Today I decided to test remuxing a file without renaming it. The first message I get is:
"The output file 'filename.mkv' already exists. Do you want to overwrite it?"
However, when I click the Yes button, the next error reported is:
"filename.mkv' and of one of the input files is the same. This would cause mkvmerge to overwrite one of your input files. This is most likely not what you want."
It seems redundant that I get two messages, when I could get none at all, if the overwrite method were changed to the following:
1. check if outputfilename == inputfilename (including path) [add case check for case-sensitive filesystems here]

2. if yes, check if silent-overwrite is enabled (new item in preferences). if yes, go to 4, if no continue.

3. ask to overwrite outputfilename. if yes, go to 4

4. overwrite old file with new, by either:
a0.1 check that path+filename of 'filename-old.mkv' is no longer than filesystem maxlength
a0.2 if so, report error & abort, otherwise continue
a1 rename the old file 'filename-old.mkv'
a2 write the new file as 'filename.mkv'
a3 delete 'filename-old.mkv'
or
b0.1 check that path+filename of 'filename-new.mkv' is no longer than filesystem maxlength
b0.2 if so, report error & abort, otherwise continue
b1 write the new file as 'filename-new.mkv'
b2 delete the old file 'filename.mkv'
b3 rename the new file to 'filename.mkv'
It is also possible to modify the binary contents of a file, even changing its length, if the correct OS APIs are called. This would not entail the need for double the space, as the previous method would. However, the previous method is much simpler and should only take a few minutes to implement.

The reason I suggest this improvement, is because I overwrite many mkv files making minor modifications to track names, languages, etc. every day. When this needs to be done, I have to add an extra character to the output filename, mux, delete the original, then rename the new file back, all manually.

This need not be the case; just think how annoying it would be if you had to do this every time you saved a Word document, .txt file, etc.

Last edited by Isochroma; 24th April 2007 at 20:52.
Old 25th April 2007, 11:04   #292  |  Link
delacroixp
Emperor building empire

@Isochroma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isochroma View Post
Today I decided to test remuxing a file without renaming it. The first message I get is:
"The output file 'filename.mkv' already exists. Do you want to overwrite it?"

Solution:
1. check if outputfilename == inputfilename (including path) [add case check for case-sensitive filesystems here]

2. if yes, check if silent-overwrite is enabled (new item in preferences). if yes, go to 4, if no continue.

3. ask to overwrite outputfilename. if yes, go to 4

4. overwrite old file with new, by either:
a0.1 check that path+filename of 'filename-old.mkv' is no longer than filesystem maxlength
a0.2 if so, report error & abort, otherwise continue
a1 rename the old file 'filename-old.mkv'
a2 write the new file as 'filename.mkv'
a3 delete 'filename-old.mkv'
or
b0.1 check that path+filename of 'filename-new.mkv' is no longer than filesystem maxlength
b0.2 if so, report error & abort, otherwise continue
b1 write the new file as 'filename-new.mkv'
b2 delete the old file 'filename.mkv'
b3 rename the new file to 'filename.mkv'
Perhaps, a catch-all solution might be to rename the file 'filename.mux.mkv' right from the start... as implemented in the DivX Mux GUI, leaving the user to rename, relocate or whatever... and possibly renaming 'filename.remux.mkv' as a 2nd refinement in the case of a single file modification.

The idea of creating a temp muxing file and replacing the old one is pretty neat... though a further refinement might be to merely rename the old file 'filename.old.mkv'... leaving the user to delete or otherwise make use of...

Last thought... perhaps we could have an 'Output Folder' in Settings... which would forestall much of the aggravation from counter-intuitive, renaming, relocating and overly-complex interaction...

Pascal

Last edited by delacroixp; 25th April 2007 at 11:33. Reason: Last thought
Old 25th April 2007, 14:15   #293  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

I can understand the need for such a behaviour, but I don't want to make this overly complicated. Here's what I propose to implement:
  • A new configuration option is added which controls mmg's output file overwriting. The possible values are "ask before overwriting", "overwrite without asking and resolve file name conflicts" and "rename old file before running mkvmerge".
  • "ask before overwriting" is the same behaviour as it has always been. It's also the default setting.
  • "overwrite without asking and resolve file name conflicts" will do the obvious: just overwrite the file if it exists already. If the same name is used for the output file and an input file then the new output file will automatically get a new name in the form "filename.1.mkv"; if that exists, then "filename.2.mkv" etc.
  • "rename before starting mkvmerge" will cause mmg to rename the existing file to "filename.backup-1.ext", if that one exists, then to "filename.backup-2.ext" etc

I can also add another option for setting a default output folder. At the moment mmg uses the path name of the first file that is added as the output folder.

What I don't like and what I will likely not implement is this:

"always rename the muxed file to something like 'filename.mux.mkv" -- This would probably introduce one unneccessary step for a lot of users: removing the ".mux" in the output file name. If the source files are already named correctly then the destination file should be as close to the same name as possible.

Old 25th April 2007, 14:46   #294  |  Link
LeMoi

Quote:
I can understand the need for such a behaviour, but I don't want to make this overly complicated. Here's what I propose to implement:
  • "rename before starting mkvmerge" will cause mmg to rename the existing file to "filename.backup-1.ext", if that one exists, then to "filename.backup-2.ext" etc
And input filename will be corrected in command line ?
Old 25th April 2007, 15:09   #295  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMoi View Post
And input filename will be corrected in command line ?
No, I'm only talking about renaming output files or changing the name mkvmerge will output to. Input files will never, ever be touched.

Old 25th April 2007, 15:17   #296  |  Link
bob0r
Pain and suffering

@Mosu

How is the file going?
Old 25th April 2007, 15:18   #297  |  Link
LeMoi

""rename before starting mkvmerge" will cause mmg to rename the existing file"
Old 25th April 2007, 15:28   #298  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob0r View Post
How is the file going?
I can mux it with mkvmerge using ~65 MB memory tops. I'll have to clean up the source a bit; expect a new build soon.

Old 25th April 2007, 15:30   #299  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMoi View Post
""rename before starting mkvmerge" will cause mmg to rename the existing file"
...the existing output file.

Like I said, mmg will never rename an input file. Why? Because no user expects that a program would rename a file that the program is supposed to just open for reading. Would you like if MS Word would just rename your files whenever you chose "File -> Save"?

Old 25th April 2007, 16:53   #300  |  Link
Brother John
(schein)heilig

I like the idea of those three options. Two thoughts about them:

How about a fourth one: "Use file/segment title as file name if present". That's how I name my files and I'd be really surprised if this wasn't a common way to name output files.

Concerning the "rename before" option. A common scenario: You have a video-only file called c:\movie.mkv (probably encoded by x264.exe or xvid_encraw). When you load this file into mmg to mux audio & Co the name for the muxed file is auto-set to c:\movie.mkv. That's a small flaw even in the current mmg version and it'd conflict directly with the "rename before" option: Existing file to be renamed is the input file, but input file renaming is not allowed.

When lost in BeSweet's options, have a look at the Commandline Reference.
DVD nach MPEG-4 klappt nicht? Verzweifelt? Auf zum Encodingwissen!
Closed Thread