Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 1st March 2010, 23:04   #1  |  Link
uninspired

Streaming h.264 Tearing/Shearing/Flicker

Hey all-

I'm confounded by a problem and I've done a lot of searching to no avail. Essentially, my problem is that my x.264 encodes look fantastic when played in VLC, but have a strange tearing/flickering when they're playing through Flash player (streaming from Brightcove) OR Adobe Media Player (played locally).

This isn't a stuttering/buffering issue, it's just some strange sort of tearing (like part of the frame is trying to catch up). The demarcation is always horizontal.

To make things even more puzzling, the same videos look great when streamed to my Mac (FF or Safari both play perfectly).

Any ideas as to the cause or what specific differences between the Mac/PC Flash player might explain this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-Chris
uninspired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 01:54   #2  |  Link
mackworth

I think its a flash thing, not a x264 thing.

BTW, what version of flash are you using?
mackworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 08:10   #3  |  Link
Selur

had the same issue on a web project I used to help out, switching to another Webplayer (JW Player http://www.longtailvideo.com/players/jw-flv-player/) fixed the problem.
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:02   #4  |  Link
Firebird

Update your flash player, simple as that.
Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 16:50   #5  |  Link
uninspired

My flash player is up to date. In fact, I updated to the new beta just to see and it's still there.

What I did was take a YouTube clip that was playing perfectly and put it through my player and, sure as shite, now it's tearing as well. @Selur: Thanks for the tip.

Sorry if this post was out of place. There were a lot of indications it was a Flash issue, but I guess originally I thought there may be something about the way I was encoding my videos that was making them not work well with Flash.

Thanks again
uninspired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 08:10   #6  |  Link
cogman
The Crazy Idahoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by uninspired View Post
My flash player is up to date. In fact, I updated to the new beta just to see and it's still there.

What I did was take a YouTube clip that was playing perfectly and put it through my player and, sure as shite, now it's tearing as well. @Selur: Thanks for the tip.

Sorry if this post was out of place. There were a lot of indications it was a Flash issue, but I guess originally I thought there may be something about the way I was encoding my videos that was making them not work well with Flash.

Thanks again
As has been said, flash is the problem. Get the latest greatest flash plugin, enable hardware acceleration, and then on your video card enable forced vertical sync (you probably will have to restart your browser) That should fix most tearing problems. (They are generally cause by a lack of double buffering and/or vsync.)
cogman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flash player, flicker, streaming, tearing, x.264