Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 12th June 2012, 08:32   #1  |  Link
disneyschumi

Need Help with HD Encoding and HD to SD and HDi to HDp

HI Friends,

I am complete newbie here and to this subject, i been studying here from past 10 days and its all over the place and i couldn't get the information i wanted,

Here is what i want to do, I have mp4 HD 1080i with average bit-rate at 36mbps footages and .mts HD 1080i footages at 26mbps but are shot at 50 fields being upper field first from Sony EX camera and Mixer, I used Adobe premier cs5 for editing, I directly imported the footages in Premier CS5 and done with editing and CC, now exporting is the the problem I need it as Bluray and as DVD, and Digital Copy to play in my Playstation, I want to know to way to the output in all these format without losing much of quality, Do i need to render as Interlaced DVD and Bluray as source is Interlaced or do i need to convert them to Progressive, If so whts the best way to do that, and Digital copy need to be in Progressive,

Wht is the workflow i need to follow? I am New and Clueless, Hoping to learn much here, and looking for answers, Please help,

Can Rendering and Downscaling HDi into SD in premier will give me gud results?

Regards
disneyschumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 07:24   #2  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Premiere will probably do a terrible job of downscaling - NLEs typically do.

You sound like you need a lot of help

Since you mention things like closed captions, I take it you are a professional user? Do you have any other professional encoding tools available?

Derek
Old 13th June 2012, 09:42   #3  |  Link
Ghitulescu

A lot of noob questions for a professional I would say.

The .MTS files seems to be Blu-ray compatible, at least at the first glance (there are various details to be checked for a 100% compliance). If you got the right template, premiere won't alter the footage, but you may need to do it yourself if the project won't fit a BD25 or BD50.

For downscaling, there are a few good threads here, pick the one you're comfortable with. As Blue_MiSfit said, the downscaling in premiere is not the best solution, but it's there and you can use it without any additional learning investment.
Old 14th June 2012, 07:42   #4  |  Link
disneyschumi

Hi,

Thanks a lot for reply, Well exporting to bluray from those .mts and mp4 is not an issue i can directly do that from premier CS5, but there are few thing i wanted to know, as footage's are interlaced is it Better to export it as Progressive inside CS5? or its better to make Interlaced Bluray?
- Problem is i want a Digital copy which should be progressive, wanted to know whts the best way of doing so?
- Down-scaling HDi to SDi, even with VBR 2 passes and Max Render setting on in CS5 quality is not par,
- Now My Main Question the footages are shot from Sony Ex and some came from Mixing Unit, so its 100s of Short .mts and mp4 footages, thats not an issue when importing it CS5 but whts the work around with other application in this situation?
-I just want to know the right Workflow,

I am extremely sorry for so many question with in a question,

Thanks
Rgards
Old 14th June 2012, 07:45   #5  |  Link
disneyschumi

Well i am professional but More into Animation and VFX not much in Encoding and all, All we use is for Editing is CS5, or FCP,
Old 14th June 2012, 08:07   #6  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyschumi View Post
-I just want to know the right Workflow,
http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/...exporting.html
Old 30th June 2012, 11:09   #7  |  Link
disneyschumi

Hello, brothers..!

I have been studying and following Bellune's incredible tutorials as I try to turn my HD video into a high quality SD production. So far, the tutorial is amazing, and I couldn't live without it.

I'm using AviSynth scripts through VirtualDub, and it is fantastic.

My Workflow is this:
Source Files Edited in Premier and footages are 1080i at 25 Fps being upper field first,
Render out an Mpeg-2 with preset from website (I-FRAME mpeg)
Use "Rendered file" with this script:

MPEG2source("1080p30.d2v")
hd2sd(OutputColorSpace="YUY2")

Load it into VirtualDub
Compress with Larithe (forgive spelling)

But the problem is the lossless SD file coming out of virtualDub seems to have an aspect ration of 5:3 or something not the widescreen 16:9 as the source file, how do i correct this?
Old 30th June 2012, 16:50   #8  |  Link
smok3
brontosaurusrex

you would tell your next encoder to use the appropriate AR flags, assuming that you have an intermediate.