Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 5th May 2021, 17:16   #61461  |  Link
nghiabeo20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Well....you can always switch to one of the madvr competitors. LMAO
What is a worthy one? I switched to mpv since MPC development stopped, and never look back, though I understand madvr IQ is better.
nghiabeo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2021, 17:39   #61462  |  Link
SamuriHL

That was sort of the joke there in my response. There isn't one.
Old 5th May 2021, 18:44   #61463  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nghiabeo20 View Post
... since MPC development stopped ...
Last version is one day old...

Apart from addition of dark there, seekbar preview, youtube-dl integration, updated LAV, webvtt sub support, mpcvr support, cue sheet support, A-B repeat, and lots of stability and performance improvements, nothing interesting has changed though
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2021, 14:38   #61464  |  Link
nghiabeo20

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Last version is one day old...

Apart from addition of dark there, seekbar preview, youtube-dl integration, updated LAV, webvtt sub support, mpcvr support, cue sheet support, A-B repeat, and lots of stability and performance improvements, nothing interesting has changed though
youtube-dl? Now we're talking.

Edit: are you talking about MPC-BE? and is there any comparision between madvr and MPC VR, haven't found anything.

Last edited by nghiabeo20; 7th May 2021 at 14:45.
Old 7th May 2021, 18:09   #61465  |  Link
huhn

no he is talking about mpc-hc because he is in charge of the continued development of the most used fork of mpc-hc.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2021, 22:59   #61466  |  Link
DennisF

Hi all, I'm trying my hand at building a source filter to feed into madVR. If I build a simple CTransformFilter connected between a source and madVR and then in::Transform(IMediaSample* pIn, IMediaSample* pOut) call pOut->QueryInterface(&pMediaSideData), pMediaSideData is a valid pointer to a IMediaSideData structure (LAV definition) and madVR picks that up as expected.

Now if I try to DIY a source and pin by deriving from CBaseOutputPin, connect that to madVR's input pin and and in there override :: DecideAllocator(IMemInputPin* pPin, IMemAllocator** ppAlloc) to just do a pPin->GetAllocator(ppAlloc); that leads to a valid allocator from madVR (at least I think so because msvc debugger has no symbols and madvr.ax shows up on some parts, so working assumption is that it's what I expect). Then doing a m_pAllocator->GetBuffer(&pSample, NULL, NULL, 0); to get an IMediaSample filled works as expected and gives me video output. However pOut->QueryInterface(&pMediaSideData) leads to a nullptr in pMediaSideData. I'm a bit baffled as to what's going on here. Any tips?
DennisF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2021, 14:39   #61467  |  Link
nghiabeo20

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
no he is talking about mpc-hc because he is in charge of the continued development of the most used fork of mpc-hc.
OK I see the github repo.

My switch to mpv have to happen anyway, as I now mostly use Linux and mac.
Old 10th May 2021, 11:45   #61468  |  Link
oddball

I've just created a 3DLut for MadVR using DisplayCal. This works well unless I enable Fullscreen Exclusive Mode in MadVR. It completely throws out incorrect colors when I play HDR content. It seems to pull the color correction from the 3DLut and apply it to HDR output (Bug perhaps?). Is there any way I can calibrate FullScreen Exclusive Mode in DisplayCal or fix it so MadVR does not use the 3DLut from SDR?
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2021, 19:15   #61469  |  Link
Asmodian

Why do you want to use Fullscreen Exclusive mode?

In Windows 10 Fullscreen Exclusive is fake anyway, I get better results not using it at all now.
Old 11th May 2021, 01:38   #61470  |  Link
crmb

I am a bit confused by "Disable gamma ramp" checkbox.

My main monitor is calibrated (color profile applied in windows 7).

With the box ticked, it seems everything looks fine. And i can tell that the windows color profile is also applied to MPC (windowed & fullscreen).

However with the box unticked (default) i get the feeling that the color profile is applied again (so applied twice) because the colors looks odd.

My rendering settings :
- enable windowed overlay : checked
- everything else : not checked

Last edited by crmb; 11th May 2021 at 01:52.
crmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2021, 02:41   #61471  |  Link
Asmodian

It sounds like Windowed Overlay isn't working as it should, which GPU do you have?

Windowed Overlay is supposed to bypass the color profile so it must be applied manually by madVR. Checking disable gamma ramp stops it from applying the color profile manually, but it doesn't disable it globally.

Turning off Windowed Overlay should change the behavior to disable the color profile globally when madVR is running.
Old 11th May 2021, 03:24   #61472  |  Link
glc650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Why do you want to use Fullscreen Exclusive mode?

In Windows 10 Fullscreen Exclusive is fake anyway, I get better results not using it at all now.
I have to use FSE or I get glitches (visible and in OSD). This is with latest Windows 10 and Nvidia 1660 drivers.
glc650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2021, 06:38   #61473  |  Link
Asmodian

Have you tried setting the frames presented in advance to one?

Last edited by Asmodian; 11th May 2021 at 07:08.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2021, 14:30   #61474  |  Link
Siso

@crmb

Same thing happened to me when I decided to test windowed overlay, it seems that the profile is applied twice resulting in increased saturation and crushed blacks.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2021, 22:33   #61475  |  Link
glc650

Quote:
Have you tried setting the frames presented in advance to one?
That gives me dropped frames and the madVR OSD flickers. If I set to 2 or 3 I still get dropped frames (but OSD is displayed correctly).

If I leave at 8 i get glitches (that are visible and show in OSD).

If I set high enough above 8 I still get visible glitches (but they don't show in OSD) and audio can go out of sync.

If I set at 8 or higher with one of the flush options enabled for "after copy to backbuffer" the visible glitches seem to go away but audio still goes out of sync.

FSE is the only way I've found around all of this. I also noticed that with FSE enabled my composition rate is always 60hz (even when display and file is 23) but that doesn't seem to have any negative (visible or in OSD) effects.
glc650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2021, 16:52   #61476  |  Link
BluesFanUK

Can MadVR render a VR video? Potplayer has a neat option where you can switch between 2D and 3D, if MadVR is selected it won't work, vid just plays as if it's side by side.
BluesFanUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2021, 22:37   #61477  |  Link
DennisF

Evening again, FYI solved my previous question, the Directshow graph pin connection wasn't made with ConnectDirect() but Connect() which got some other filter in the way which' allocator didn't support what I wanted.

New question, everything works but madVR crashes upon trying to stop. After reading through the Directshow docs I've tried 2 approaches:
- Deliver a EndOfStream() to the graph and let it run without delivering further frames. Leads to crash and entering the madVR debug window. Last call from madVR64.ax is GlobalWindowProc (direct3d.cpp, line 106) and after a few calls it hits an exception.
- Call Stop() on the graph's IMediaControl interface. Leads to another crash without madVR's debug window popping up.

Is there anything special here to take into account wrt madVR?
DennisF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2021, 05:11   #61478  |  Link
crmb

Quote:
It sounds like Windowed Overlay isn't working as it should, which GPU do you have?

Windowed Overlay is supposed to bypass the color profile so it must be applied manually by madVR. Checking disable gamma ramp stops it from applying the color profile manually, but it doesn't disable it globally.

Turning off Windowed Overlay should change the behavior to disable the color profile globally when madVR is running.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
Same thing happened to me when I decided to test windowed overlay, it seems that the profile is applied twice resulting in increased saturation and crushed blacks.
I have a 1060GTX with latest drivers.
Yes without "windowed overlay", and with "disable gamma ramp" ticked the window profile is globally disabled.
If i untick "disable gamma ramp" the global profile come back and is also applied (once) to the player.

I think windowed overlay helped on some video that dropped frames (maybe when i was moving the player across monitors)

Last edited by crmb; 13th May 2021 at 05:16.
crmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2021, 04:44   #61479  |  Link
lostclusters

Hello all:

I am trying to get madVR configured in MPC-HC. After everything installed, configured MPC-HC, run up a video to get started and madHcCtrl.exe gives me a system error "The code execution cannot proceed because unrar.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem." I searched up and down and found nothing useful. And of course madVR will not load. How do I stop/fix the error?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I fixed it. I found a post on Stackoverflow.com (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...-split-archive), downloaded the file, used winrar to open the .exe (can not be too careful these days), put the unrar.* files in the madVR directory, and voila! Success! I leave this here in case anyone else is looking for a fix to this problem. Oh, the 64 bit edition of the .dll would not work for me.

Last edited by lostclusters; 16th May 2021 at 05:21.
lostclusters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2021, 05:37   #61480  |  Link
huhn

the unrar.dll should be delivered with the madVR download.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling