Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > PC Hard & Software

Old 25th March 2021, 21:36   #1  |  Link
Nico8583

Dedicated PC to encode ?

Hi,
Since I started encoding, I have always used a dedicated PC for this purpose. But I would like to know if there is a real interest to do that? I only have a "home" use (mainly internet browsing) on this PC and I only have a personal use for my x264 or x265 encodings. If the deal is to just don't use my PC during encoding, no problem.
But perhap some elements on the PC could disturb the encoding (software, process, update, etc...)?
Thank you !
Nico8583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2021, 22:46   #2  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Updates you would want to disable definitely.
Other things should be running fine along with encoding.

Should. -> Some software might use up lots of RAM (like working on a 32GB RAM system in Vegas with 20GB given for RAM scrubbing,
-> you wont have that much left over for greedy scripts).
Some software in development might leak or won't free up RAM properly.

All this is of no concern if the machine that encodes has only that main job.
Old 25th March 2021, 23:08   #3  |  Link
Nico8583

Thank you, I don't use a lot of softwares on this PC (16GB RAM and I rarely use more than 8GB).
Perhaps I could make a dual boot, 1 for the daily use and 1 for encoding ? It would be better ?
Edit : Or perhaps I could virtualize the OS dedicated to encode ? I don't know if perfs will be affected a lot by a virtualization

Last edited by Nico8583; 25th March 2021 at 23:42.
Old 25th March 2021, 23:54   #4  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

The tasks one or the other OS has to do anyway will not interfere more or less. Or do security concerns take prevalence ?
Dual-boot is unnecessary as long as you don't call the police into your encoding system to stand at any door.
Read: no antivirus, no virtualisation, and jobs will be done quickly.
If you cant live without such police, well then it is time for a unrestricted second encoding system.
Old 26th March 2021, 00:46   #5  |  Link
butterw2

It's possible to use your PC during encoding, just set the encoding task priority to low.

Also, some encoding apps allow pausing to free ressources if required.
butterw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2021, 13:11   #6  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

I personally like to have at least one alternate machine for encode, maybe keep good one for everyday use [or other way around].
So long as you have no immediate need for quick result, then your encode m/c can take as long as it likes
without you having to bother with it, and have it auto shut down when done.
If your encode software dont auto shut down, then I like this [AMP WinOff 5.0.1, XP+, x86 x64, Stable, not needed update for years]
http://www.ampsoft.net/utilities/WinOFF.php
With VNC [Virtual Network Computing, I think], you can connect to alt machine virtually and dont need keyboard or
monitor on 2nd m/c, I use TightVNC for this on windows, [and maybe TigerVNC by same people on Linux].
If 2nd machine is totally offline [a good idea], then dont need AntiVirus, or Auto Update stuff active.
2nd m/c would ideally be W7+, but I also use spare XP m/c for same.

EDIT: Some Info on AMP Winoff:- https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php...0&postcount=90
Quote:
There is a great little utility that I thought deserved another mention here on-site, I did a search and
AMP WinOFF has not had mention since 2004. AMP WinOFF is a utility whose best attribute is
that it can shut down/hibernate etc, the computer under various conditions, mainly that where the CPU
usage falls below a user selected level of activity. Most similar type programs pretend they do this, but what
they measure is "User Activity" rather than CPU activity, not quite the same, and probably of limited use
to Doom9 members.
I have been using WinOFF since about 2004, perhaps earlier and have always
been very happy with it. I noticed recently that a number of threads were concerned with adding shutdown
type capability into eg Encoder GUI's, with AMP WinOFF, this becomes completely un-necessary,
especially if doing several jobs simultaneouly, you would not want to shutdown just because one of those
jobs has completed, that type of utility function should be implemented at a machine level.

EDIT: Also Handy to have [AutoLogon, from SysInternals, ie Microsoft]:- https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sys...oads/autologon
Quote:
Introduction

Autologon enables you to easily configure Windows’ built-in autologon mechanism. Instead of waiting for a user to enter their name and password, Windows uses the credentials you enter with Autologon, which are encrypted in the Registry, to log on the specified user automatically.
Handy for alt machine without keyboard/monitor, I also use for auto logon on main machine.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 26th March 2021 at 13:40.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2021, 23:11   #7  |  Link
Nico8583

Thank you, until now I have a dedicated PC and I can stay in this situation. But if I can reduce it could be a good solution
So you advise me to keep 2 separated PC ?
Old 27th March 2021, 22:27   #8  |  Link
Asmodian

For your use case I suggest using one PC, there is nothing wrong with web browsing or even light gaming while encoding. I do it all the time on my main desktop.

Auto-rebooting in the middle of an encode to install updates is really annoying, but that situation does not change with the number of PCs.

Dual booting to Linux for encoding I something I would like to do, but I have still never actually set it up.
Old 28th March 2021, 11:47   #9  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

One or two [or more] PC's is personal choice, with multi machines, I still use primary machine for setup of encode script,
just copy [not move, in case of probs on 2nd m/c] to secondary machine for encode. You still have option for primary machine encode if in hurry for something [assuming primary is fastest machine].
Having secondary machine offline and without updates etc means no interruptions, but can still shutdown/reboot [maybe to linux],
primary if required [I reboot multiple times per day, usually].
Its nice to put an old machiine to use, instead of just chucking a perfectly usable PC in bin, although I would not entertain
keeping anything less than quad core [although at least one on-site still uses Pentium III single core without SSE2 for encodes].

Its all personal choice really, and whether or not you have space for extra machines.

EDIT:
Quote:
but that situation does not change with the number of PCs.
It does if the additional machines are not on-line [and with updates disabled, disable update service].

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 28th March 2021 at 11:59.
Old 28th March 2021, 23:19   #10  |  Link
Nico8583

Thank you
I'm on Windows 10 and I control Windows Update with a local policy so I can run it when I want to apply updates so WU is not a problem.
I'm checking what I'll really do with this PC and I'll use it only to encode and to launch backups on demand (export disk backup to tape) and that's all. So I don't know if I really need a dedicated PC just to export backups to tape. I'm hesitating...
Old 3rd April 2021, 05:24   #11  |  Link
loninapleton

It depends on how much gear you want to set up. For years I have run 3 old PCs on a Windows 7 ehtrernet workgroup. One of those I use for encoding-- set and forget.

--

I was in here looking fdor hardware tips to possibly start doing enhanced encoding of the Topaz variety. Maybe someone can direct me to the right thread as I don't really know how to describe it to a search.
loninapleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2021, 13:49   #12  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

The only one with Topaz in thread name: [Have you ever used Topaz Video Enhance AI? ]
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...ighlight=topaz

Or for posts, in Doom9 Search, search
keyword "topaz encode"
Show results as "Posts".
Gets about 21 hits.

Google Search
Code:
("Topaz" Near "Encode") site:forum.doom9.org
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%2...4dUDCAw&uact=5

Probably similar results to the D9 search.

EDIT: without parenthesis, 94 hits
Code:
"Topaz" Near "Encode" site:forum.doom9.org
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%2...4dUDCAw&uact=5

Last edited by StainlessS; 3rd April 2021 at 13:54.