Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 4th September 2022, 22:26   #24861  |  Link
filler56789
SuperVirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by max79 View Post
Hello,
is the any way starting to play such URLs in "LAVSplitterSource":
ftp ://MyPassword@SiteName.com/FolderName/FileName.mp3
AFAIR the "syntax" of that command is incorrect, or rather, incomplete;
try this one instead:

Code:
protocol://username:password@SiteName.domain/directory/filename.MP3

Last edited by filler56789; 6th September 2022 at 10:47. Reason: edit
filler56789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2022, 22:43   #24862  |  Link
filler56789
SuperVirus

<OFF-TOPIC>
Maybe a moderator should clean this thread AND the ffdshow topic too by deleting some posts AND doing some additional "moderator magick" as well :-/
</OFF-TOPIC>

Last edited by filler56789; 4th September 2022 at 22:57.
filler56789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2022, 08:48   #24863  |  Link
max79

Quote:
Originally Posted by filler56789 View Post
try this one instead:
Code:
protocol://username:password@SiteName.domain/directory/filename.MP3
This is it! Thank you very much for your help. Works!
max79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2022, 21:49   #24864  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Enhancealot View Post
No point doing 4:4:4 when even Blu-ray is 4:2:0. All U R doing is WA$TING CPU & file size = LOL!!
So many words, without even knowing the reason I asked 444 support for... kek...

Last edited by tormento; 6th September 2022 at 21:52.
tormento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2022, 21:50   #24865  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balling View Post
Why do you think nvidia added lossless RGB and YCbCr 444 nvenc hevc?
I am actually using lossless HEVC as intermediate files, now that I have proper HW decoding in AVS too.

Let him throw his time. If only we could have a forum option to hide his posts.

Last edited by tormento; 6th September 2022 at 21:53.
tormento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2022, 13:12   #24866  |  Link
Balling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balling View Post
So when atmos open source decoder? https://github.com/VoidXH/Cavern

Brownian motion: https://photos.app.goo.gl/biAubMWnT8AM18Xm6
Nev? Will it be in Lav? I opened and asked to fix 12 bugs in Cavern, I think it is more or less ready.
Balling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2022, 13:37   #24867  |  Link
lvqcl

Will it be in ffmpeg?

Because LAV Filters use ffmpeg for decoding.
lvqcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2022, 23:44   #24868  |  Link
Balling

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvqcl View Post
Will it be in ffmpeg?

Because LAV Filters use ffmpeg for decoding.
https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/sea...s&type=commits

https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/sea...l&type=commits

I am just saying.
Balling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2022, 06:59   #24869  |  Link
flossy_cake

For LAV Video decoder, what do the "deinterlacing mode" and "field order" settings actually do?

I've thrown a ton of videos at various combination of those 2 settings and they never seem to actually do anything.

The only video file I have managed to see a difference with is a 1080p25 file that is incorrectly flagged as progressive and actually contains 1080i25 @ 1:1 cadence. With this particular file, DXVA deinterlacing won't work unless I set LAV to "deinterlacing mode: force" and "field order: top field first". This is with MadVR as the renderer, and MadVR set to enable DXVA deinterlacing via file tag [deint=video].

Am I correct in assuming that those 2 LAV deint settings just set some flags in the decoded video stream which the renderer or DXVA is looking at and making decisions based on those flags? i.e LAV doesn't actually modify the video frames in any way? (I have LAV's "software deint" disabled btw).

This seems relevant but doesn't really answer my question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Let me explain how things are from the view point of a video renderer. The renderer must deal with a wide number of decoders and they all behave differently. Some decoders always set interlaced flags, others never set interlaced flags, again others set them sometimes and sometimes not, depending on user configuration (and the user doesn't always know what he's doing), or depending on the weather or the configuration of the planets. There are typically 2 things that I've seen decoders do:

(1) Either the decoder sets the interlaced flags to 0. If that happens, madVR doesn't know if that is supposed to mean "this file is progressive", or if the decoder is not in the mood to share information, because 0 is also the non-initialized value used by all decoders which never properly fill in these values (like CoreAVC).

(2) Or the decoder sets the flags to "AMINTERLACE_DisplayModeBobOrWeave". Again, this information is more or less useless, because by definition is means "the stream could be totally progressive, or totally interlaced, or a mixture of both". In other words, by setting "AMINTERLACE_DisplayModeBobOrWeave", the decoder pretty much says: "I've no idea whether this file is interlaced or progressive or whatever".

Even though all of the above is quite bad, madVR *still* tries to behave identical to VMR/EVR, which means that if the interlace flags are set to 0, madVR will by default not activate deinterlacing, and if the flags are set to "AMINTERLACE_DisplayModeBobOrWeave", madVR will by default activate deinterlacing, but only after the first interlaced video frame is received. I don't consider this behaviour really alright, but since VMR/EVR are doing it this way, I'm trying to have madVR behave identical.

There is one thing that makes madVR's behaviour different from VMR/EVR: While VMR/EVR always blindly trust the decoder (and thus will stumble when decoders don't set the flags correctly, or not at all), madVR gets itself access to the video bitstream to make its own analyzation of whether deinterlacing is needed or not. If the video bitstream clearly says whether deinterlacing is necessary or not, madVR will value this information higher than the rather non-specific flags described above. I believe this is a good thing, and I challenge anyone to argue otherwise.

If LAV wants to force deinterlacing to on/off, it's easy enough to do that with madVR. There are interlace flags available for that, described by Microsoft, which madVR properly honors. "AMINTERLACE_DisplayModeBobOnly" asks for the whole video stream (every frame) to be deinterlaced, so that would be the correct flag to set to force the renderer to turn deinterlacing on. And "AMINTERLACE_DisplayModeWeaveOnly" asks for the whole video stream to not be deinterlaced, so that would be a good flag to set to force the renderer to turn deinterlacing off. If LAV used these flags, madVR would obey. madVR has supported these flags from the first version deinterlacing was introduced.

Last edited by flossy_cake; 29th September 2022 at 07:02.
flossy_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2022, 10:16   #24870  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

The settings just influence the metadata, indeed. Of course if LAV itself were to deinterlace, it would also obey them. madshi's stance to play fast and loose with the metadata provided by the decoder is not something I care for, and if i set the interlaced flag to 0, I would expect a renderer to act accordingly.
Old 1st October 2022, 04:44   #24871  |  Link
flossy_cake

Is there any chance of considering a filename tagging scheme similar to MadVR so we can turn LAV features on for certain files/folders. eg. [SoftDeint=bwdif], [FieldOrder=tff], [DeintMode=force]. I'd like to use software deint on some problematic files that don't work very well with DXVA deint and MadVR's ivtc. And maybe turn off DXVA2 decoding for certain files as well. Having to manually change the setting through the GUI every time we watch an episode of some show is kind of a dealbreaker.

Last edited by flossy_cake; 1st October 2022 at 05:10.
Old 1st October 2022, 09:39   #24872  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

There are no plans for that. LAV is primarily designed to be used by player software, those can control the configuration, and in theory also support per-file overrides.
Old 1st October 2022, 14:40   #24873  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by flossy_cake View Post
Is there any chance of considering a filename tagging scheme similar to MadVR so we can turn LAV features on for certain files/folders. eg. [SoftDeint=bwdif], [FieldOrder=tff], [DeintMode=force]. I'd like to use software deint on some problematic files that don't work very well with DXVA deint and MadVR's ivtc. And maybe turn off DXVA2 decoding for certain files as well. Having to manually change the setting through the GUI every time we watch an episode of some show is kind of a dealbreaker.
You can easily export LAV registry with each settings and put them (or a shortcut) on the desktop or call them from a batch file. This means that you only have to click on a file to swap settings. I had to do this to switch between audio passthrough and LPCM. Better than accessing LAV config each time.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2022, 21:20   #24874  |  Link
flossy_cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
You can easily export LAV registry with each settings and put them (or a shortcut) on the desktop or call them from a batch file. This means that you only have to click on a file to swap settings. I had to do this to switch between audio passthrough and LPCM. Better than accessing LAV config each time.
Thank you, but the HTPC has to be usable by the average person in our household and they won't remember to click some batch file for certain shows. All they can do is open Kodi , browse for the file and then launch it (which opens with MPC-HC). Perhaps I could configure Kodi to launch batch files or something? But then every single file in the video library would have to be a batch file otherwise it would use whatever settings were applied by the last batch file.

Last edited by flossy_cake; 1st October 2022 at 21:23.
Old 1st October 2022, 22:51   #24875  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by flossy_cake View Post
Thank you, but the HTPC has to be usable by the average person in our household and they won't remember to click some batch file for certain shows. All they can do is open Kodi , browse for the file and then launch it (which opens with MPC-HC). Perhaps I could configure Kodi to launch batch files or something? But then every single file in the video library would have to be a batch file otherwise it would use whatever settings were applied by the last batch file.
I used MCE controller to assign a batch file to a button on my iPad control with iRule when I needed this, it worked well. Event Ghost works well too for this. Of course it's not ideal, but it's easier to ask the user to press on a button than to tell you go into LAV control panel and select the right option.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2022, 23:12   #24876  |  Link
flossy_cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
I used MCE controller to assign a batch file to a button on my iPad control with iRule when I needed this, it worked well. Event Ghost works well too for this. Of course it's not ideal, but it's easier to ask the user to press on a button than to tell you go into LAV control panel and select the right option.
I really appreciate your suggestions, it's just that having to remember to manually intervene on certain files isn't practical enough.

I was thinking, if there was some way to apply LAV settings through the registry while LAV is running, it may be possible to implement a scripted solution which eg. detects when mpc-hc64.exe is running, gets the currently playing filename from mpc's window title, and then applies the custom LAV settings through registry. But I don't think those setting would apply until the next time LAV launches. Perhaps it could be scripted to re-launch MPC & LAV, but then Kodi will see MPC has closed and will exit back to its GUI. And the whole thing is just super convoluted.

edit: I've since learned that LAV's deinterlacing settings can be applied per-file by using an avisynth script, eg.

Code:
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+\plugins64\LSMASHSource.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+\plugins64\BWDIF.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+\plugins64\yadifmod2.dll")

file = "c:\myvideo.mkv"	
audiotrack = -1			# -1 = first track

video = LWLibavVideoSource(source=file, cache=false)
IsInt(audiotrack) ? AudioDub(video, LWLibavAudioSource(source=file, stream_index=audiotrack, cache=false)) : video

BWDIF(field=-2)
# yadifmod2(mode=1)

# save as eg. myvideo.avs and open with MPC-HC

Last edited by flossy_cake; 7th October 2022 at 00:44.
Old 5th October 2022, 11:54   #24877  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

for a TV broadcast with 5.1 AC3 track LAV shows the info "5.1(side)"

what does this "side" here mean?
Old 5th October 2022, 12:22   #24878  |  Link
huhn

there are 2 5.1 (maybe more i know 2) one where the "rear" speaker are "behind" you and one where they are to the "sides" like 7.1 missing the rear speakers.

this file is mastered for side speaker. it knows this form meta data 2 or 4 hexa values or something like that.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2022, 16:05   #24879  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

hm is this a specialty of AC3, compared to DTS? because e.g. in DTS master suite theres only 1 configuration for 5.1 tracks (Ls, Rs)
Old 5th October 2022, 17:20   #24880  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Both Dolby and DTS define a whole list of speaker positions and their naming.

These are the DTS names for channels, and their speaker position according to the DTS specification (degrees relative to your nose when looking at the screen)
Ls/Rs: Left/Right surround, 110 degrees
Lsr/Rsr: Left/Right surround rear, 150 degrees
Lss/Rss: Left/Right surround side, 90 degrees
Lw/Rw: Left/Right wide, 60 degrees

Typically, in 5.1 you'll find Ls/Rs being used (thats what the "side" layout in FFmpeg uses, its named after the WAVE specification which uses plain rear and side names), in older formats the Lsr/Rsr are used sometimes (thats the plain 5.1 in ffmpeg).
In 7.1, its typically both Ls/Rs and Lsr/Rsr, but that can vary.

Dolby defines the channel similarly, but not necessarily with equal angles etc.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 5th October 2022 at 17:22.
nevcairiel is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter