Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd August 2010, 00:06   #1  |  Link
dragon25

Deflicker / Antiflicker

since there are quite a few filters and plugins, which seem to be out of date etc. what are still around that many of you have tested and still use becuase they are still a success on very bad flickering?
dragon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 00:11   #2  |  Link
Revgen

I would suggest that you post a short sample of the video you are having issues with.

Curly: Burned at the stake!

Moe: Why?

Curly: A hot steak is always better than a cold chop.
Revgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 00:12   #3  |  Link
dragon25

well that would be an issue as its more of an "out there" qeurie as i do not have a specific video that has issues.
dragon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 00:15   #4  |  Link
Revgen

^It's hard to tell you whether a filter is "out of date". Sometimes older filters work better than newer ones on specific material. It's always a matter of trial and error.

Curly: Burned at the stake!

Moe: Why?

Curly: A hot steak is always better than a cold chop.
Revgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 00:55   #5  |  Link
Didée

Very true, and generally so. Even when the issue looks "similar" or "the same", the exact characteristics of pixel differences, and change of pixel differences can be different. Which can, of course, change how different filters will react, since the filters themselves work perhaps similar, but in the end, differently.

What always works is: very strong lowpass on a simple temporal average. (Quickest way: resize to very small size, temporalsoften(much) the small, make difference, resize difference back, apply.) That's almost never the optimal way. But almost always an effective nobrainer.

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)
Didée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 07:25   #6  |  Link
videoFred

Location: Terneuzen, Zeeland, the Netherlands, Europe, Earth, Milky Way,Universe
Fizicks DeFlicker() filter works very effective for me:

But because this is real film, the luminance flicker (I assume caused by the clockwork filmcamera's unstable speed and thus different exposure) is also changing the grain pattern. So to remove the effect completely I had to apply Deflicker() followed by degraining.

Fred.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4QBsWXKuV8
More Example clips:
http://www.vimeo.com/user678523/videos/sort:newest
videoFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 08:00   #7  |  Link
Sid76

I have some video footage which I did with my first video camera I bought 2nd hand back in 1995. (JVC- VHS-C model)
The problem is that scenes done outside, or inside with bright light, are flickering.
This is very annoying since it's random. Not every 2nd frame has lower brightness.
So I am looking for some anti-flicker filter which knows to detect these brightness decrease in some frames and fix it.
Do you have something to suggest? I uploaded the problem to YouTube ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axOde5HjDFQ )

thanks
Sid76 is offline   Reply With Quote