Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2nd February 2010, 08:47   #11  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

First things first: Having to set up a mingw build environment sucks. Big time. I've done it a couple of times and each and every time I spend hours until everything's working fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever-ever View Post
Ok here goes...

I've tried for 5 days to compile mkvtoolnix (or any part thereof) for windows. I compiled it with no hassle on my ubuntu pc, but for some reason i'm having a lot of trouble compiling with either mingw or cygwin.
Use mingw, forget about cygwin. I don't use mingw on Windows myself, I use a mingw cross compilation environment on Ubuntu.

Quote:
All libraries have been compiled under mingw (./configure --prefix=/mingw), except boost, which i'm not sure i've "installed" properly. took a bit of copying and pasting files from here and there to /lib before i could finally get mingw to recognize that i have boost. but it get erros like this (currently only this one):
I usually have to use explicit arguments for configure so that it will find the Boost libraries. Here's my current script for configuring mkvtoolnix:

Quote:
#!/bin/zsh
M=$HOME/prog/video/mingw
TFT=$M/src

test -z $WX && WX=$(cat ~/prog/video/mingw/default_wxwidgets_version)
W=$M/wxWidgets-$WX
test -d $W || {
echo "$W" does not exist
exit 1
}

if pwd | grep -q -E 'nogui$' ; then
WX=""
NOGUI="--disable-gui"
else
WX="--with-wx-config=$W/bin/wx-config"
NOGUI=""
fi

./configure \
--host=i586-mingw32msvc \
--cache-file=config.cache \
--with-extra-includes=$TFT/libebml\;$TFT/libmatroska\;$M/include \
--with-extra-libs=$TFT/libebml/make/mingw32\;$TFT/libmatroska/make/mingw32\;$M/lib \
--with-boost=$HOME/prog/video/mingw/boost \
$WX $NOGUI \
"$@"
As you can see my base path to all mingw stuff (except the compiler itself) is ~/prog/video/mingw

Quote:
Sorry if this is an obvious question, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to fix this.
It isn't, but I cannot help you either; debugging Boost linking problems is one of the areas that suck so much. It might be a couple of reasons:

1. It is missing other libraries that your Boost build requires but that configure does not tell the link check to use.
2. You Boost build has been done with a different/incompatible mingw version and the link check fails due to unknown symbols.
3. The configure script itself cannot find a suitable file (!) to hand over to the link check. Configure itself tries to find the proper name for the Boost libraries because Boost's library names consist of various parts like architecture, multi threading on/off, version etc.

The configure checks I use have only been tested on bash/sh/zsh like shells on Linux. I haven't tested them on Windows with msys or cygwin's bash.

Quote:
PS: "have you tried building boost?", yes, however not with any luck. i tried so by running bootstrap.sh etc., but it doesn't go so well, http://pastebin.com/f761baf28 (forever paste).
I wouldn't suggest building Boost on mingw yourself Mostly because I haven't had much luck with it myself, at least not with my cross compilation environment.

A couple of months ago another user asked for support on building Windows builds. Back then I uploaded my ~/prog/video/mingw tree along with my self-built mingw cross compiler. Those packages won't work anymore (mingw 3.4 cross compiler didn't support Unicode, newer mkvtoolnix versions require Unicode support), but I can create a new tree and upload it along with slightly patched mingw .deb packages for Ubuntu 9.10 64bit if that would help you. It would probably not help you getting mkvtoolnix to compile on Windows with mingw, I guess, but it is a working cross compilation environment.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.