Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 10th November 2008, 13:04   #1  |  Link
2Bdecided

Sharpest HDV>DVD workflow?

I'm trying to nail the conversion from HDV>DVD.

I'm happy with most of it, but the thing I can't crack is making the output look really sharp without ringing. Most of the BBC HD content, when shown in SD, has a "super sharp" kind of look to it. I know they're using slightly better cameras, lenses etc - but the problem I have isn't lack of sharpness, it's ringing when I do sharpen.

In this thread...
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=140776&page=2
...there was a suggestion to use ImageMagik for re-sizing, but I don't understand how to include this into an AVIsynth workflow.

So far, I'm trying things like this...

Code:
# 1440x1080i50 source, bobbed already, so now progressive

# resize:
spline36resize(704,576)

# sharpen horizontally:
limitedsharpenfaster().Sharpen(0.5,0.0)

# prevent interlace twitter:
Blur(0.0,1.0).Sharpen(0.0,0.5)

# re-interlace:
assumetff()
separatefields().SelectEvery(4,0,3).Weave()
...which is sharp, but has ringing. Of course you can remove the Sharpen(0.5,0.0) part, which reduces the ringing, but then it looks soft.

Here an alternative - I think the approach is silly, but it rings slightly less while looking sharper...
Code:
# 1440x1080i50 source, bobbed already, so now progressive

# sharpen HD:
limitedsharpenfaster()
limitedsharpenfaster()
limitedsharpenfaster()

# denoise HD:
mc_spuds()

# resize:
spline36resize(704,576)
limitedsharpenfaster()

# prevent interlace twitter:
Blur(0.0,1.0).Sharpen(0.0,0.5)

# re-interlace:
assumetff()
separatefields().SelectEvery(4,0,3).Weave()
...the HD just before resizing looks terrible, but the resized version looks quite nice!

I understand filtering very well, so I know that sharpness, ringing, and aliasing are all trade-offs - however, lsf manages to cheat the compromise between sharpness and ringing up to a point.

The problem with anamorphic 16x9 PAL is that the pixels are so stretched horizontally than any softness or ringing in the horizontal direction is magnified greatly.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
David.
2Bdecided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2008, 13:25   #2  |  Link
2Bdecided

Here are some images showing:

the original HD
SD without sharpening
SD with lsf+sharpen
SD with lsf four times!

http://rapidshare.de/files/40876150/sharpening.zip.html

Cheers,
David.
Old 10th November 2008, 16:16   #3  |  Link
Sagekilla
x264aholic

Read me: link

Rambling:
There was a thread on this problem a while back, I can't remember where but if you do search you'll find it (I have to sift through the posts a bit to find it for you).

I don't remember the details perfectly, but it has to do with the fact that resizing by that huge of a step makes it hard to represent all the details present in the 1920/1440x1080 frame in a 720x480 frame without introducing artifacts. You usually get aliasing or a soft picture. In your case, when you resharpen the soft image to get back that "sharp" look of HD, you end up introducing ringing. I do know that M4G recommended using a FIR filter to filter out frequencies that were too strong (caused aliasing). So you can removing the aliasing + sharpen without ringing if you do that.

I'll look around and link it when I find it.

Last edited by Sagekilla; 10th November 2008 at 16:22.
Sagekilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2008, 17:06   #4  |  Link
2Bdecided

Sagekilla,

Thanks, but I was in that thread, and other recent ones too. This has come up quite a lot lately.

Most of those discussions were about how to make things sharp in the vertical dimension while avoiding interlaced flicker. I'm quite happy with my results in that respect.

It's the horizontal direction where I want something better. That's why I started a new thread. The H/V resolution discrepancy is worse for "PAL" than for "NTSC" (1.45 PAR instead of 1.21 PAR), which exacerbates the problem.

Cheers,
David.

Last edited by 2Bdecided; 10th November 2008 at 17:09.
Old 10th November 2008, 18:29   #5  |  Link
*.mp4 guy

This is the best I could manage, using an absurdly slow script, and oversharpening the source by a karge margin, then using an extremely sharp interpolator. It dowsn't look much sharper then your lsf X4 image unless you view it fullscreen with mpc or something similar, in which case it looks much sharper.

This is a great example of crap in crap out. The source is very blurry, and you can fix this to an extent, but it will never look as good as something that was never blurry.

if you are willing to go well into sub 1fps range to get this source to look sharp, I'll post the script, but I don't want to waste time trying to find all the dependencies etc. when that probably isn't the case.
*.mp4 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2008, 19:14   #6  |  Link
2Bdecided

Quote:
Originally Posted by *.mp4 guy View Post
This is the best I could manage ... It dowsn't look much sharper then your lsf X4 image unless you view it fullscreen with mpc or something similar, in which case it looks much sharper.
I think you're being too modest - it looks far sharper - and you've made/faked/brought out lots of extra apparent detail too.

Quote:
This is a great example of crap in crap out. The source is very blurry, and you can fix this to an extent, but it will never look as good as something that was never blurry.
The source isn't too bad - the blurriness is because that's a moving shot. When things aren't moving, it's quite sharp on edges, but really lacking "detail / texture" (typical consumer HDV it seems).

I think tgmc makes it a little softer than with mcbob. Here's the same frame mcbob, and another frame with both...

http://rapidshare.de/files/40878996/...ning2.zip.html

Quote:
if you are willing to go well into sub 1fps range to get this source to look sharp, I'll post the script, but I don't want to waste time trying to find all the dependencies etc. when that probably isn't the case.
mp4 guy - I'm intrigued.

I almost daren't ask (I've seen your ~1fps sharpening scripts before!) but can you share? Don't worry about unpicking dependencies just yet if it's too painful - just give me a clue what you're doing.

I think your result will be way too sharp vertically for interlaced display, but that's OK - I can easily blur it vertically! It looks a little grainy too, but a little grain might be OK.

It's the fact you've made the SD version look far more detailed than the HD version that's quite amazing.

Cheers,
David.
Old 10th November 2008, 22:00   #7  |  Link
*.mp4 guy

Well, the script itself is pretty regular, its the functions I used.

Code:
ImageReader("C:\Documents and Settings\\Desktop\sharpening2\4520mcbob.jpg")
spline36resize(1408, 1152).converttoyv12()# automttap3 works best when resizing by factors of 2, though it can resize by any factor aslong as at no point the image is less then 144*144 pizels
limitedsharpenfaster(smode=2, strength=400, ss_x=1, ss_y=1)#modified to use a different sharpening kernel
sssharp(denoise=0, iter=2)#in the avisynth development forum, absurdly slow sharpener
automttap3(704, 576)#a sub function of an interpolation script, uses backprojection to adaptively choose the number of taps to use on a per source pixel pasis, avoidsmost ringing while otherwise performing similarly to high tap lanczos
sssharp

automttap3
Code:
function automttap3(clip clp, int "dx", int "dy", int "mtaps3", int "thresh"){

c = clp
	#g = clp.converttoy8()

dx = default(dx, c.width*2)
	dy = default(dy, c.height*2)
	mtaps3 = default(mtaps3, 1)
	thresh = default(thresh, 256)

t1 = lanczosresize(clp, dx, dy, taps=1)
	t2 = lanczosresize(clp, dx, dy, taps=2)
	t3 = lanczosresize(clp, dx, dy, taps=3)
	t4 = lanczosresize(clp, dx, dy, taps=4)
	t5 = lanczosresize(clp, dx, dy, taps=5)
	t6 = lanczosresize(clp, dx, dy, taps=9)
	t7 = lanczosresize(clp, dx, dy, taps=36)

m1 = mt_makediff(clp, lanczosresize(t1, clp.width, clp.height, taps=1), u=1, v=1)
	m2 = mt_makediff(clp, lanczosresize(t2, clp.width, clp.height, taps=1), u=1, v=1)
	m3 = mt_makediff(clp, lanczosresize(t3, clp.width, clp.height, taps=1), u=1, v=1)
	m4 = mt_makediff(clp, lanczosresize(t4, clp.width, clp.height, taps=2), u=1, v=1)
	m5 = mt_makediff(clp, lanczosresize(t5, clp.width, clp.height, taps=2), u=1, v=1)
	m6 = mt_makediff(clp, lanczosresize(t6, clp.width, clp.height, taps=3), u=1, v=1)
	m7 = mt_makediff(clp, lanczosresize(t7, clp.width, clp.height, taps=6), u=1, v=1)

cp1 = mt_merge(t1.blur(1.42), t2, lanczosresize(mt_lutxy(m1, m2, "x 128 - abs y 128 - abs - "+string(thresh)+" *", u=1, v=1), dx, dy, taps=mtaps3))
	m100 = mt_makediff(clp, bilinearresize(cp1, clp.width, clp.height), u=3, v=3)

cp2 = mt_merge(cp1, t3, lanczosresize(mt_lutxy(m100, m3, "x 128 - abs y 128 - abs - "+string(thresh)+" *", u=1, v=1), dx, dy, taps=mtaps3))
	m101 = mt_makediff(clp, bilinearresize(cp2, clp.width, clp.height), u=3, v=3)

cp3 = mt_merge(cp2, t4, lanczosresize(mt_lutxy(m101, m4, "x 128 - abs y 128 - abs - "+string(thresh)+" *", u=1, v=1), dx, dy, taps=mtaps3))
	m102 = mt_makediff(clp, bilinearresize(cp3, clp.width, clp.height), u=3, v=3)

cp4 = mt_merge(cp3, t5, lanczosresize(mt_lutxy(m102, m5, "x 128 - abs y 128 - abs - "+string(thresh)+" *", u=1, v=1), dx, dy, taps=mtaps3))
	m103 = mt_makediff(clp, bilinearresize(cp4, clp.width, clp.height), u=3, v=3)

cp5 = mt_merge(cp4, t6, lanczosresize(mt_lutxy(m103, m6, "x 128 - abs y 128 - abs - "+string(thresh)+" *", u=1, v=1), dx, dy, taps=mtaps3))
	m104 = mt_makediff(clp, bilinearresize(cp5, clp.width, clp.height), u=3, v=3)

cp6 = mt_merge(cp5, t7, lanczosresize(mt_lutxy(m104, m7, "x 128 - abs y 128 - abs - "+string(thresh)+" *", u=1, v=1), dx, dy, taps=mtaps3))
	m105 = mt_makediff(clp, bilinearresize(cp6, clp.width, clp.height), u=3, v=3)

return(mergechroma(cp6, spline36resize(clp, dx, dy), 1))}
modified lsf
Code:
# LimitedSharpen()   ( a modded version, 29 Oct 2005 )
#
# A multi-purpose sharpener by Didée
#
# 
# Changes in this mod:
#
# - RemoveGrain >= v0.9  IS REQUIRED!!
#   ==================================
#
# - Smode=4   / sometimes does the magic ;-)
# - a separate "undershoot" parameter, to allow for some line darkening in comic or Anime 
# - Lmode=3   / on edges, limited sharpening with zero OS & US. On not-edges, limited sharpening with specified OS + LS
# - "soft" acts different now: no more boolean true/false, but instead integer 0 - 100  (or -1 -> automatic)
#    instead of blurring before finding minima/maxima, it now softens the "effect-of-sharpening"
# - edgemode=-1 now shows the edgemask. (scaling still not implemented :p )
#
## - MODIFIED version using MaskTools 2.0
#modified to use unsharp (from variable blur plugin) for smode2

function LimitedSharpenFaster( clip clp, 
 \                       float "ss_x",   float "ss_y", float "vary", float "varc",
 \                       int   "dest_x", int   "dest_y",
 \                       int   "Smode" , int   "strength", int  "radius", 
 \                       int   "Lmode",  bool  "wide",     int  "overshoot", int "undershoot",
 \                       int   "soft",   int   "edgemode", bool "special",
 \                       int   "exborder" )
{
ox = clp.width
oy = clp.height

vary = default(vary, 1)
varc = default(varc, vary)
Smode     = default( Smode,       3 )
ss_x      = (Smode==4)
 \        ? default( ss_x,      1.25)
 \        : default( ss_x,      1.5 )
ss_y      = (Smode==4)
 \        ? default( ss_y,      1.25)
 \        : default( ss_y,      1.5 )
dest_x    = default( dest_x,     ox )
dest_y    = default( dest_y,     oy )
strength  = (Smode==1)
 \        ? default( strength,  160 )
 \        : default( strength,  100 )
strength  = (Smode==2&&strength>100) ? 100 : strength
radius    = default( radius,      2 )
Lmode     = default( Lmode,       1 )
wide      = default( wide,    false )
overshoot = default( overshoot, 1)
undershoot= default( undershoot, overshoot)
softdec   = default( soft,        0 )
soft    =  softdec!=-1 ? softdec : sqrt( (((ss_x+ss_y)/2.0-1.0)*100.0) ) * 10
soft    = soft>100 ? 100 : soft
edgemode  = default( edgemode,    0 )
special   = default( special, false )
exborder  = default( exborder, 0)
#radius =   round( radius*(ss_x+ss_y)/2)  #  If it's you, Mug Funky - feel free to activate it again  
xxs=round(ox*ss_x/8)*8
yys=round(oy*ss_y/8)*8
smx=exborder==0?dest_x:round(dest_x/Exborder/4)*4
smy=exborder==0?dest_y:round(dest_y/Exborder/4)*4

clp.isYV12() ? clp : clp.converttoyv12()

ss_x != 1.0 || ss_y != 1.0 ? last.lanczos4Resize(xxs,yys) : last
tmp = last

edge = mt_logic( tmp.mt_edge(thY1=0,thY2=255,"8 16 8 0 0 0 -8 -16 -8 4")
 \              ,tmp.mt_edge(thY1=0,thY2=255,"8 0 -8 16 0 -16 8 0 -8 4")
 \              ,"max") .mt_lut("x 128 / 0.86 ^ 255 *") #.levels(0,0.86,128,0,255,false) 

tmpsoft       = tmp.removegrain(11,-1)
dark_limit1   = tmp.mt_inpand()
bright_limit1 = tmp.mt_expand()
dark_limit    = (wide==false) ? dark_limit1   : dark_limit1  .removegrain(20,-1).mt_inpand()
bright_limit  = (wide==false) ? bright_limit1 : bright_limit1.removegrain(20,-1).mt_expand() 
minmaxavg     = special==false
 \            ? mt_average(dark_limit1, bright_limit1)
 \            : mt_merge(dark_limit,bright_limit,tmp.removegrain(11,-1),Y=3,U=-128,V=-128)

dfg = MT_lutxy(last, fq2d("bcl", 256, 0, gamma=1, rescale=false), "y "+string(round(strength/100))+" * 127 + X + 127 -", u=2, v=2).invert

#smode 2 is the modification
Str=string(float(strength)/100.0)
normsharp = Smode==1 ? MT_lutxy(dfg, fq2d(dfg, "bcl", 256, 0, gamma=1, rescale=false), "y "+string(round(strength/100))+" * 127 + X + 127 -", u=2, v=2).invert
 \        : Smode==2 ? unsharp(vary=1.5, varc=1.5, strength=1)
 \        : Smode==3 ? mt_lutxy(tmp,minmaxavg,yexpr="x x y - "+Str+" * +")
 \        :            mt_lutxy(tmp,tmpsoft,"x y == x x x y - abs 16 / 1 2 / ^ 16 * "+Str+
 \                       " * x y - 2 ^ x y - 2 ^ "+Str+" 100 * 25 / + / * x y - x y - abs / * + ?")

OS = string(overshoot)
US = string(undershoot)
mt_lutxy( bright_limit, normsharp, yexpr="y x "+OS+" + < y x y x - "+OS+" - 1 2 / ^ + "+OS+" + ?")
mt_lutxy( dark_limit, last, yexpr="y x "+US+" - > y x x y - "+US+" - 1 2 / ^ - "+US+" - ?")

Lmode==1 ? mt_clamp(normsharp, bright_limit, dark_limit, overshoot, undershoot) : last

normal = last
zero   = mt_clamp(normsharp, bright_limit, dark_limit, 0,0)

Lmode==3 ? mt_merge(normal,zero,edge.mt_inflate()) : normal

edgemode==0  ?  last 
 \  : edgemode==1  ?  mt_merge(tmp,last,edge.mt_inflate().mt_inflate().removegrain(11,-1),Y=3,U=1,V=1)
 \  :                 mt_merge(last,tmp,edge.mt_inflate().mt_inflate().removegrain(11,-1),Y=3,U=1,V=1)

AMNT  = string(soft)
AMNT2 = string(100-soft)
sharpdiff=mt_makediff(tmp,last)
sharpdiff2=mt_lutxy(sharpdiff,sharpdiff.removegrain(19,-1),
 \           "x 128 - abs y 128 - abs > y "+AMNT+" * x "+AMNT2+" * + 100 / x ?")

soft==0 ? last : mt_makediff(tmp,sharpdiff2)

(ss_x != 1.0 || ss_y != 1.0) 
\ || (dest_x != ox || dest_y != oy) ? lanczos4Resize(dest_x,dest_y) : last

ex=blankclip(last,width=smx,height=smy,color=$FFFFFF).addborders(2,2,2,2).coloryuv(levels="TV->PC")
 \.blur(1.3).mt_inpand().blur(1.3).bicubicresize(dest_x,dest_y,1.0,.0)
tmp =  clp.lanczos4Resize(dest_x,dest_y)

clp.isYV12() ? ( exborder==0 ? tmp.mergeluma(last)
 \                           : mt_merge(tmp,last,ex,Y=3,U=1,V=1) )
 \           : ( exborder==0 ? tmp.mergeluma(last.converttoyuy2())
 \                           : tmp.mergeluma( mt_merge(tmp.converttoyv12(),last,ex,Y=3,U=1,V=1)
 \                                           .converttoyuy2()) )

(edgemode!= -1) ? last : edge.lanczos4Resize(dest_x,dest_y).greyscale

return last
}

Last edited by *.mp4 guy; 21st November 2008 at 03:33.
Old 11th November 2008, 11:01   #8  |  Link
2Bdecided

Ah, super slow sharpen at HD resolutions!

Thank you mp4 guy - that gives me plenty to play with. I reckon about 1 week per minute of video on my PC!

Cheers,
David.
Old 11th November 2008, 20:30   #9  |  Link
Adub
Fighting spam with a fish

Sweeeeeeeetttt. Now that I am upgrading my comp, and this has been brought back to life, I my just have to break in my new beast with this left-right-left combo.
Old 11th November 2008, 21:42   #10  |  Link
scharfis_brain
brainless

try this little detail enhancer:

x1=subtract(source.deen("a2d",5,4,0),source)
result=subtract(source,x1)

5 is spatial radius
4 is luma threshold
0 is chroma threshold (you usually don't want to enhance nonexistent chroma detail, i.e. noise)

this script will only amplify faint detail/textures while leaving edges alone.

Don't PM me for technical support, please.
scharfis_brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 17:11   #11  |  Link
2Bdecided

Thank you scharfus_brain - I'm sure I'll find a use for that, but the effect of subtracting deen is more subtle than I was looking for in this case.

mp4 guy - I love this script (apart from the speed!).

btw, the modified LSF above crashes on start-up for me, so I'm using my old version for now. The error I'm getting is ": expected at start of line 88" - which is strange, given that there is one! I don't think I have the function unsharp - remind me what that's part of again please?

I need a new PC!

Cheers,
David.
Old 20th November 2008, 18:32   #12  |  Link
Gavino
Avisynth language lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Bdecided View Post
btw, the modified LSF above crashes on start-up for me, so I'm using my old version for now. The error I'm getting is ": expected at start of line 88" - which is strange, given that there is one!
Remove the comment from the line before.
Code:
 \        : Smode==2 ? unsharp(vary=1.5, varc=1.5, strength=1)#modification
Comments are not allowed inside a continued line.

EDIT: (Or if using v2.58, change to /* ... */ which I think is allowed)

Last edited by Gavino; 20th November 2008 at 18:34.
Gavino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 18:39   #13  |  Link
kemuri-_9
Compiling Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavino View Post
Remove the comment from the line before.
Code:
 \        : Smode==2 ? unsharp(vary=1.5, varc=1.5, strength=1)#modification
Comments are not allowed inside a continued line.

EDIT: (Or if using v2.58, change to /* ... */ which I think is allowed)
/* + */ and [* + *] are fine on continued lines in 2.58.
Old 21st November 2008, 02:39   #14  |  Link
halsboss
likes to tinker

I have the same "softening" issue for PAL 1080i25 -> 576i25 DVD. With respect to post #1 and resizing interlaced ... I'd thought this was the quick way to resize without having to bob and still get a reasonable output/speed tradeoff (ignoring sharpening for the moment) ?
Code:
AssumeFPS(25) 
AssumeTFF() 
Global NewHeight=576 
Global NewWidth=720 
# PURE VERSION PER http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1185790#post1185790  
SetMTmode(mode=2,threads=4) # mode=2 for temporal multi-threading (interleaved frames) 
SeparateFields()  
#LimitedSharpenFaster(smode=4,strength=100)  # doesn't seem to do much if done here
Shift = (GetParity() ? -0.25 : 0.25) * (Height()/Float(NewHeight/2)-1.0) 
E  = SelectEven().Spline36resize(NewWidth, NewHeight/2, 0,    Shift) 
O  = SelectOdd( ).Spline36resize(NewWidth, NewHeight/2, 0,   -Shift) 
Ec = SelectEven().Spline36Resize(NewWidth, NewHeight/2, 0,  2*Shift) 
Oc = SelectOdd( ).Spline36Resize(NewWidth, NewHeight/2, 0, -2*shift) 
Interleave(E, O) 
IsYV12() ? MergeChroma(Interleave(Ec, Oc)) : Last 
#LimitedSharpenFaster(smode=4,strength=100)  # doesn't seem to do much if done here either
Weave() 
Distributor() # use this when using HC and SetMTmode, per http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1063622#post1063622

Quote:
Originally Posted by *.mp4 guy View Post
Code:
limitedsharpenfaster(smode=2, strength=400, ss_x=1, ss_y=1)#modified to use a different sharpening kernel
Just wondering the reason for a modified kernel ?

Last edited by halsboss; 21st November 2008 at 02:44.
halsboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 03:28   #15  |  Link
*.mp4 guy

It's more accurate, and its adjustable (though I didn't code the adjustability into lsf).
Old 21st November 2008, 08:08   #16  |  Link
halsboss
likes to tinker

I must be missing something with that new limitedsharpenfaster - as far as I can tell, for smode=2 it
  • sets vary and varc and doesn't use them (must be preparation for adjustability)
  • calculates clip dfg and doesn't use it in smode=2
  • changes smode=1 processing
  • substitutes unsharp for sharpen in smode=2

Just wondering how to interpret
Quote:
automttap3(704, 576)#a sub function of an interpolation script, uses backprojection to adaptively choose the number of taps to use on a per source pixel pasis, avoidsmost ringing while otherwise performing similarly to high tap lanczos
Does that mean it's sharpening as it resizing ?

Last edited by halsboss; 21st November 2008 at 08:52.
Old 21st November 2008, 09:16   #17  |  Link
*.mp4 guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by halsboss View Post
I must be missing something with that new limitedsharpenfaster - as far as I can tell, for smode=2 it
  • [1]sets vary and varc and doesn't use them (must be preparation for adjustability)
    [2]calculates clip dfg and doesn't use it in smode=2
    [3]changes smode=1 processing
    [4]substitutes unsharp for sharpen in smode=2

[5]Just wondering how to interpret Does that mean it's sharpening as it resizing ?
1 - it uses them, but they are not directly accesable through the lsf funtion, which is what I was saying.
2 - probably an oversight on my part
3 - see 2
4 - this combined with 1 results in a slightly larger, much more accurate sharpening kernel, which produces different results then the sharpen function.

The sharpen function aplieas a simple and inaccurate 3X3 sharpening FIR filter, that uses in total 5 pixels (iirc), the unsharp function, applies an accurate gaussian distribution derived unsharp mask that accurately uses many pixels, even at relatively low radii.

The differences aren't very big, but its one of the versions of lsf that I use, and its what was used to produce the screenshot, so I had to post it when I posted the script.

5 - No.
Old 21st November 2008, 10:20   #18  |  Link
halsboss
likes to tinker

OK, thanks. Re 5. would this
Quote:
function automttap3mod(clip clp, int "dx", int "dy", float "src_left", float "src_top", int "mtaps3", int "thresh"){
# http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...73#post1211873
# automttap3(720, 576)
# a sub function of an interpolation script,
# uses backprojection to adaptively choose the number of taps to use on a per source pixel pasis,
# avoids most ringing while otherwise performing similarly to high tap lanczos.
# modified to be compatible with float src_left, float src_top

c = clp
#g = clp.converttoy8()

dx = default(dx, c.width*2)
dy = default(dy, c.height*2)
src_left = default(src_left, 0.0)
src_top = default(src_top, 0.0)
mtaps3 = default(mtaps3, 1)
thresh = default(thresh, 256)

t1 = lanczosresize(clp, dx, dy, src_left, src_top, taps=1)
t2 = lanczosresize(clp, dx, dy, src_left, src_top, taps=2)
t3 = lanczosresize(clp, dx, dy, src_left, src_top, taps=3)
t4 = lanczosresize(clp, dx, dy, src_left, src_top, taps=4)
t5 = lanczosresize(clp, dx, dy, src_left, src_top, taps=5)
t6 = lanczosresize(clp, dx, dy, src_left, src_top, taps=9)
t7 = lanczosresize(clp, dx, dy, src_left, src_top, taps=36)

m1 = mt_makediff(clp, lanczosresize(t1, clp.width, clp.height, src_left, src_top, taps=1), u=1, v=1)
m2 = mt_makediff(clp, lanczosresize(t2, clp.width, clp.height, src_left, src_top, taps=1), u=1, v=1)
m3 = mt_makediff(clp, lanczosresize(t3, clp.width, clp.height, src_left, src_top, taps=1), u=1, v=1)
m4 = mt_makediff(clp, lanczosresize(t4, clp.width, clp.height, src_left, src_top, taps=2), u=1, v=1)
m5 = mt_makediff(clp, lanczosresize(t5, clp.width, clp.height, src_left, src_top, taps=2), u=1, v=1)
m6 = mt_makediff(clp, lanczosresize(t6, clp.width, clp.height, src_left, src_top, taps=3), u=1, v=1)
m7 = mt_makediff(clp, lanczosresize(t7, clp.width, clp.height, src_left, src_top, taps=6), u=1, v=1)

cp1 = mt_merge(t1.blur(1.42), t2, lanczosresize(mt_lutxy(m1, m2, "x 128 - abs y 128 - abs - "+string(thresh)+" *", u=1, v=1), dx, dy, src_left, src_top, taps=mtaps3))
m100 = mt_makediff(clp, bilinearresize(cp1, clp.width, clp.height, src_left, src_top), u=3, v=3)

cp2 = mt_merge(cp1, t3, lanczosresize(mt_lutxy(m100, m3, "x 128 - abs y 128 - abs - "+string(thresh)+" *", u=1, v=1), dx, dy, src_left, src_top, taps=mtaps3))
m101 = mt_makediff(clp, bilinearresize(cp2, clp.width, clp.height, src_left, src_top), u=3, v=3)

cp3 = mt_merge(cp2, t4, lanczosresize(mt_lutxy(m101, m4, "x 128 - abs y 128 - abs - "+string(thresh)+" *", u=1, v=1), dx, dy, src_left, src_top, taps=mtaps3))
m102 = mt_makediff(clp, bilinearresize(cp3, clp.width, clp.height, src_left, src_top), u=3, v=3)

cp4 = mt_merge(cp3, t5, lanczosresize(mt_lutxy(m102, m5, "x 128 - abs y 128 - abs - "+string(thresh)+" *", u=1, v=1), dx, dy, src_left, src_top, taps=mtaps3))
m103 = mt_makediff(clp, bilinearresize(cp4, clp.width, clp.height, src_left, src_top), u=3, v=3)

cp5 = mt_merge(cp4, t6, lanczosresize(mt_lutxy(m103, m6, "x 128 - abs y 128 - abs - "+string(thresh)+" *", u=1, v=1), dx, dy, src_left, src_top, taps=mtaps3))
m104 = mt_makediff(clp, bilinearresize(cp5, clp.width, clp.height, src_left, src_top), u=3, v=3)

cp6 = mt_merge(cp5, t7, lanczosresize(mt_lutxy(m104, m7, "x 128 - abs y 128 - abs - "+string(thresh)+" *", u=1, v=1), dx, dy, src_left, src_top, taps=mtaps3))
m105 = mt_makediff(clp, bilinearresize(cp6, clp.width, clp.height, src_left, src_top), u=3, v=3)

return(mergechroma(cp6, spline36resize(clp, dx, dy), 1))}
make it more "compatible" with replacing standard calls to a resizer like Spline36 (per post 14), by adding a couple of parameters ? I'm not sure I've added stuff in the right places.

If it doesn't sharpen, is its advantage that it mitigates ringing then or are there other benefits too ?

Last edited by halsboss; 21st November 2008 at 10:30.
Old 21st November 2008, 10:43   #19  |  Link
halsboss
likes to tinker

Wow. Using that seems to slow post 14 script down from
pass 1 encoding time: 0:00:32 (32.16 s)
fps: 23.3
to
pass 1 encoding time: 0:04:18 (258.01 s)
fps: 2.9

For a footy game, the convert time has gone from ~3h to ~30h
The file size has gone up by a few % so it's done something. Now I have 2 .mpv's how can I compare them (it's late and my eyes are going).

Last edited by halsboss; 21st November 2008 at 10:47.
Old 21st November 2008, 12:07   #20  |  Link
*.mp4 guy

making the script compatable with crops/pixel shifts is going to be much more complicated then that.

its benefit is that it gives you the interpolative performance of high tap lanczos (wich is very good at eliminating aliasing, and maintaining detail) while greatly reducing the amount of ringing. Unless your source is extremely sharp, and causes other interpolators to leave aliasing behind, or blur detail, then you shouldn't use it.

It was usefull in this case because I had to oversharpen the source so much, many of the lines became extremely (over)sharp and would leave aliasing behind when using other interpolators to downsize the image, in this case automttap3 was usefull, because it could remove the aliasing while maintaing (slightly) better sharpness, which is not something that many filters can do.

The vast majority of images won't cause problems when using normal interpolators to downsize an image, so it is only usefull when your source is tough, or you want every last drop of detail at your final resolution, without worrying about speed.

If you really want to see what it does, take a really sharp, high res image, downsize it with a a regular resizer by 2x, then enlarge by 2x, then compare it to the same procedure, using automttap3 instead.

for your football game, if it was sufficiently high res, and sufficiently sharp, you should be able to see a reduction in aliasing on lines, and extremely fine detail will be preserved a little better.

Last edited by *.mp4 guy; 21st November 2008 at 13:19.