Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 11th November 2019, 09:51   #1  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Firefox Addons

EDIT: Thread name changed from TextArea Cache to FireFox Addons

TextArea Cache

Hi guys, just a recommendation here for Firefox addon "TextArea Cache",

First time I've had to use it and saved me about 20->30 minutes of repeated searching to re-write post after accidental deletion.

I had several different threads open on D9, and accidentally went back to previous page on the wrong tab, result: about 20 to 30 minutes of searching/writing lost.
I clicked on the TextArea Cache tool icon, and it was there just like it was before deletion, this is defo gonna be staying on all my machines, it was there just when I needed it.

It saves copy of text edit boxes of fireFox. [you can give list of websites not to cache eg your on-line banking]
Saved my bacon, perhaps do same for you one day.

EDIT: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/fir...extarea-cache/

Also available for Chrome:- https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...hcmnbmab?hl=en
[not sure if above link will work(may have re-directed to another page), for me it shows correctly that I dont have Chrome installed, so cannot install addon]

reviews (2nd link has two alternative addons, but I'm happy with this one):
https://www.ghacks.net/2019/03/03/ne...extarea-cache/
https://www.raymond.cc/blog/saving-w...our-compouter/

EDIT: You can set it to Not Allow to run in Private Windows (is FireFox controlled Default [unless you changed Firefox default], eg when banking),
I have about a couple of dozen entries all automatically saved since yesterday
(I updated firefox yesterday so none before that, probably for that reason, think it is auto set for 7 day recall).

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 11th November 2019 at 20:46.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2019, 16:32   #2  |  Link
filler56789
SuperVirus

filler56789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2019, 18:50   #3  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Before NEW [only NEW] install of a FireFox addon, clear out your temp folder eg
C:\Users\MyUserName\AppData\Local\Temp\

and just before clicking OK on final (2nd) "Add to FireFox" type alert, look in temp folder, and copy the XPI file, give it another name instead of
eg "xya080adas.xpi" and archive so you can install on another machine (also handy so as to have all addons available
without having to search for them). then can Update as required.
[Can use Firefox "Install Add-on From File" on the Updates drop down menu, can group select & bulk install many xpi's at once].
Will not be in TEMP folder on subsequent updates, first install only.
(XPI will sometimes be removed from TEMP after install, but not always)

filler56789,
You could delete the addon, and new install again should make it available in TEMP folder.

EDIT: Just found this one too, DarkReader:- https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/fir...on/darkreader/

DOCS:- https://darkreader.org/help/en/

First post of this thread using DarkReader [click on thumbnail, then click on larger image to show full size]

EDIT: Should help squeeze a little more battery life out of my Tablet/Laptop thingy [I get about 7/8 hours anyway]

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 2nd January 2020 at 21:58.
Old 11th November 2019, 19:58   #4  |  Link
BetA13
cosmic entity

Thanks.. The "Dark Reader" just replaced "Dark Mode"
Its way better..

Cheers...
BetA13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2019, 20:04   #5  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Yep, and here an example with an image, ie colorbars [from Wonkey_Monkey WaveForm thread]:

EDIT: I guess if you have any recommendations for Add-ons [particularly if useful on the D9], you can post them here.
I've renamed thread to FireFox Addons.

EDIT: And whereas above image is indirect from PostImage.org, below Attachment on Doom9 [FranceBB post in nfv thread Proper PAL Video(not film) to NTSC conversion]

Chopped some off just to get FranceBB name in picture [you know how he likes to see his name in print ].

Last edited by StainlessS; 11th November 2019 at 20:30.
Old 30th November 2019, 01:54   #6  |  Link
BetA13
cosmic entity

Good Article..

Quote:
Firefox WebExtensions - Two years later, functionality test

It's been roughly two years since Firefox 57 was introduced and the abrupt transition to WebExtensions happened. Overnight, a decade of work made by thousands of developers was made obsolete, turning existing extensions into a legacy heap of nostalgia and code, some of it darn good code. We were told that modern times require modern means AKA mobile nonsense, and this is the future........................
more here:
https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/...ars-later.html

this one caught my eye...

Absolute Enable Right Click & Copy
Quote:
It is our fundamental right to right-click. Or so we thought. But in the age of Javascript-laden websites, designed to keep you engrossed in their offering, the ability to do things like a simple right-click > Save As is not a given. Indeed, most social platforms use the right-click for their own menus, and usually, you will not have the option to save videos or images, because that would mean not having to come back again, and/or sign into the platform. Think of any social media, and this will be the case. But then, more and more websites are going this way, making interaction frustrating. At least right-click interaction, he he.

Absolute Enable Right Click & Copy is an extension that allows you to override site-specific commands, and use the generic right-click menu. You can either enable the copy functionality only - or the full override mode, which then disables whatever the website feels is best for you. Now, you can't just re-enable it back once you've taken control, you will need to reload the particular page. But this is something you may want to use now and then.
--> https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefo...e-right-click/
BetA13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2019, 13:36   #7  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Cheers Beta13, keep em coming

Old 1st December 2019, 05:06   #8  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetA13 View Post
Good Article..

more here:
https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/...ars-later.html

this one caught my eye...

Absolute Enable Right Click & Copy

--> https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefo...e-right-click/
I remember the old extension I had that enabled that was called Right To Click. But now it's been built into Firefox for many years, as an about:config setting: dom.event.contextmenu.enabled

Heck, maybe enabling that is all the extension does.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2019, 17:14   #9  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

All that there about:config stuff is a bit obscure, maybe somebody should do an addon to make em all an easy config app.
[with one line of explanation for each opt, maybe, and link to better explanation, maybe exists already].

Last edited by StainlessS; 1st December 2019 at 17:18.
Old 1st December 2019, 22:42   #10  |  Link
littleD

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
All that there about:config stuff is a bit obscure, maybe somebody should do an addon to make em all an easy config app.
[with one line of explanation for each opt, maybe, and link to better explanation, maybe exists already].
Yes, there was already existing Configuration Mania addon, that had pletora of options. I believe there is some poor replacement for this addon, but forgot what site mentioned this.

I was also a long time user of various "hecking" addons.
For old firefox i was using Lazarus form recovery. For now, WebExt i use Form history control II, easy to recover forum posts and forms or any input.
I was also using right to click, Nowaday replacement Right click to copy is essential one

Somehow easy to bring back closed tabs is thanks to Undo closed Tabs Button by clicking on top bar button instead of going through menus.

I use Flagfox for easy identyfiyng site whois, coutry registration flag, alexa (for admins ) and whats not.

Greasemonkey is powerful addon. I used to use many many scripts in old days. My beloved was YT age bypass verification, now i omit this restriction by the other way. But my main script now is Google Search Extra Buttons and some antimalware, antiads.

One of fancy addons category is Link Alert.

My newest addon is Enhancer for Youtube. First of first it is compatible all the time. I use mainly for custom default resolution. Flying videoplayer window is another fancy feature.

I very most miss Tab Mix Plus. The existing webextension is just template. C'mon mozilla guys, how i cannot set tabs in the rows by normal option...? J.. just why?

BTW, i already enabled Webrenderer in about:config, which is not yet official ready for intel on battery, however im happy with it.

OMG. Thanks to this thread i found another awsome extension is back! Its DownThemAll. After all that drama, its Great!, installing now, looking for DTA Anti Container.

Last edited by littleD; 1st December 2019 at 23:07.
littleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2019, 08:24   #11  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Chopped some off just to get FranceBB name in picture [you know how he likes to see his name in print ].
Hahaha I kinda do, but I prefer when it's my real name and is at the end of the TV programmes while they are on air.
A a side note, I made my first documentary for the company I work for which has been released both on the big screen and on TV, so I'm finally gonna be credited on IMDB for the very first time, which for me it's the perfect Christmas Present and a thing I've been waiting for my whole life (not that my life is long, though xD).

Anyway, back on the topic, I like the extension you suggested and it could have saved me several times, especially 'cause I do many other things while I post on Doom9 and sometimes the browser crashed or I closed the wrong tab or I made some other boo boo 'cause it was early in the morning and I needed coffee xD
The good thing is that thanks to you and TextArea Cache that's not gonna happen again.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2019, 11:55   #12  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Me also likes FlagFox, and User Agent Switcher, and usually have several FlashBlock type addons.

Image Block X also is handy [block all images, easy on/off toggle].

Name on IMDB, fame indeed

Keep em comin'.

EDIT: Got about 4, "Print To PDF" type addons, none of them bullet proof [sometimes fail or lousy output].

EDIT: For those of you with delicate sensibilities
Quote:
Detrumpifyby Tools of Our Tools

Removes "Trump" and other unpleasant names from your newsfeed and replaces them with more satisfying nicknames.
Also can replace most Trump images with kittens, puppies, bunnies and some other options.

It has lots of useful configurable features:

* clean, dirty, or mixed insults
* mock-o-matic auto-generated insults, including a Shakespearean "Bard" mode
* optional conversion of Trump images to kittens, puppies, or bunnies
* customizable / optional formatting of insults
* set length restrictions on insults
* set what fraction of Trumps get replaced
* optional for lots of other common RWNJ's
* optionally black-list websites you do not want Detrumpified
* ... and MUCH MUCH MORE!

Last edited by StainlessS; 4th December 2019 at 16:03.
Old 2nd January 2020, 21:49   #13  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

SiteDelta Watch:- https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/fir...ch/?src=search

Suggested in PM by nji, I did say that he should maybe post here, but he has not done so, so I have.

Can enable for a web page and shows differences since last visit, see what edits people have made since last visit.

Perhaps of use to some, although I usually am satified with the "Todays Posts" option on the drop down "Quick Links" item.

EDIT: TextAreaCache (first post) has recently saved me about 3 or four more times, I'm very happy with it.

Last edited by StainlessS; 3rd January 2020 at 03:18.
Old 2nd January 2020, 23:58   #14  |  Link
gonca

@StainlessS
You might like these two
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ox/?src=search
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...17/?src=search

Last edited by gonca; 3rd January 2020 at 00:01.
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2020, 03:29   #15  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Thanks gonco, I already have PrivacyBadger, but not the AnonymoX, I will not be using AnonymoX, because the "Guideline For Proper Use" page comes up as
"Secure Connection Failed" which is a FireFox non overrule-able error, ie cannot view it (also, I'm a bit wary of Proxies).

Old 27th February 2021, 09:15   #16  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

This is not a firefox addon, but is a firefox tweak to restore old behaviour for the HTTPS padlock on address bar
(used to be green but is now grey - a bit disconcerting to not know why its now grey)

From GHacks.net [how-to-restore-the-green-lock-icon-in-firefoxs-address-bar]
https://www.ghacks.net/2019/10/28/ho...s-address-bar/

or simply

Code:
Restore the Firefox green HTTPS security lock color to green

Making Firefox`s padlock icon green again
1    Load about:config in the Firefox address bar.
2    Confirm that you will be careful if a warning screen is displayed.
3    Use the search at the top to find security.secure_connection_icon_color_gray.
4    Toggle the preference so that its value is FALSE.

Restoring Extended Validation Certificate information in Firefox

1    Visit the about:config page again.
2    Search for security.identityblock.show_extended_validation this time.
3    Set the preference to TRUE to enable the display of extended validation information in the browser's address bar.

Display "Not Secure" for sites that don't use HTTPS

1    Visit about:config in the Firefox address bar.
2    Search for security.insecure_connection_text.enabled.
3    Set the value of the preference to TRUE to enable "not secure" or FALSE to disable it.
     Bonus: If you want to apply the change to private browsing connections as well,
      search for security.insecure_connection_text.pbmode.enabled and set the value accordingly.
I feel happier now.

Also,for those wanting to test out security for
1) Firewall
2) ISP port blocking
3) HTTPS Interception Detection (are you being spied upon by your ISP, school, employer, even when banking, passwords etc)

see GRC.Com [Gibson Research, by Steve Gibson, author of SpinRite - been visiting this site for years].

EDIT: Microsoft sells a proxy (cant remember the name) whose specific job is to spy upon a companies employees,
my mate is a sys admin who does not dare use company provided desktops/laptops/phones etc for anything that needs [EDIT: personal] security/privacy.
(He even switches off his company provided phone after work so that they dont know where he is,
big prestigious UK corporation, offices in [I think] 70+ countries, spies on everything)
EDIT: 3) above, is another check for the proxy spy thing that the green security lock of FireFox is for.
MicroSoft's Internet Explorer [and presumably Edge] do not have the security lock thing, as it would expose the use of their despicable proxy whotsit and they like to keep it secret from users to maintain their subterfuge [when you 'squirt' down someones leg, its best to tell them its raining].

Last edited by StainlessS; 28th February 2021 at 14:20.
Old 24th April 2023, 18:12   #17  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

A simple Youtube downloader for FireFox,
"Easy Youtube Video Downloader Express,"
I usually just search for "express" and it come at or near the top of list.

Old 1st May 2023, 02:49   #18  |  Link
alexmain

Quote:
A simple Youtube trends downloader for FireFox,
"Easy Youtube Video Downloader Express,"
I usually just search for "express" and it come at or near the top of list.

Really useful extension. Just switched to it instead of external web site downloader.

Last edited by alexmain; 1st July 2023 at 21:29. Reason: Correction
alexmain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2023, 09:18   #19  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Yep, best of the bunch I think.
Welcome to the forum.

Old 2nd May 2023, 14:41   #20  |  Link
VoodooFX
Banana User

Best is Violentmonkey [or Tampermonkey].

More download options than "express": Local YouTube Downloader.
Another useful for Yolutube: Simple YouTube Age Restriction Bypass.
VoodooFX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
addon, browser, firefox